• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Paper1 threshold

Reaction score
Did anybody else find this year's English language creative writing section a bit difficult than that of previous years? Barring the telecommunications topic, all the topics were just so dull and not too original which made good writing difficult. Would this lower the threshold? o_O

Reaction score
Did anybody else find this year's English language creative writing section a bit difficult than that of previous years? Barring the telecommunications topic, all the topics were just so dull and not too original which made good writing difficult. Would this lower the threshold? o_O
I don't think so,many of my mates including me nailed that paper as the topic were very easy and well known by the candiadates and only problem the students had was in the pattern of letter
I did my best in that but i do alot of spelling mistakes and crossed the word limit in both the section i am bit worried about that if the spelling mistakes are 10 i lose 5 marks :O
and according to my teacher the threshold has not changed since 2003 so A is around 88% to 92% and A * is 92% to 100%(which no one scores)
B is 80% to 87%

Reaction score
I don't think so,many of my mates including me nailed that paper as the topic were very easy and well known by the candiadates and only problem the students had was in the pattern of letter
I did my best in that but i do alot of spelling mistakes and crossed the word limit in both the section i am bit worried about that if the spelling mistakes are 10 i lose 5 marks :O
and according to my teacher the threshold has not changed since 2003 so A is around 88% to 92% and A * is 92% to 100%(which no one scores)
B is 80% to 87%
Your grade thresholds are just too wrong. A is around 78-82% most of the time and B is in 68-72%

Reaction score
Your grade thresholds are just too wrong. A is around 78-82% most of the time and B is in 68-72%
that is for sciences bro,for english it is always high ask your teacher she will let you know if she talks to Cambridge people through the teachers forum

Reaction score
I hope you are wrong with the bottom of my heart
well hope too that i am wrong but in fact that's the truth:
There are some Grammar Nazis out there, who write like Shakespeare ,make it long as Eminem's rap, Vocabulary like Charles Dickens , use fancy punctuation marks and stuff like that that is why even the smartest guy like suchal riaz scored A* in his every exam but scored a B in his English so
keep Day dreaming

Reaction score
There are some Grammar Nazis out there, who write like Shakespeare ,make it long as Eminem's rap, Vocabulary like Charles Dickens , use fancy punctuation marks and stuff like that that is why even the smartest guy like suchal riaz scored A* in his every exam but scored a B in his English so
keep Day dreaming
I've seen hundreds of students getting As and A*s in English o_O

Reaction score
keep Day dreaming
Am I the only who cried after reading his posts? :'(

Reaction score
keep Day dreaming
I dont think I've ever read something as stupid as this

Reaction score
B is 80% to 87%

http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-an...ndary-2/cambridge-o-level/results-statistics/
You say nobody scores A*, but if you look at the result statistics for the May/June examinations the A* percentage is almost always around 15%. It also shows that approximately 1 in 3 candidates scores A or above.

Last edited:
Reaction score
You must not forget that its O level which means Ordinary level !
I went through a Cambridge Endorsed guide book for paper one which was written by senior examiners.
They clearly pointed out that students are not expected to produce work like in story books .Though you need to have a firm grip on vocabulary and grammar .
So no worries , sit back enjoy yourself and prepare for the upcoming examinations .
May God bless all of us :)

I hope you are wrong with the bottom of my heart

Reaction score
http://www.cie.org.uk/programmes-an...ndary-2/cambridge-o-level/results-statistics/
You say nobody scores A*, but if you look at the result statistics for the May/June examinations the A* percentage is almost always around 15%. It also shows that approximately 1 in 3 candidates scores A or above.
All the people doing o levels,are doing English,the number is around 3 hundred thousand if 15% takes that is a small amount.Sadly brother, we are among the rest
I don't why you are here to fight and not getting the message o_O

Reaction score
And i did not said that nobody takes an A*(apne aap sey tashrey na kar liya karein),my sister took an A* in english,Like i said it is difficult to get one but not impossible -__-

Reaction score
All the people doing o levels,are doing English,the number is around 3 hundred thousand if 15% takes that is a small amount.Sadly brother, we are among the rest
I don't why you are here to fight and not getting the message o_O
why are you so demotivated? perform well in tomorrows paper.