• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English paper 2!!!

Reaction score
Hey, Guys can u plz share any tips regarding Comprehension, that what things to be kept in mind while attempting that...
How to answer questions??
How to make its summary??
etc..
:friends:

Reaction score
Read the cambridge revision guide+download the new mark scheme from camridge`s website of english langauage named `extra specimen paper 2011` and keep faith in ALlah and hope for the best. :)

Reaction score
read the passage 2-3 times , if there is a difficult word try to guess it's meaning r just leave it. dont panic. :)

Reaction score
These are not exactly related to comprehension but to paper 2
Firstly, remember to keep your summary short; marks are deducted for exceeding it and the examiners do not read any further then the 100 words, hence the additional points you write will not be read. Secondly, try to finish the first half of the paper [ comprehensions, note making,etc] in the first hour so that you can focus on the creative writing part later on. Try to think of a smart or catchy title for the article and do not forget your name under it. If you've got time then re-read your article/letter/essay and try to replace the easy words with better vocabulary. Examiners always appreciate good vocabulary and try to use more idioms. I know this is going to sound silly, but READ the question very clearly. Often in haste, countless students misread the question and this results in the low marks. Once you get the question paper, turn the pages and go through the questions, not in detail, but so that you have an idea of what is coming next. Once you read the essay/writing topics jot down the points in rough that you're stormed with so that you don't forget them. This will help later on when you actually get down to writing it. Lastly, do not panic, be calm and cool throughout the paper. Go with a 'bring it on' attitude in the examination hall.

As for comprehension:
What I used to do was read the questions first, then read the comprehension, in this way I always knew what answers I should be looking for. Secondly don't exceed the lines provided [it's not appreciated by examiners].
Don't spend much time on the comprehensions otherwise you'll be left with very less time for the creative writing part.

Best of luck :good:

Reaction score
anthrax said:
will be there any creative writing in paper 2
=)
There isn't any creative writing in English Language paper 2 at all if you're talking about O-levels. Just two passages. You have to write a summary and answer comprehension questions!

Reaction score
Maybe you could exhibit a bit of creative writing in your summary, but apart from that there isn't any. That was all in P1. :(

Reaction score
Ah my bad. I forgot the O level pattern was a bit different. :pardon:

Reaction score
the main thing is to keep calm and keep your mind to the paper.... dont drift off into other thoughts..... before reading the compre, take a look at the qs also.... so that, you dont waste a lot of time finding the answers...... thats what i do.....

as for the summary, try ro look for fifteen main points.... form a summary out of them.....

Reaction score
Explicit - the answer to the question is clearly expressed in the passage
Implicit - the answer to the question requires some thinking

Btw, is it necessary to cram in every single point in the summary?

Reaction score
leosco1995 it means that
In Explicit...we have to copy answer from the passage
In implicit...we have to do it in our words...

Reaction score
leosco1995 said:

No, it's not necessary to do that. You must have a minimum of 15 points, though. Write down 16 or 17 to be on the safe side as I often do. :)

Reaction score
abcde said:
leosco1995 said:

No, it's not necessary to do that. You must have a minimum of 15 points, though. Write down 16 or 17 to be on the safe side as I often do. :)
I was talking about answering questions???? Iam still confused :Search: