• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ESL- Listening Tips!!!!

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,
Here are some tips for the ESL listening exam, I am giving the exam myself in the evening so here are some tips I have collected from different sources:
1. The number and foremost tips is that read the question very carefully, it is more important than answering the question itself, the tape gives u some time to read every excercise, so in that time read the question given and jot down the main requirement of every question in your head.

2. Jot down the main points that is being asked as soon as possible and make the required changes after the exercise is over.
3. Spelling is not a big issue in this exam if you dont know the spelling of a wrod you hear u can make up any other appropriate spelling of it which is not used for any other word (i read this from the examiner report)

4. Try to attempt every question who knows what u write might get accepted, trying is better than doing nothing.

5. Listen to the tape very carefully and u can even ask the examiner to increase or decrease the volume of the player.

6. Write your points when u hear the talk the first time as u can make changes or add more detail the next time you hear it being repeated.

7. Write short and as accurate answers as possible and make sure the answers are not vague. Reread your answers after writing them

8. The final tip is to stay relaxed and not to panic in the exam.

Good luck for the exams (y) and pray for me too. :)