• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

for repeating a subject

Reaction score
Guys I am like one of the most indecisive person born on planet earth!
I first decided to repeat maths A(81) chem (74) phy ( 71)
but then my father goes blah blah blah u hav like only given 1 subject and all
sooo i am going to ask for your advice should i repeat maths because I would really want high marks on the final A levels
I am working hard for A2 soo yes please do help me out here
I do not like my father complaining( he just dosnt care what happened to me during the year of study + what happened during the exam which could caused serious effect on my performance during the time of exam)
sooo please please please help me out here
P.S i hate British council they charge a lot of money on BMAT exam damn!!!!

Reaction score
Your A is pretty much at the border sadman, & I can guess you're aiming for an A*, so in that case I think you should go for a retake, but carry-forward your current marks as well. Because I have friends who lost their As level 'a' because they were at the border to a 'B' in A levels. Rest, wait for a few more opinions too :)

Reaction score
Go for a retake because, from the look of it, you want high marks. If you properly manage your time, there won't be any effect on your A2. Besides, you already know the ABCs of AS so it will take you less time to revise.

PS. By the time a man realizes that maybe his father was right, he usually has a son who thinks he's wrong -Charles Wadworth :)

Reaction score
i dont have a problem repeating a subject
especially maths!!!
but i told u my father now thinks it was really worthless to giv that subject if now i hav to repeat it
he just hav to complian........i mean for heavens sake i am giving an exam for good not buying a PS3 or nokia E7
sumtimes he really pissses me off

Reaction score
Hey hey dude, please don't say that! He's lived through your phase of life & knows whether you're right or wrong :) Try talking to him. Calmly. It's just a matter of perspective,

Reaction score
I think you shouldn't give Maths again and work hard in A2 and hopefully you'll end up with an A, which is good enough. This will also calm down your father as he'll not have to pay again for you Maths paper.

Reaction score
dear hamida ali,
I am just targeting for an A* in maths may be 91 or 92.....do you think it might be possible????
i would really like to move on with some decision right now please

Reaction score
Repeat. & tell your dad that he's paying the same, if you repeat or not,, it doesn't matter.

Reaction score
It will be your choice in the end. I would've been happy if I was in your place. The A2 components count for 50 percent of the papers and if you do well in them there is a chance that you may well end up with an A*. But you may go for a retake if you are content with it and you have no problem in paying for it. You can give both the AS level and A2 in the same session then.

Reaction score
To get an A*, you need an overall A and an above 90% in A2 ONLY so don't repeat maths. Just work harder in A2 maths. You don't get an A* for 90% overall. Only the A2 units count towards the award of an A*. Even if you get 100% in your AS units and you get 89% in your A2 ones, it isn't enough for an A*. Similarly, you don't need to get an A at AS to get an A* at A2 if you get 90% in the A2 units, and assuming your A2 marks are high enough to pull your AS marks to an A grade overall.

Reaction score
Dear Extremeranger,
I really hope that what you said is true! but my question is AS count towards half of the A level grades. So if you get a 100 PUM and then an 89% in your A2 papers..how on earth will you not get an A*????
waiting for your reply
Sadman

Reaction score
Because as I said above, your overall A-levels grade maybe even 95% but unless you get 90% in your A2 course, you will not get an A*

Requirements for A*
1. +90% in your A2 COURSE ONLY!
2. Your overall mark has to be +80%

Reaction score
Ah etremeranger thank you very much for your help....atleast my dad can smile now...he dosnt have to feel my a grade in maths was total waste!!!
money wasnt the factor .......grades were

Reaction score
calculating the marks using the GT surprised me more!!!!!!
it actually fits what u hav just said!!!!

Reaction score
I have another question though!! how did you find that out???

Reaction score
There's many forums online where people claim that they have contacted the British Council regarding the A* grade and this is what they have said. But you should still contact them and confirm it for yourself if the information is correct.

Reaction score
Dear extreneranger,
thanks for ur info! i got it from the net. it seems to me that CIE dies use ths policy but i cannot for sure tell whether this is used from june 2010, using the june 2011 gts and the last years november and june gts...ur stated conditions are matched! but CIE does not inform on how to award the garde A* for some odd reason

Reaction score
Dear extremeranger, I am afraid that the above policy may not be used by CIE to award a candidate an A* grade! While i was calculating the A* grade for mathematics subjects the the minimum mark to get an A* with the marks carried forward from last June is exceedingly high!
even u get really high marks in you A2 components......it all depends only if the components that I am going to take has really low grade thresholds in order to get an A* at mathematics...If I do not decide to repeat maths exam, then I would really need to target to achieve full marks
in my A2 components. I just dont know If I am capable of achieving such high marks in mathematics. People I could really use your suggestions now, since tomorrow is my last date to register for CIE exams for the october/november session.