• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

First Language English - Tips and Help

First Language English - which is hardest form to write?

• Total voters
Reaction score
Hello! Please for the second questions where they say select words and phrases based from some certain paragraph about a certain subject, how do you select these phrases effectively and explain how the writer has created effect by use of the language? Please I wouldn't mind any help especially if it's with an example to make it more understandable! Thanks!

long story short, just pick out words that STAND OUT and/or are UNUSUAL to use in the text. the words you are looking for usually has a second meaning that gives an effect to the sentence.

it's better to take out the words one at a time and explain each meaning rather than taking out a sentence and describing it in general.

you get 10 marks for q2, so take out 10 words and describe them. More than ten is even better :)

10 marks is fully for your analysis. so if you write it in bad grammar, it doesnt matter at all. (not that i'm advising you to do so :p )

relax, and good luck!

Reaction score
Hey, I just wanted to ask:
For the letter, do we have to write an address at the top or?
Thank you
no, not at all. you have to write as you normally would when you're writing to someone. no address, only dear......, at the beginning, and a love....., yours sincerely......., or faithfully......., at the end

Reaction score
Hello,

i am going to take the Reading Exam tomorrow, extended and i was wondering if you know what i need to get an A*, as i already got:
- A for Speaking and Listening
- A* for Coursework

what mark out of 50 do i need to get ? 45+ ?

Danaaaa - i'm kinda panicking as well, but don't worry!! you're not alone

this will actually depend on how hard the exam is
im gonna take an example:
last year nov 12 average grade boundary for an A for all variants was 32
so lets say for example you got 46/50 in your coursework (what i got :p)
46+32=78. you wont get an A* because the minimum total mark to get is an average of 85/100
so for this paper the minimum mark you could've gotten for A* is 39. but try to get more.
this was just an example, the higher the threshold, that harder to get an A*
btw, the speaking and listening component you're doing, is it the optional one, or are you doing the UK syllabus?
dont fret guys!! everything will be allright!!!

Reaction score
In the country? ;o In my school practically everyone does English First Lang :eek:
yeah, i know, even in my school everyone not only does it, but they have to! :p

in my old school they didnt have first lang. we had this whole petition thing going on, and then they agreed to offer it to whoever wanted it. only around 10 people took it. the rest chose second lang. as that was what was there originally. here in the arab world, or more specifically ksa, only a few people actually take first lang. thats why there are hardly any threads on it

Reaction score
so another form which has quite a number of votes is the:​
interview
- read the passage carefully and try to understand what type of person the character is. the way in which you will write will reflect this
- if in the passage, the character seems all strict and narrow-minded, then the way in which he will talk and answer the questions will be in that manner​
- concentrate ONLY on the 3 questions. you be tested on your ability to pick out details and develop them in their relevance to the question​
- make sure the development you do suits the character being interviewed; dont make a very immature man say or do something quite sensible or out of character​
- spend equal time on each question​
- place yourself in the person's shoes - imagine you are being interviewed.​
- imagine yourself talking to the interviewer and write down the words as you speak to the imaginary interviewer in your head (i know this sounds stupid, but it helps)​
- dont forget to vary your vocab, and vary sentence starters​
this question is actually simple once you get to know it well. only concentrate on the questions they ask you, that is all!​
i will post more tips for this, if anyone wants me to​