• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Tips

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
Is anybody here planning to attempt the Argumentative or Descriptive essay? I mean is anyone planning on NOT doing narratives? If yes then tell me which one. I'll post a thread for the tips related to that type of writing (the best I can do). Cheers. :)

Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
Is anybody here planning to attempt the Argumentative or Descriptive essay? I mean is anyone planning on NOT doing narratives? If yes then tell me which one. I'll post a thread for the tips related to that type of writing (the best I can do). Cheers. :)
have no idea :cool:....common choice narratives, but might move on to descriptive but never think of ARGUMENTATIVE...
but if u really wanna help then post some tips for descriptive essays....thanks in advance (y)
what do the examiners expect from us....does using tough words help!

Reaction score
have no idea :cool:....common choice narratives, but might move on to descriptive but never think of ARGUMENTATIVE...
but if u really wanna help then post some tips for descriptive essays....thanks in advance (y)
what do the examiners expect from us....does using tough words help!
For descriptions (especially places) you need a colourful vocabulary so that you can give a good impression to the examiner and so that the examiner can imagine what you're describing. It's difficult but practice can do wonders.

Reaction score
Good to see that some people are looking for other choices than narratives.
I'll post the tips tomorrow. Until then, please practice past papers. :)

Reaction score
I take it LAL means Leave A Line?
And are you sure writing addresses is necessary for letter writing? Can't we directly start with 'Dear whoever'? That's what I usually do.
Yes, leave a line.
In writing official letters to editors, office heads, you need to add the address.
In informal ones, you don't.

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure you don't add an address at all. At least that's what I've been taught. In formal the letters are directed usually to Editors or Principals so its pretty useless to write an address with them.

Reaction score
Can we use the word respected in the start of ourw letters and speeches when we are addressing the reader of the letter? And is dear the more appropriate word to use in olevels?

Reaction score
Can we use the word respected in the start of ourw letters and speeches when we are addressing the reader of the letter? And is dear the more appropriate word to use in olevels?
You can use both, there is no hard and fast rule as to what you should use although 'Dear' is more commonly used.

Reaction score
wha
You can use both, there is no hard and fast rule as to what you should use although 'Dear' is more commonly used.
IN PAPER 2:

what was that one word describing 'people got stuck in mud often'?
the sequence of true/fals:

True, Cannot Tell and False?

thank you.