• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

FOR THOSE WHO GOT A* AT A-LEVEL...AND THE OTHERS TOO!

Reaction score
AOA everyone...im a new member here and there was something i needed to ask you guys..especially those who are done with A-Levels and those who are still struggling with it. So i got a b in AS Chemistry and im currently doing my A2...what im worried about is that would i be able to get an A* for Chemistry if i work really really hard? I think a lot of people would say no but what if i REALLY ace the A2...do I stand a chance at securing an A* grade for the subject even though i have a b at AS-Level?

Reaction score
Will make this quite simple to follow. I'm not sure whats the maximum marks for chemisty including all papers. Lets for example assume Max marks are 260. This is with paper 1 =40 marks, paper 2 = 60 marks etc etc.

A* = 197/260 ( minimum grade )

You just need a total value of marks including all your papers to reach a point. That being said quite possible to get A* if your a level papers are very good.

Reaction score
My brother got An A* for his Alevels, and he always got B's in his School.
Our teacher is SUPER STRICT, so it depends on how your teacher is.
Not being mean or anything. But It will be hard, For same reason I'm taking my Alevels at Oct/Nov. *facepalm*

Reaction score
Hi Aqeel...but what I wanted to know was that did he get a B in his AS cambridge exam??

Reaction score
From my experience I can suggest that A2 chemistry tends to be quite hard often, cie sometimes get crazy when they make an exam. So, since you already have taken AS and have experience of it I suggest you use the linear route and give the full a level. There are more chances of staying at a B let apart A*.

Reaction score
People from my batch who got A's in AS chem stayed on an A in A2 and only a few that I knw who worked like crazy made it to an A* from an AS level A

Reaction score
Don't be discouraged by the above post, although it is sort of true. :| Chemistry is pretty tough to score an A* in, so I think you will have to have some insane paper or something to get an A* with an AS level B. But an A should be pretty satisfying too, no?

Reaction score
Yes A is alright but it couldnt be better than an A*...but really how hard is the actual paper? I was thinking that AS chemistry was harder..I mean you dont have the practical and the MCQ in A2 and the theory paper tends to ask comparatively straight forward questions. So why is the paper that hard?

Reaction score
And does anyone here knew anyone who got an A* at A-Level from AS-Level B??
I know someone who got an A in Physics at A'level with a former B in AS Level. There were no A*s at that time and he did it without a repeat of the full A'level.

Reaction score
From my experience I can suggest that A2 chemistry tends to be quite hard often, cie sometimes get crazy when they make an exam. So, since you already have taken AS and have experience of it I suggest you use the linear route and give the full a level. There are more chances of staying at a B let apart A*.

Why do you think A2 Chemistry is hard..I thought the only problem with it was that you have to revise the AS syllabus along with the A2...other than that what is the "crazy" part in the paper?

Reaction score
I scored an A* in O levels ... Can I work the same way to get the same result in my a/as level chemistry???????????

Reaction score
Pick any subject and you'll find it's A2 more difficult than it's AS. Chemistry is no exception. There is more to learn and more to apply, making it tougher. You've got to make sure that you work hard enough to score atleast an A. If you really desire an A* then give the whole A'levels. I'm sure you'll already be aware of the stuff in AS so that'll be a piece of cake for you. So now you can score better.

Reaction score
Pick any subject and you'll find it's A2 more difficult than it's AS. Chemistry is no exception. There is more to learn and more to apply, making it tougher. You've got to make sure that you work hard enough to score atleast an A. If you really desire an A* then give the whole A'levels. I'm sure you'll already be aware of the stuff in AS so that'll be a piece of cake for you. So now you can score better.
Actually when I started with my A2 I developed a point of view which I still maintain that the syllabus for A2 is difficult compared to the AS but the paper is comparatively easier...as I wrote somewhere above that how can it be that hard..we dont have the MCQ or the actual practical.What do you say?

Reaction score
Actually when I started with my A2 I developed a point of view which I still maintain that the syllabus for A2 is difficult compared to the AS but the paper is comparatively easier...as I wrote somewhere above that how can it be that hard..we dont have the MCQ or the actual practical.What do you say?

So you think that theoretical papers are easier than MCQs? Think again. You'll have an idea once you attempt a P4 which you should have already done if you are aspiring for an A*.