• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English Language and Literature

Reaction score
If anyone is doing the english language and literature course, what kind of material or skills do you require to do for Paper 1. Its a new syllabus and our teacher has difficulty in explaining it to us. I seem to not understand how to correctly tackle Paper 1. If anyone could help, I would be very grateful :)

Reaction score
If anyone is doing the english language and literature course, what kind of material or skills do you require to do for Paper 1. Its a new syllabus and our teacher has difficulty in explaining it to us. I seem to not understand how to correctly tackle Paper 1. If anyone could help, I would be very grateful :)

The easiest way to write your paper 1 is to use the ACTS framework. ACTS framework is an acronym for Audience&Purpose, Content&Theme, Tone&Mood, Style&Structure. Basically you have to identify and explain each one of these. Audience is who the text is targeted for and directed to, Purpose is why it was written. Content is a brief explanation of what the text is about and what is happening in the text, Theme are the main themes explored in the text (e.g. a text about poverty - the themes could be poverty, sadness, hopelessness, etc.). Tone is what the writer feels when he is writing the text (e.g. betrayal, etc.) , Mood is how the reader feels when they read it (e.g. the reader feels inspired, etc.) . Style is various stylistic devices that you can find (I advice you look them up in a study guide or on the internet - the more you use and the more complex they are - the better!) and Structure is the actual structure of the text - the paragraphs, the shape, the pictures (if such are present). It is important that you actually mention each one of these words (Audience, Purpose, Content, etc.) when you're writing about them so the examiner sees that you are looking at every single aspect of the text. Also, make sure to always quote the text to provide some evidence and example of what you're talking about.

The way this paper is marked is by 4 criterions, maximum numbers of marks you can get on each is 5 (hence the max mark for the whole paper is 20). Criterion A is 'Understanding of the text' - to get a high mark here make sure you let the examiner see that you know what the text is all about. Don't just use quotes, don't just narrate the text, don't summarise it. Look at the meaning - look at the deeper over all meaning. Criterion B is 'Understanding of the use and effects of stylistic features' - this is what your whole Style and Structure paragraph will be about. Criterion C is 'Organization and development' - this is why the ACTS structure is the best. It allows you to show structure and organization of your writing, whilst making sure that you mention everything and look at all aspects of the text. Using ACTS you are likely to get a full mark on this criterion!!! And finally Criterion D is 'Language' - make sure you don't repeat words too much and when you're trying to say, for example 'this text shows...', don't just use the word 'shows'. Use words like 'portrays', 'conveys', 'expresses', etc. Make sure you use a wide range of synonyms. Try to use a more complex language but don't over do it - the examiner wants to see your understanding and analysis - the examiner does not want you to randomly throw in big words that don't make sense in the context.

When you get your paper (not sure how your teacher will do it, but at least in the final exam this is how it will work) there will be guiding questions below the text. Use this as a source for ideas and additional points of what you have to mention, but my advice would still be to use ACTS. This way you won't only answer the questions that come with the text, but you will also analyse it from many different aspects.

And finally, if you feel like you have something to mention that does not really fit into the ACTS framework, don't be afraid. Make a new paragraph and mention it! :)

Hope this helped! Good luck! :)