• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Grading In O'Levels

Reaction score
I've read about how papers in O'Levels are graded by CIE, but haven't quite gotten the hang of it. I'd appreciate it if someone could explain the grading method to me.

Reaction score
Oh, hello there.
The grading method is quite simple actually.

A* : 90 % and above
A : 80 % and above
B : 70 % and above
C : 60 % and above
D : 50 % and above
....So on and so forth.

However, that is the standard grading, but sometimes some exam may be to hard to too easy, in such a case, they may increase or decrease the percentage accordingly. But, ofcourse, we do not know how much or in which paper.

Hope I helped. :)

Reaction score
Yeah I know of the standard grade boundaries, but I still dont get how they may lower or raise them.

Reaction score
Well, for example there was a Biology exam, and all the students who appeared in it throughout the world found it quite easy, and most of them did well in the exam, then CIE would raise the grading boundary so that A* might be achieved at 95% or like that. Same is the case with hard papers, if the candidates found the exam hard, and the average mark throughout the world wasn't as good, CIE might award A* at 85%. So basically, it depends on the difficulty level and average performance of the candidates worldwide.
^^I hope you get it. :)

Reaction score
Well, for example there was a Biology exam, and all the students who appeared in it throughout the world found it quite easy, and most of them did well in the exam, then CIE would raise the grading boundary so that A* might be achieved at 95% or like that. Same is the case with hard papers, if the candidates found the exam hard, and the average mark throughout the world wasn't as good, CIE might award A* at 85%. So basically, it depends on the difficulty level and average performance of the candidates worldwide.
^^I hope you get it. :)
Its called percentile system ==marks obtained/ maximum marks obtained * 100