• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Football/Soccer anyone?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
WHAT A MATCH!
Ghana with a superb performance. I have no idea how they lost to USA!

And oh, Klose' has tied Ronaldo's world cup finals goal-tally record!

Best moment:
10463876_10152440224682631_383644144263584718_n.jpg

Reaction score
I'd rather be satisfied by some of the legends' praise about Stevie G. rather than be downbeat by criticism by some Man U/ rival fans.
Here's what they've got to say:
Zinedine Zidane:
,..."Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Lionel Messi and Ronaldo,but yes ,i think he just might be" said Zidane,who went further to say "If you don't have a player like him {Gerrard} who is the engine room,it can affect the whole team and no team will be successful without a heartbeat and you can see Gerrard is the heartbeat" ............... "He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that - players like him are just born with that presence."

Pele
"To me he is one of the Super best midfielders in the world,He is excellent player"

Carlo Ancelotti
"He is undoubtedly one of the best midfield players in the world"

SIR ALEX FERGUSON
"If you were looking for the player you would replace Keane with,it would be Gerrard,without question.He has become the most influential player in England"
“Gerrard’s physically and technically precocious, a good engine, remarkable energy, reads the game and passes quickly … I’d hate to think Liverpool had a player as good as Roy Keane.”

Its only later due to sour grapes he said he wasn't a top top player.

Craig Bellamy
“What makes him so good? Well, there is nothing he can’t do. He is clever. He sees the game quicker than anyone else. He sees the picture. He can play the ball first time round corners that aren’t even there. He has got intelligence. He has got physical attributes. He can bomb past people. He is quick. He is a proper, powerful athlete. Give him a header, he will score. He can play in behind the front man. He can get the ball off the back four and control the game from the quarterback position. He is just an immense all-round footballer. I have never seen anyone put it all together like him, never seen someone with so many qualities. I have played with a lot of talented players, but he was better than any of them.”

KAKA
"An excellent player in my opinion ,he is a modern player because he is a player who runs,marks,know how to pass,cross,score goals and he is a leader on the field.So he is player that i would like to have in my team"

DANIELE DE ROSSI
"Gerrard has been my idol for 10 years and is one of the best player in the world.He is the example of what all midfield players aspire to .He is always there in the heat of the battle leading by example.He is everywhere you look in defence,in the middle of the pitch and in attack .I would love to be close to that level"

Haters can hate.

Reaction score
Zinedine Zidane:
,..."Is he the best in the world? He might not get the attention of Lionel Messi and Ronaldo,but yes ,i think he just might be" said Zidane,who went further to say "If you don't have a player like him {Gerrard} who is the engine room,it can affect the whole team and no team will be successful without a heartbeat and you can see Gerrard is the heartbeat" ............... "He has great passing ability, can tackle and scores goals, but most importantly he gives the players around him confidence and belief. You can't learn that - players like him are just born with that presence."

No, Gerrard is not the best in the world. Not close. If any MF deserves it, it's Xavi, then Iniesta, then Busquets.

Close to every great team has had a midfield engine (really few, like Man Utd of 07/08 haven't had one) so him being one doesn't make him the best. Loads of great players have come around with this "great passing ability, can tackle and scores goal and raises morale" - there's nothing new/special about him that distinguishes him from the rest. I have always believed that in England's golden generation, only Ashley Cole could be considered world class. (This is open to interpretation on what people view as world-class, I view it as the best player in that position - the benchmark for all others). John Terry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Gary Neville - as brilliant as they were, could never be considered the best in their position.

IMO best XI of player who are still playing/retired soon is (4-2-3-1): Casillas; Zanetti, Cannavaro, Nesta, Cole; Busquets, Xavi; Messi, Zidane, CR7; Ronaldo. (Tough call between Ronaldo and Henry)

(Didn't count Maldini and Giggs here - if you count them then they would take the place of Cole and L.Ronaldo with Messi going CF and Ronaldo RW. Same way, Patrick Veiria or Roy Keane over Busquets.)

Reaction score
Damn I so wanted Bosnia to reach the last 16 at least. War ravaged country with a lot of economic and social problems but united by the game. Hard luck.

Anyone else thinks Emineke would be a perfect fit for the Premier League? He's so strong

Reaction score
No, Gerrard is not the best in the world. Not close. If any MF deserves it, it's Xavi, then Iniesta, then Busquets.

Close to every great team has had a midfield engine (really few, like Man Utd of 07/08 haven't had one) so him being one doesn't make him the best. Loads of great players have come around with this "great passing ability, can tackle and scores goal and raises morale" - there's nothing new/special about him that distinguishes him from the rest. I have always believed that in England's golden generation, only Ashley Cole could be considered world class. (This is open to interpretation on what people view as world-class, I view it as the best player in that position - the benchmark for all others). John Terry, Frank Lampard, Steven Gerrard, Paul Scholes, Wayne Rooney, Gary Neville - as brilliant as they were, could never be considered the best in their position.

IMO best XI of player who are still playing/retired soon is (4-2-3-1): Casillas; Zanetti, Cannavaro, Nesta, Cole; Busquets, Xavi; Messi, Zidane, CR7; Ronaldo. (Tough call between Ronaldo and Henry)

(Didn't count Maldini and Giggs here - if you count them then they would take the place of Cole and L.Ronaldo with Messi going CF and Ronaldo RW. Same way, Patrick Veiria or Roy Keane over Busquets.)

Well I consider Zidane superior to any of you out here in terms of football. So all your comments can go dismissed.

Reaction score
Well I consider Zidane superior to any of you out here in terms of football. So all your comments can go dismissed.

You have seen Ten Sports C2K right? There is some guy called Budgie who has played football in England for 30 years - yet his opinions will make you cringe yourself. Pele once said 2 years ago that Neymar is better than Messi, is he? Just because they have played football for a long time means that while they have a much better tactical insight and knowledge of the game than us, it still doesn't mean that whatever they say is right.

AVB (Andre Villas-Boas) became a coach when he told Bobby Robson to start some striker rather than bench him. Bobby Robson said that he will not start him - then AVB gave him an incredible amount of stats proving his point (and he was proved right). So some guy who shared his apartment with Bobby Robson actually told him that he was doing it wrong and told him what was right.

Anyway - I'll ask the above question again. Pele said Neymar > Messi. He's better than anyone of us can dream in our dreams of becoming. So that means he's right?

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
You have of becoming.
. ...
. . So that means he's right?
Just move on, man.
According to Liverpool fans, Gerrard is the best midfielder, striker, defender, referee, goalkeeper, fan, actor, swimmer, racer, scientist, professor, director, doctor, economist and what not. Ok, slipper too!
So, there is no point in wasting your time arguing over this!

Reaction score
Every club has some players whom their supporters will go tooth and nail in their defence. For Man Utd its Giggs, Scholes. For Chelsea its Terry and Lampard. For Arsenal its Wishere and Ramsey. And for Liverpool its Gerrard. Its obvious rivals wont ever see these guys in good light. Obviously each set of fans will undermine and mock the others.
I very well can speak all kinds of tosh against Terry, Scholes, Giggs etc but I will not. I have the greatest of respect for each of them. They are all great players. And when one does see greatness it should be acknowledged. If someone speaks pathetic tosh I wont retaliate in the same manner.
Ciao.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
He is a good player, there is no doubt about that. But not as good as you scousers say he is.

And oh, I forgot camera-kisser. According to them, he is the best camera-kisser, too (More of a camera-pusher these days, though).

Reaction score
Every club has some players whom their supporters will go tooth and nail in their defence. For Man Utd its Giggs, Scholes. For Chelsea its Terry and Lampard. For Arsenal its Wishere and Ramsey. And for Liverpool its Gerrard. Its obvious rivals wont ever see these guys in good light. Obviously each set of fans will undermine and mock the others.
I very well can speak all kinds of tosh against Terry, Scholes, Giggs etc but I will not. I have the greatest of respect for each of them. They are all great players. And when one does see greatness it should be acknowledged. If someone speaks pathetic tosh I wont retaliate in the same manner.
Ciao.

How can some undermine Ramsey and Scholes? Ramsey is probably the next Lampard - even more impressive after that injury. Scholes is the best center midfielder in the Premier League era (atleast the time I have seen, there could have been someone better in 1990-2000).

Also, both are model professionals off the pitch unlike Terry and Giggs. Scholes in particular; one of the most down-to-earth footballer I have seen.

There is nothing to hate/undermine about them.

Reaction score
Boring for 80 mins, brilliant in last 10.

Eden Hazard is incredible. It was incredible how he was beating 2-3 players in the end without an overlapping fullback.

Belgium through to last16, please start Defour now.

And bench Lukaku, he thinks he's a CL winning striker when he's probably a PL top half team one. Origi looks way, way better.

Reaction score
I felt Lukaku wasn't given enough supply by the midfield. But yeah he should've contributed more. Hazard had a great second half.

BTW anyone for a fantasy league?

Reaction score
He was as mobile as Mertesacker. No movement into channels, no attempt to get on the end of crosses/get players out of position, awful passing.

Based on what I have seen now, he is not Chelsea's answer - nowhere near that.

Reaction score
Wow some people with good knowledge of footballl
Now we can argue :p
Iam GGMU
Fan of Wayne rooney then reus and then the whole german team
GOO GERMANNYYYY. !!!
Bale>neymar although id say neymar will prove himself
Messi>ronaldo because he is trulyy the best i hate messi i have'nt even liked his page on fb
I have been playing manager mode in fifa and FHM 2013-2014 both
I hope everyone is going to enjoy my company
Steve G played shit in worldcup and he old but hes a legend
England back 4 is shit
I had high hopes from belgium until fellini scored (worst m.o.f.o player ever see)
I play football number 10 deep position like rooney long range and most of the time crosses from the left which are sometimes great with my left like reus :p and iam right footed :)

Reaction score
Wow some people with good knowledge of footballl
Now we can argue :p
Iam GGMU
Fan of Wayne rooney then reus and then the whole german team
GOO GERMANNYYYY. !!!
Bale>neymar although id say neymar will prove himself
Messi>ronaldo because he is trulyy the best i hate messi i have'nt even liked his page on fb
I have been playing manager mode in fifa and FHM 2013-2014 both
I hope everyone is going to enjoy my company
Steve G played shit in worldcup and he old but hes a legend
England back 4 is shit
I had high hopes from belgium until fellini scored (worst m.o.f.o player ever see)
I play football number 10 deep position like rooney long range and most of the time crosses from the left which are sometimes great with my left like reus :p and iam right footed :)

Hey there GGMU, nice to meet you.
No pt in arguing. Man Utd fans are blessed with the greatest minds in the word. Just check this: https://www.facebook.com/ManUtdFanLogic . Mindblowing logic, we should learn in our valuable time with you people.
Bale > Neymar. Haven't you considered that Neymar is 2 years younger/has a far more difficult team to adapt in?
Messi > Ronaldo. Good.
What is FHM? I play Manager Mode too. Starting 3rd season at Chelsea, team: Courtois (85), Azpi (80), Luiz (82), Marquinhos (80), Dudgeon (84), Oscar (88), Lewandowski (87), Hazard (88), Reus (86), Messi (95), Ronaldo (93). Top that.
Sure, we'll enjoy the company. The more the merrier.
Gerrard is a legend, but he's old and played shit in the WC, amen.
England Back 4 needs JT and Cole - not PL mid table players.
And Reus is right footed, i think they played you were thinking of may be Cazorla or Sneijder. And no point in bragging here, no one here apart from you has kicked a ball. All of us are armchair pundits with nothing better to do.

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Hey there GGMU, nice to meet you.
No pt in arguing. Man Utd fans are blessed with the greatest minds in the word. Just check this: https://www.facebook.com/ManUtdFanLogic . Mindblowing logic, we should learn in our valuable time with you people.
Not cool, man.
You are a Chelsea fan and consider A.Cole as a world class player, and I haven't judged you for that. So, you shouldn't judge others, too, because honestly, Chelsea didn't even have any fans before 2003. Just saying.

And welcome fellow United supporter! Good to have you here!

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
HOLY CRAP!
WHAT A FINISH TO A US-DOMINATED MATCH!
Perfect cross from Ronaldo!
Poor CR7 has to play with a bunch of idiots like Eder and co.