• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Word Limit

Reaction score
In English Paper 1 Part 2, there is a word limit of between 300 to 600 words. If my essay/story exceeds 600 words, then will the examiner cross all the stuff written after 600 words, would never read nor mark it or will he read it, mark it but just cut 1 mark allocated to word limit.?

Reaction score
if the overall quality of the script is good , they examiner will not give the word count much attention. but if the script does not achieve a high level of quality in the first place , then you would be penalized for writing in excess. So try to stay in the word limit i.e 300 - 500 words for composition and 200-300 for directed writing.Now the examiners count every word so be careful you don't try to trick them.

Reaction score
if the overall quality of the script is good , they examiner will not give the word count much attention. but if the script does not achieve a high level of quality in the first place , then you would be penalized for writing in excess. So try to stay in the word limit i.e 300 - 500 words for composition and 200-300 for directed writing.Now the examiners count every word so be careful you don't try to trick them.
My teacher said that the best word count for Essays is 350-500.
While for directed writing she says 250 to 300.

Reaction score
You are right . but i think it would be better to write between 450-500 in essays.

Reaction score
thank u!

Reaction score
You are not really word bound in paper 1, you are more like time bound. in 1 hour 30 min you have to come up with two plans and write two compositions. It isnt possible to write more than the word count in such limited time however if you do, no worries.

Reaction score
You are not really word bound in paper 1, you are more like time bound. in 1 hour 30 min you have to come up with two plans and write two compositions. It isnt possible to write more than the word count in such limited time however if you do, no worries.

The examiners are not retarded people who just happen to make papers and then check them. The English Language paper is examined world wide. The rubrics are specifically designed to allow the candidate to write relevant and to the point , yet with interesting and broad imagination. You should stay in the word limit. .

Reaction score
I think there is some safety margin of like 10-15 words or so. Last year when I gave the O-level English paper, I wrote 318-320 words when the limit was 300. I just wrote 305 words at the end and I'm pretty sure they didn't check the word count themselves and deduct any marks for it. Still got an A*.

To be on the safe side though, try to stay within the word limit.

Reaction score
I think there is some safety margin of like 10-15 words or so. Last year when I gave the O-level English paper, I wrote 318-320 words when the limit was 300. I just wrote 305 words at the end and I'm pretty sure they didn't check the word count themselves and deduct any marks for it. Still got an A*.

To be on the safe side though, try to stay within the word limit.
u wrote 318 words in guided part(letters, reports) or unguided part(essay/story)?