• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

GUYS CHECK THIS OUT AND TELL ME THAT IS A* AT 95%?

Reaction score
It has put many of us in doubt here... Let the result come, if there are any changes we will come to know...

Reaction score
I remember this document caused a great deal of confusion and apprehension in our school a few months before these May/June exams. "The A* would be top half of the grade A i.e. 95 +" is only when CIE grades are converted by IBCC to get equivalent marks for admission in Pakistani universities. According to Cambridge, grade A* is still at 90% and above marks (percentile) followed by A at 80% and above marks and so on. So I believe there is nothing to worry about. :)

Reaction score
abcde said:
I remember this document caused a great deal of confusion and apprehension in our school a few months before these May/June exams. "The A* would be top half of the grade A i.e. 95 +" is only when CIE grades are converted by IBCC to get equivalent marks for admission in Pakistani universities. According to Cambridge, grade A* is still at 90% and above marks (percentile) followed by A at 80% and above marks and so on. So I believe there is nothing to worry about. :)
Exactly !!

Reaction score
If anyone here has studied SCALING would understand that it doesn't matter if the Uniform Percentage Mark is 95 or 90 for an A. Once the statistical procedures are applied, any score in the actual papers could be scaled to one of the two boundaries, so in the end the actual score for e.g. 145/170 for an A* will remain the same regardless of the UPM.

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
If anyone here has studied SCALING would understand that it doesn't matter if the Uniform Percentage Mark is 95 or 90 for an A. Once the statistical procedures are applied, any score in the actual papers could be scaled to one of the two boundaries, so in the end the actual score for e.g. 145/170 for an A* will remain the same regardless of the UPM.

errr... what? :S

Reaction score
Yes. Nothing has changed, except the banning of percentage being printed on the Statement of Result.

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
Yes. Nothing has changed, except the banning of percentage being printed on the Statement of Result.
along with inclusion of a new grade, A*, and the subsequent shifting of UPMs for those grades since May/June 2010. :p

Reaction score
But that happened last year. :p Plus, I don't thing they shifted the UPM. They just stopped printing it, otherwise, they don't give a damn to IBCC. It's not like they'll do everything forced upon on them.

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
But that happened last year. :p Plus, I don't thing they shifted the UPM. They just stopped printing it, otherwise, they don't give a damn to IBCC. It's not like they'll do everything forced upon on them.
Both these things happened simultaneously. They did shift it. There is an official CIE document for that!

Reaction score
Ahan! Probably! :p But as I said, it doesn't changes the standard of the grade!

Reaction score
OH! Now I know what you are talking about! But shifting of UPM took place last year, too. They had to fit in the new grade. Didn't they? Awein making me confused! The A had a new UPM of 80, previously being at 90. Wasn't it obvious? :p

Reaction score
hamidali391 said:
OH! Now I know what you are talking about! But shifting of UPM took place last year, too. They had to fit in the new grade. Didn't they? Awein making me confused! The A had a new UPM of 80, previously being at 90. Wasn't it obvious? :p
Haha! You got confused yourself! :p It was an obvious CHANGE. That's all I said. :D