• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Help about rechecking(cambridge A level)

Reaction score
A friend of mine has got a B in chemistry and I have got a C. The paper grades are the same but how could he get a B and me a C? I was thinking of doing a recheck but some people told me that i am risking my grades telling me that my grades can be degraded from a C to a D, is this true?

Reaction score
Yes its true!

The three possible outcomes are:
- Original mark is lowered, so your final grade may be lower than the original garde you received
- Original mark is confirmed as correct, and there is no change to your grade
- Original mark is raised, so your final grade may be higher than the original grade you received

Meo

Reaction score
hello,

even if you have the same component grades, doesn't mean you're going to obtain the same marks, hence, the same grade.

Take this for an example,

For AS Physics.

Candidate A scored an A and his component grades were B A B (paper 1, paper 2 and paper 3 respectively)
Candidate B scored a B and as you guessed it, the same component grades.

This is possible because, candidate B may have scored a low A for paper 2 while candidate A scored a stronger A. This is just one of the cases, there are still more possibilities but this is the only example I have at the back of my head.

Reaction score
It's all related to grade thresholds. You probably missed your grade B by just a few marks. I wouldn't recommend rechecking to anyone as it's not an easy process, it takes time, it's expensive and if you're fine then let me tell you a true story. One of my friends got B in Accounting I think and he went for the recheck as he had complete faith his paper went better and after rechecking they didn't change anything, then he decided to get a copy of the paper from cie board and check it himself and he was indeed right, not only there were errors in checking but big error in counting the total marks( I think of around 10 marks). He contacted CIE and they said they still wouldn't change and then his further questions were just ignored. So think before you get them rechecked because it's really expensive and if you're applying to a university then there's a chance that it would take time for rechecking and you might miss the admission dates. Although there's one good thing that if your grade improves then you get your fee for rechecking back as per CIE policies.