• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

First Language English - Tips and Help

First Language English - which is hardest form to write?

• Total voters
Reaction score
hey everyone!! anyone need any help or have any tips for paper 2 english?? im doing paper 21 btw....if that has anything to do with anything...:) this thread for all those people who are the only ones in their school doing first language english, or even in the country....i feel your pain! so use this thread to discuss anything about the exam this wednesday!!! :D:D:D

Reaction score
so..since nobody is writing anything, i guess i will start
tips for Q1
so in this thread, i will go over tips for the form you guys voted as the hardest. so vote and let me know which one you hate!!

Reaction score
so it has come to mind that people find newspaper reports hard. not only on this site, but my friends at school as well, so i've decided to do this:
tips for:
NEWSPAPER REPORT:
- include with the most important information first. answer the five Q's: what happened? when? where? why? and possibly how?
- slowly start including more information as you write; follow the three bullet points of the question - these are going to be your best friends in Q1 as thats basically all you have to do.
- dont be afraid to draw up imaginary details, these get you reading points and as you write and pick details from the text try and add some made up, sensational info
- include direct speech! this is probably one the most prominent features of a newspaper report. Making people say stuff they dont really say in the passage add to your reading points. however, don't make up things out of the blue. your developed details need to be strongly related to the passage
- if you dont know yet, all your details have to be based on the passage - thats the main point of the passage.
- structure out your report into paragraphs. each paragraph should be discussing one point
- remember to sound a bit exaggerating (dont overdo it!) and ask the audience questions like, 'Despite the accusations, are the Duvalls really responsible for this tragic event?'
- read newspapers for inspiration, i know this is a lot of prep for a question, but do it if you can or want.
- DONT write in columns. this is not only unnecessary but the examiners especially tell you that they don't want it
- dont worry about the title of the report, this will be provided.

PLS ASK ME FOR MORE HELP IF YOU NEED IT! :)

Reaction score
Thank You :) Can you post tips for question 2 as well? This is a pain in the neck !!!!

Reaction score
Anyone taking the exam before 3pm , English second language exam ?? If variant 21 pleaseeee responddd

Sent

Reaction score
ok i'll try my best
TIPS FOR Q2
- pick around 10 quotes in total, 5 for each part
- remember to make sure both passages are the same length​
- its not really important to explain the meaning of the word or phrase you use, but the effect it has on the reader​
- use terminology like 'simile', or 'metaphor' to say what type of phrase or word it is​
- remember to include an overall effect at the beginning and the end of the question​
- your question should be about a page long, this is the suitable guideline so that you dont go over the top​
- pick interesting words and phrases not just ordinary phrases and explain what these mean​
- it can be hard to figure out the effect, so read it over again, and think about how it makes YOU feel. repeat the sentence, but not so much that you forget what you're doing, because that happens as well​
- your interpretation can be anything! and the examiner understands that, but try to stay in context. for e.g. the dirty boots had a strong smell. strong in this might mean a bad odour as the boots are dirty, but of course even perfume has a strong smell, but you cant relate the smell to perfume as perfume is nice and the boots here are not really...​
hope i didnt confuse you there​
- mark out the sections to be used seperately​
- use a highlighter to choose the words you are gonna use​
- even annotate it to write the words that first come to your mind that describe the effect. this helps you capture that 'eureka' moment when it hits you and before you forget​
thats all i can come up for now. pls do add more if you want! and check out the webbie i added earlier. it seems pretty good, but these were just MY tips​
p.s. does someone have some magical tips for q3, cuz im good at it but not AMAZING​
thanx guys! :)

Reaction score
ok last minute formal report revision that is VERY hard
formal report
- use the bullet point questions as your subheadings
- be concise, no repetition and very impersonal​
- no I, we, or my​
- use the passive voice, not 'we did it' but 'it was done'​
- as the name suggests, formal​
- use words appropriate to the field of report you are writing 'architecture', 'health and safety'​
- use sophisticated vocab - basically big words​
- dont panic! its probably not as hard as you think it is :)
- use every single detail you find. this is probably the one which requires most textual reference​
- dont forget plenty of development!​
hope i helped! :)

Reaction score
Is it necessary to start the report by mentioning who told you to write it? as in i was asked to write a report about ldsghvi by this person for example?

Reaction score
Hello,

i am going to take the Reading Exam tomorrow, extended and i was wondering if you know what i need to get an A*, as i already got:
- A for Speaking and Listening
- A* for Coursework

what mark out of 50 do i need to get ? 45+ ?

Danaaaa - i'm kinda panicking as well, but don't worry!! you're not alone

Reaction score
Danaaaa - i dont think you should, as it YOUR report, just say the basic information like when,where.who,what,how and a bit of information about the persom, then a new paragraph which will be your first bullet point

Reaction score
Hello! Please for the second questions where they say select words and phrases based from some certain paragraph about a certain subject, how do you select these phrases effectively and explain how the writer has created effect by use of the language? Please I wouldn't mind any help especially if it's with an example to make it more understandable! Thanks!