• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Further Mathematics: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
does anyone have notes for further mechanics...... please post here...... im in an urgent need of them :(

Reaction score
does anyone have notes for Further mechanics??
would be very thankful if your can upload it!

Reaction score
does anyone have notes for further mechanics ...... please post here...... im in an urgent need of them

Reaction score
Hi,

Do u have alll the past papers for 2012? I can't find some 2012 on this site.
Also I need further maths (all modules including mechanics) and chemosytry and physics.

Thanks

Reaction score
Help please june 2005 paper 1 question 10(complex)
second part

You have listed the roots for (a) w^12 = 1.

Now, you have (z+2)^12 = z^12
z = 0 is not a root of the given equation, hence we can divide by z^12, with justification
you get
{(z+2)/z } ^12 = 1
Making a substitution y = (z+2)/z;
you obtain the equation from (a). However, the task is to show that is has 10 non-real roots. Let us find all the roots at first.
y^12 = 1 has 12 roots: 1, -1 and 10 non-real
let us write these roots as (cos A + i*sin A), where A is dependent on natural k (in fact, A = 2pi*k/12, k = 0,6, +-1,2,3,4,5, A is introduced for convenience)
now, after we have found the roots for y, let us find roots z:
(z + 2) / z = cos A + i sin A
then, 1 + 2/z = cos A + i sin A
2/z = cos A + i sin A - 1
z = 2/ (cos A + i sin A - 1)

Multiplying by conjugate, note that conjugate is (cos A - 1 - i sin A), not (cos A + i sin A +1)
[some digression here: we should justify that we are multiplying by a number (cos A - 1 - i sin A). we cannot multiply by 0 (!) so,
cos A - 1 - i sin A = 0 implies that cos A = 1. In turn, A = 0. hence, z = 1, which is NOT a root of the given equation, so cos A - 1 - i sin A is not = 0, hence we justified the multiplication(or we can say that we are not interested in cases when cos A=1, because z = 1 is not a root) ]

z = 2* (cos A - 1 - i sin A) / { (cos A-1)^2 - i^2 * sin^2(A) }
Simplify denominator first,
(cos A - 1)^2 + sin^2(A) = cos(A)^2 + sin^2(A) - 2 cos A + 1 = 2 - 2 cos A = 2 (1 - cos A)
then, z = 2*(cos A - 1 - i sin A) / 2 (1 - cos A)
z = (cos A - 1)/ ( 1 - cos A) - i sin A/ (1 - cos A)

Using formula from trigonometry, tan (A/2) = (1 - cos A)/ sin A; obtain
z = -1 - i*cot(A/2), that is what required. then exclude the possibility A = pi (hence k = 6), since then z = -1 and it is not a non-real number. (so the equation in (b) has 10 non-real roots and -1)

Reaction score
Does anyone has notes on "using de moivre's theorem in the summation of series"?
please help urgent :s

Reaction score
Here's a question for you guys:

A quadratic equation x^2 + bx + c has two real roots which may be distinct or equal. Denoting these roots by r and m, prove that r^(2^n) + m^(2^n) is a polynomial of c in degree 2^(n-1) with leading coefficient 2.

Reaction score
hi guys,
i've been working on momentum and impulse,but i'm getting some difficulty concerning coeff. of restitution on inclined planes.
here's an example:
A ball drops vertically onto a smooth plane inclined to the horizontal at an angle α. It hits the plane
with speed 8ms−1 and rebounds horizontally. The coefficient of restitution between the ball and the
plane is 1/3.
Find the value of α and the speed with which the ball rebounds.
(j06/1)
i would really appreciate it if anybody could help me out with this question.
thanks.

Reaction score
Q4. Last part which involves 'applying sum of squares to obtain result'. I'm unable to see how 2^2 + 4^2 + ....+ (n-1)^2 = the given result.

Attachments

• 9231_w12_qp_12.pdf
    87.5 KB · Views: 19