• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Fuel Cell?

Reaction score
Ok our teacher never explained something related to fuel cell. I'm very surprised along with my center...

Can someone explain what i need to know about fuel cell? Everything i need for it, Since it's not required massively in syllabus, describe.

Please asap!

Reaction score
U need to know that the electrons flow from the more reactive metal electrode to the less reactive metal electrode and dats why its considered as the "negative pole though it actually is the anode (+ electrode) .
Hydrogen is pumped in from one side and oxygen from de other.
U need to know the half equations at the negative pole and the positive pole.
+ pole ___ 2H2 + 4OH- ----- 4H2O + 4e-
- pole _____ O2 + 2H2O + 4e- ------ 4OH-

And the concentration of OH- ions does not change since its used up again by the anode.
the whole eq. is 2H2 + O2 ----- 2H2O
so the waste product is water, dats y its considered over burning fuel for energy.
Remember dat the anode is the negative pole and
the cathode is the positve pole ... dey might confuse you between them

you can ask any further questions :D
Hope it helped ! :D

Reaction score
Fuel cell is a power generation device, but unlike most non-rechargeable battery used to discard
but also not to continue charging rechargeable batteries run out, but continue to add fuel - hydrogen to maintain their power

hope u got it :D