• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

FSC OR A LEVELS for science students

Reaction score
Last year stats
In 2009, not even a single A levels student was able to get admission in any government medical college. 0 out of the 560 that appeared! Quite a number among them were straight A''s.

The problem is, the MCAT consists MOSTLY of FSC syllabus that A levels students have never seen in their entire lives. Its a rude shock! So does that really mean doing A levels is a big mistake if you want to get admission in any medical college.
Similarly, engineering colleges like LUMS and NUST have also mostly FSC in their syllabus. What option does that leave for us O levels science students??
Oh yeah and about Aga Khan.....which was previously considered a suitable choice by A levels students... Go ask anybody who appeared in its test this year. Was it mostly based on fsc or A levels?
I love a levels...I hate fsc (i dont think i would do well in that system)....But is doing a levels a suitable choice IF we look at the stats??? The biased education policies against A levels students should also be considered.....
I am deeply confused....Would anybody help me out here?????

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
I wud definitely suggest,, A'level!!!
But Admin and di Global Mod can giv u betta ideas!!! :)

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
n yes, A'level syllabus is more conceptual and deeper than F.Sc's syllabus so, an A'level student shud find F.Sc's syllabus easier.
So, If Good Medical Colleges of Pakistan give more preference to F.Sc's syllabus than that won't cause a problem for A'level students!!!
The problem arises in GRADES equivalence with MARKS only!

Reaction score
I've gone through MCAT and i haven't found anything beyond the scope of what i have studied in A levels. Even if it was, it was "a piece of cake" that can be done had you been consistent in O and A levels. Aim for A*'s they'll be given a higher equivalence. And as for the tests they will in future be based on A level syllabus for A level students. Chkout their websites. + there is no certainty that having done O levels you would score very highly with the purely rata system of F.Sc which includes subjects like Islamiat, which are hard on their own again.

Reaction score
then what about the stats? I mean, seriously, ZERO out of 560.....They would have struggled hard as well??? I mean, everyone surrounding me, my seniors, parents, friends.... everyone is saying i will get STUCK if i do a levels. They say if i want to go abroad for BSC or MBBS, then i should do a levels. Otherwise not....
Oh and one more thing, if I do decide to do a levels, should i study fsc this summer?

Reaction score
yeah rite.. i hv also found out thru my seniors dat da entry tests of medical colleges r mostly inter based nd so alevels stdnts also hv 2 study INTRMEDIATE syllabus... so y we shud do double hard wrk... is it nt better to do INTER nd then get admission in medical colleges rather than doing a levels.... A SENIORS HELP GREATLY NEEDED !!!

Reaction score
punctualpunk said:
The problem is, the MCAT consists MOSTLY of FSC syllabus that A levels students have never seen in their entire lives. Its a rude shock! So does that really mean doing A levels is a big mistake if you want to get admission in any medical college.

you must be kidding me !
A level students have a further and deeper knowledge than the FSC people, and talking about FEW exceptional things an A level student does not know and the FSC students know is the names of scientists and years they worked in :p
We can easily do that once we do the MCAT book.

Reaction score
I agree that A levels students have a deeper knowledge and that they are more talented and that they have worked more hard.... One of my greatest ambition was to do A levels and get straight A's. Yet, it must not be forgotten that we are living in a country which has devised a system that heavily favors fsc over A levels.
But my dear O levels fellows.....What about the stats??? someone above stated that after going through MCAT syllabus they can get into medical college....But surely, this would have been done by the 560 or so students last year.... And some of my very talented seniors say, 'Please dont make the same mistake we did. DO FSC'. So the contradiction of views provided here and in the outside world is really confusing me. And I dont think its possible to get admission in any worthwhile college even if we get straight A's in A levels.

Reaction score
umm... I dont know but so many of my seniors went into reputable universities.. Nust, lums, GIK.. Though no one i know went into NED... !! U should remember though that if u have done alevels u can easily handle Fsc. As someone said here the one thing alevel students dont know are the years and the names of the scientists which could easily be done after u r free with your exams !!

Reaction score
ive finishd my o'lvlz n waz in da same trouble....wastd my Rs1000 balance 4 gettng da same advice.
i, too lv a'lvlz n dont want 2 get stuck in da pure ruttafication sys.....
but get practical.....if u want 2 stay in pakistan n want 2 practice medicine...n want an admission in worthy university.....do FSc!!!
becuz da prob arises wen u gv an entry test which has a 75% credit....n dat entry test is Purly Fsc based.....but we da o'lvl studebts get an advantage in eng n math(4 aga khan) which is conceptual n o'lvl students can clear it.....da science sub are purely fsc basd!!!!
howevr if u hav any planz for going abroad....cloze ur eyes n do a'lvls....nothng iz better than da pure Education+Conceptual sys....cuz do u kno dat AS lvl iz da !st yr of medicine!!!!
good luck n regardz :)

Reaction score
well... i have to disagree with my fellaw A level students.
ur discussing about MCAT, i dunno about it.
but if ur considering to go for engineering, and if u dont have any plans of going abroad, then i say go with FSc.
im currently preparing for NUST entry test. had the test for GIKI today which was a nightmare :|
A level maths n physics doesn't include some very important topics which i think SHUD B THERE at this level (e.g fluid dynamics, optics, theory of relativity, matrices, conics, etc)
agreed A levels is better when it comes to quality, but quantity wise, im disappointed.
anyways, u really cant get proper grip on these full topics (unless ur a genius student) in 1 month.
that's what im going thru atm, so i shared it with u.
best of luck with ur decision!

Reaction score
Hey, everyone. I find myself in the dilemma as most sciences students in Pakistan. I plan to attain my under-graduate degree (M.B.B.S) from Pakistan, preferably from King Edward, and then, post-graduate from abroad. So, what should I do, given that I want to apply at a highly reputed, low-priced government university. Help!

TSZ

Reaction score
I wud rather recommend F.SC if u wanna study in a reputable uni in Pakistan bcoz its really hard 2 pass da' entrance exam as an A-lvl student. the stuff is way out of course

Reaction score
Dear All,
I was recently going through the same phase after my O levels, and was greatly confused on the matter. My parents and teachers adviced Fsc because I want to be a dentist and in order to get admission in Government medical or dental colleges (which are the only ones with standard) you need to have atleast 850 and above marks in Fsc. Even if you get As in A levels your chances of admission are honestly bleak due to the unfair system of equalance. Though it was an almost unbearable decision for me but for my own sake i decided to go for fsc, i am a very exceptional case though because along with fsc iam giving my a levels privately. The subjects i have chosen are English, Sociology and Biology. You may think iam weird but i cant completely give up A levels, i just love the pretty cambridge certificate:)
And besides its wrong to say that candidates for fsc have no concepts, because my sister did her o levels and she had a hard time adjusting in fsc for it is really difficult. So it is a little obnoxious to say that they have no concept for all my matric pass classmates are pretty intelligent :). Take my advice fsc is better for potential doctors

Reaction score
Crackhead said:
Take my advice fsc is better for potential doctors
Maybe you're right. I am going for A Levels because my 'ratta skills' are absolutely pathetic. :oops:

Reaction score
fsc
i did alevels some people told me easier for alevel students to get into giki i failed went to nust than ,but tried giki again failed ....giki was my dream failed due to alevels .....fsc is ratta but u have to deal with ratta if u want ti get into top unis like aku,lums,giki.........nust is second to only giki i agree but i love nust more now for having above 2000 seats :D