• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Football/Soccer anyone?

Reaction score
Steven Gerrard awful again. Culpable for both goals. I'll still give him the benefit of the doubt for the first goal (though Jones would have won that header) but that first goal, the way he was caught out by that goalkick and wrong side of Lodeiro is unforgivable.

Two games, two awful performances.
This time he certainly was. I think he forgot Luis was in the opposition.
You really think Jones would have a stood a chance against Suarez?!
Although his errors lead to goals, he was not the only one to be blamed. Jagielka, Cahill, the entire defence could have done better.

Reaction score
Luis Suarez consoles Steven Gerrard! The other way round.
“This is an unlucky moment for him....I don’t like it when he hurts like this.”
“I said: ‘Keep going, forget this game, you’re one of the best.’ He’s the best player I’ve played with.”
Capture.JPG

Incredible team mates!
(And great post by Luis (Ghost) Garcia)​

Reaction score
Luis Suarez consoles Steven Gerrard! The other way round.
“This is an unlucky moment for him....I don’t like it when he hurts like this.”
“I said: ‘Keep going, forget this game, you’re one of the best.’ He’s the best player I’ve played with.”
View attachment 45581

Incredible team mates!
(And great post by Luis (Ghost) Garcia)​

Don't remind me of Luis Garcia. >_< That ghost goal, you people didn't deserve Istanbul that way.

Reaction score
This time he certainly was. I think he forgot Luis was in the opposition.
You really think Jones would have a stood a chance against Suarez?!
Although his errors lead to goals, he was not the only one to be blamed. Jagielka, Cahill, the entire defence could have done better.

What could have Jones done? Well....not get turned by Lodeiro, not get outmuscled by Cavani. And we are not considering Suarez here, that was the job of Cahill-Jagielka (which they were awful in). Jones's responsibility would have been Cavani (who IMO was the true man of the match - incredible defensive workrate combined with linking MF and Suarez). Gerrard couldn't deal with it (too immobile, slow, poor defensively). That would have also allowed Gerrard to get forward and get free from Cavani's pressure. Then, Gerrard's normal problem was clear - leaving space in between the lines. Too high up the pitch (against Lodeiro at times) and when he missed the tackle, like in first goal, it was doomsday for England.

Henderson's running proved naught in this game when it needed a creator. Wrong call from Roy there.

Reaction score
What could have Jones done? Well....not get turned by Lodeiro, not get outmuscled by Cavani. And we are not considering Suarez here, that was the job of Cahill-Jagielka (which they were awful in). Jones's responsibility would have been Cavani (who IMO was the true man of the match - incredible defensive workrate combined with linking MF and Suarez). Gerrard couldn't deal with it (too immobile, slow, poor defensively). That would have also allowed Gerrard to get forward and get free from Cavani's pressure. Then, Gerrard's normal problem was clear - leaving space in between the lines. Too high up the pitch (against Lodeiro at times) and when he missed the tackle, like in first goal, it was doomsday for England.

Henderson's running proved naught in this game when it needed a creator. Wrong call from Roy there.
England was not as bad as you're saying. The Uruguayan players blew the England defence apart. Suarez's superhuman won the game for Uruguay.

Reaction score
England was not as bad as you're saying. The Uruguayan players blew the England defence apart. Suarez's superhuman won the game for Uruguay.

They were worse. This was one horrible Uruguay team. All they had was a workhorse Cavani and an unfit Suarez. England should have won this 3-0/4-0 given their talent.

Reaction score
They were worse. This was one horrible Uruguay team. All they had was a workhorse Cavani and an unfit Suarez. England should have won this 3-0/4-0 given their talent.
Uruguay played awesome football. British players only showcase their talent during club matches. I did not find anything unusual in England's performance.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Don't remind me of Luis Garcia. >_< That ghost goal, you people didn't deserve Istanbul that way.
Chelsea fans can like it or not, it was a goal. And we won. It will stand to haunt Mourinho and Chelsea forever. And Garcia was the hero! What an unforgettable and unbelievable night it was!
And if anyone deserved Istanbul, it was Liverpool. Period.

Reaction score

Suarez was the man of the match. There is no dispute about it.
I do agree Gerrard does not fit England's DM role. At LFC Rodgers has made team to accommodate him and he has been very successful out there.
You seriously believe Phil Jones would have stopped Cavani!!! And Suarez!
And about Henderson, stop criticizing him. If anything he was one of the few English players who actually played well. And he did not just run simply. He defended well and he even had a shot on the goal. And for him to create he needs to played more up front as he does in Liverpool.
On the whole England played well. Their finishing was bad and a few errors from the entire defence team (you cannot blame Gerrard alone) added to Roy's team positioning and tactics lead to their defeat. Plus, Luis Suarez did not play like he was unfit as you claimed. If anything he was their best man on the pitch and the entire Uruguayan team played well contrary to your very harsh criticism of them.
I agree with Jamie Carragher's view btw: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...amie-Carragher-Find-leader-Englands-pack.html
IMO you are just a bitter Chelsea fan upset that your "Frankie", "Jt", and Cole were not played/ included in the squad.

Btw, England are officially out of the group stages since Costa Rica's win, so lets not talk about them now.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Chelsea fans can like it or not, it was a goal. And we won. It will stand to haunt Mourinho and Chelsea forever. And Garcia was the hero! What an unforgettable and unbelievable night it was!
And if anyone deserved Istanbul, it was Liverpool. Period.

How was that a goal. Check the replay, it was obvious some part was behind the line. But still, you people probably, just, maybe deserved it.

Reaction score
Suarez was the man of the match. There is no dispute about it.
I do agree Gerrard does not fit England's DM role. At LFC Rodgers has made team to accommodate him and he has been very successful out there.
You seriously believe Phil Jones would have stopped Cavani!!! And Suarez!
And about Henderson, stop criticizing him. If anything he was one of the few English players who actually played well. And he did not just run simply. He defended well and he even had a shot on the goal. And for him to create he needs to played more up front as he does in Liverpool.
On the whole England played well. Their finishing was bad and a few errors from the entire defence team (you cannot blame Gerrard alone) added to Roy's team positioning and tactics lead to their defeat. Plus, Luis Suarez did not play like he was unfit as you claimed. If anything he was their best man on the pitch and the entire Uruguayan team played well contrary to your very harsh criticism of them.
I agree with Jamie Carragher's view btw: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/wo...amie-Carragher-Find-leader-Englands-pack.html
IMO you are just a bitter Chelsea fan upset that your "Frankie", "Jt", and Cole were not played/ included in the squad.

Btw, England are officially out of the group stages since Costa Rica's win, so lets not talk about them now.

Alright, let's not talk about them. :v

Still, JT and Cole were way better than any of the lot they got (includes Cahill).

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
Damn, Iran showed how good a team it is, but it got too Messi in the end!