• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Paper1 threshold

Reaction score
Opinions, huh? King Nero of the roman empire thought Cinnamon was a luxury to be burned at his wifes funeral while the rest of the world thought it was an important ingredient in making food more delightful. These are the two opinions that I saw and pointed out. I believe you had to find opinions within the same passage.

As for the true and false questions. In the beginning of the passage it states that cinnamon originates from Sri Lanka, Bangladesh and some other country. Though it does so with the clever use of "former and latter" and we can conclude that it was discovered first in Sri Lanka, despite being native in all three countries. I forgot what the question for the second true false was so I can't give much info there, and for the third as well. Maybe it'll come back to me later. Though I do remember I went true, not stated, false.

As for that one word that you should've used.. well it was "sway." There was nothing about "find later in the passage" in the question, rather, "find in the passage." Simply, what word can lead to "moves from side to side." Rolling is rather one dimensional, you only roll in one direction. It could've only been sway. As that is what swaying is, moving side to side, left and right, or back and forth. Some others mentioned seesaw in this thread. I didn't see seesaw in the passage. Maybe I read it a bit too fast. Alas, it shouldn't be seesaw since it's fixed about and you only go up and down. Imagine reading, "She seesawed side to side elegantly in her dance." as opposed to, "She swayed side to side elegantly in her dance." What sounds more... correct?

As for the confusion about former and latter. Allow me to explain through an example.

Little Cathy likes two flavors of ice cream, vanilla and chocolate. The latter, as opposed to the former, is her favorite.

Latter, the last.
Former, the first.

So the sentence can be rewritten as follows:

"The last, as opposed to the first, is her favorite"
"Chocolate, as opposed to vanilla, is her favorite"

This small explanation also covers it. http://www.reference.com/motif/science/former-vs-latter

The paper was easy.

brilliant.....bcuz of the see saw and sway point...i wrote see saw but i dont think it would be right...somehow i could'nt get the right words for my argument against myself..bravo what an explanation...it was bcuz see saw is an UP AND DOWN movement..the question was SIDE TO SIDE...

Reaction score
brilliant.....bcuz of the see saw and sway point...i wrote see saw but i dont think it would be right...somehow i could'nt get the right words for my argument against myself..bravo what an explanation...it was bcuz see saw is an UP AND DOWN movement..the question was SIDE TO SIDE...
I think If you look from another perspective, it's side to side movement too. I believe sway and seesaw are both correct!

Reaction score
I think If you look from another perspective, it's side to side movement too. I believe sway and seesaw are both correct!

yes,but one is correct....and for the word sway, from all perspective it is right and non controversial.....for seesaw u have to look at another perspective...jaisay zabardasti say answers matc karnay ki kosish....dukh hota hai kehtay huay bcuz i myself wrote see saw but i believe it is wrong...

Reaction score
yes,but one is correct....and for the word sway, from all perspective it is right and non controversial.....for seesaw u have to look at another perspective...jaisay zabardasti say answers matc karnay ki kosish....dukh hota hai kehtay huay bcuz i myself wrote see saw but i believe it is wrong...
No no no no no :'( it's English language their is always room for imagination yar!

Reaction score
i
well hope too that i am wrong but in fact that's the truth:
There are some Grammar Nazis out there, who write like Shakespeare ,make it long as Eminem's rap, Vocabulary like Charles Dickens , use fancy punctuation marks and stuff like that that is why even the smartest guy like suchal riaz scored A* in his every exam but scored a B in his English so
keep Day dreaming
know i am smart but i fear for a B .it will ruin all my results :D :(

Reaction score
I don't think so,many of my mates including me nailed that paper as the topic were very easy and well known by the candiadates and only problem the students had was in the pattern of letter
I did my best in that but i do alot of spelling mistakes and crossed the word limit in both the section i am bit worried about that if the spelling mistakes are 10 i lose 5 marks :O
and according to my teacher the threshold has not changed since 2003 so A is around 88% to 92% and A * is 92% to 100%(which no one scores)
B is 80% to 87%
means no chances of getting A* at 90% ??? :eek: :eek:

Reaction score
English P2

imgres