• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

further mathematics in A level!

Reaction score
I would be giving o level exams in may/june 2012; the subjects being computer,chem,phys,addmaths apart from the compulsory ones in pakistan. My interest heavily lies in mathematics related subjects and I would be taking maths, physic and chem in a level.My question is that should I take further mathematics and self-study it because my school does not offer it? Mind it that I live in mirpur mathelo, ghotki(an isolated place from the big cities so dim chances of academy study) and there is no as level further maths. I had started studying add maths through self-study but later school arranged classes for it.So solutions are needed.
Thanks.

Reaction score
dear. If you have interest in Maths. Then I will ask you whether mechanics or stats is your favorite.
self study will make you difficult but not impossible. you even have no school option for that subject. it is better
if you get coaching even available online . for further P.M. me

Reaction score
I would be giving o level exams in may/june 2012; the subjects being computer,chem,phys,addmaths apart from the compulsory ones in pakistan. My interest heavily lies in mathematics related subjects and I would be taking maths, physic and chem in a level.My question is that should I take further mathematics and self-study it because my school does not offer it? Mind it that I live in mirpur mathelo, ghotki(an isolated place from the big cities so dim chances of academy study) and there is no as level further maths. I had started studying add maths through self-study but later school arranged classes for it.So solutions are needed.
Thanks.
where there is a will there is a way.......if you are good at mathematics and are confident enough to get an A* in math and add math in olevels then u can think of taking further mathematics in A levels....and if u do score both A* s in olevels then u can certainly go for further mathematics in a levels....yes there is no option for further mathematics at As level but if u appear in all four components P1,P3,M1 and S1..in As.(which is the A level(As+A2) mathematics paper)then u can study further mathematics in A2........
here is something tht is good to know...."potential and ambition are two different things"...if u are ambitious then u'll have to consider ur potential..........However,at this point I'd suggest tht u concentrate on ur o levels ....u'll have to climb through every step of the entire staircase to reach to the top...so be careful tht every time u move forward u are careful and cautious.and tht u move step by step...and try not to skip the steps in between....lol @ all the philosophy...but ths may be helpful in a way......so in short...right now keep doing whatever u r doing and do ur best......Have faith in Allah try achieving the A* target in o levels ...then in As give all the four components which wud not be much difficult since u wud be an addmath student...and then go for it....Have faith in Allah.....and u'll get through.........................:)

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply anzaar and tom ed. I was thinking of doing the same thing you(tom ed) wrote i.e. give maths in first year alevel then study further maths in A2. Maths is my strong subject(I usually get full marks or above 90% in school tests, exams and past papers) and I am confident (not overconfident :cautious: ) that i will get A* in both inshallah and I will be working very hard for this purpose.
dear. If you have interest in Maths. Then I will ask you whether mechanics or stats is your favorite.
self study will make you difficult but not impossible. you even have no school option for that subject. it is better
if you get coaching even available online . for further P.M. me
I love physics so perhaps mechanics would be the answer. But I also like statistics and I got A* in statistics in o level oct/nov 2011 through selfstudy.

Reaction score
Thanks.
Bro, I can see a part of me in you and you certainly sound like your determined enough for this... I have 7IGCSE and 1 Olevel subjects (M/J 12) and am also thinking of taking further maths, physics, chemistry but I'm confused between BIO or Accounting. Can you advice me on whether I should take ACC or BIO. I too have a greater interest in math and physics. May Allah help you in what ever subjects you wish to pursue. :)

Reaction score
this will might sound harsh.
i gave further in may june 2012 session.
it not an ordinary math way to advance if you dont have any coaching my suggestion do not go for it

Reaction score
i dont mean to be harsh, but me after getting an A* in math in o level, and self studying 4 or 6 chaps in add maths but not appearing, i appeared for P1 and M1 this session. they mashallah went well, and now i just started P3......im honestly telling you i already completed first five chapters of P3. It isnt that though if our mind sticks to the methods and concentrates..... you wont face any hurdles in getting an A* in A level maths, but in further maths the problem is in addition to A level maths, you have to know S1 S2 M1 M2, so even if u hate stat, you will have to do both books....so score well in FM....your choice.... im not giving FM only because of this.....!!!

Reaction score
Well I have a tutor who I think can teach me further maths though he teaches federal board fsc classes. I will show him the syllabus and past papers and get his opinion.
And I found another way as well. I could use khanacademy and jmt.com for understanding the topics. There are recorded lectures of mit as well. What do you guys say?
Bro, I can see a part of me in you and you certainly sound like your determined enough for this... I have 7IGCSE and 1 Olevel subjects (M/J 12) and am also thinking of taking further maths, physics, chemistry but I'm confused between BIO or Accounting. Can you advice me on whether I should take ACC or BIO. I too have a greater interest in math and physics. May Allah help you in what ever subjects you wish to pursue. :)

Well that depends on your interest and your future career plans. If you want to do CA or ACCA then ofcourse accounting while biology may be for medicine or biotechnology related things.
Anyways thankyou everyone for your replies.

Reaction score
Well I have a tutor who I think can teach me further maths though he teaches federal board fsc classes. I will show him the syllabus and past papers and get his opinion.
And I found another way as well. I could use khanacademy and jmt.com for understanding the topics. There are recorded lectures of mit as well. What do you guys say?

Well that depends on your interest and your future career plans. If you want to do CA or ACCA then ofcourse accounting while biology may be for medicine or biotechnology related things.
Anyways thankyou everyone for your replies.
GO FOR IT>...................good luck.......even if you come out with a C grade or higher its really worth IT...esp when u apply to unis.....its like a very convincing weapon.