• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

ENGLISH EXPRESSIONS !!!

Reaction score
i m in severe need of English expression which we use in our stories.. i need expression on different feeling and moods like anger, love, hate, guilt, excitement and different.... plz if anyone can help me on it... i need them urgently

Reaction score
i m in severe need of English expression which we use in our stories.. i need expression on different feeling and moods like anger, love, hate, guilt, excitement and different.... plz if anyone can help me on it... i need them urgently

What do you mean? Like metaphors or something?

Reaction score
In an english composition the expressions are not important but the story plot and how well the story flows is checked

Reaction score

where you got those expressions which you distributed in the class.......:)

Reaction score
What do you mean? Like metaphors or something?

yeh metaphors type... like better alternatives to describe feelings and etc

In an english composition the expressions are not important but the story plot and how well the story flows is checked

well u r right but i guess along with it expressions are checked too... it needs styling or else plain stories are never appreciated.. i dont demand very hi-fi vocabulary but simple one to add crisp to the plot

where you got those expressions which you distributed in the class.......:)

well most of them were my self written but some i took from other resources.... they weren't enough and it takes a lot of time to extract

more

well actually i didnt want this but thankuu for ur help.. i appreciate :)

Reaction score
k here r some expressions that might help u in ur compositions :)
Anger: bellowed, arms akinbo, boiling with rage, sleething with fury, fuming, like a mad bull
Jealousy: cattish, sneering, felt outwitted, green eyed monster, hell has no fury than a woman scorned
Disappointed: down in the dumps, crestfallen. thwarted, down hearted
Happy: over the moon, pleased as pink, tickled pink
Sadness: blinked back the tears, cried like a baby, shattered, lost in the darkness
Embarrasment: voice stuck in my throat, sometimes holes in the ground just aren't big enough to swallow your shame, felt hot and cold

Reaction score
k here r some expressions that might help u in ur compositions :)
Anger: bellowed, arms akinbo, boiling with rage, sleething with fury, fuming, like a mad bull
Jealousy: cattish, sneering, felt outwitted, green eyed monster, hell has no fury than a woman scorned
Disappointed: down in the dumps, crestfallen. thwarted, down hearted
Happy: over the moon, pleased as pink, tickled pink
Sadness: blinked back the tears, cried like a baby, shattered, lost in the darkness
Embarrasment: voice stuck in my throat, sometimes holes in the ground just aren't big enough to swallow your shame, felt hot and cold

ohh amazing well thanks a lot :) i liked them all :)

Reaction score
Well, your question isn't all that clear, but here's my attempt at answering it.

A writer must remember while writing a story be that narrative, situational, descriptive or any of the other mode of writing, that your job as a writer is to show, not tell. This means describing the events in such a way that a picture is created in the reader's mind. Hence, using general adjectives like 'lovely', 'beautiful' etc makes your account sound hollow and incomplete.
Now coming about the emotions you just mentioned, here's how I would put them in a story so that the reader effectively and successfully understands what I'm trying to convey.

Anger : As Mark learnt the truth about his mother's murder, his ears flared up and his face became flushed. The tightening of his jaw and fists, along with the darkened sky, and his deadly glare, was enough to make the convicts understand that they weren't getting out of there alive.

Love : Looking at her daughter after about 5 years of separation, Katie's eyes lit up and tears of joy ran down her cheeks. Holding her in her arms, Katie felt alive, as though a lost part of her heart was intact again. The moment was too precious for words to explain, and Katie finally passed a smile, a faint one, but a smile after all.

Hate : As Jonathan eyed his arch-rivals arrival, his eyes filled with a mixture of abhorrence and pride. He walked towards him, and shook hands, not a hand of friendship but of the initiation of a cold-war.

Guilt : Freddy's eyes were scanning the floor as if he was looking for a black hole to get sucked into. Sweat ran down his forehead and dampened his palms, as his master approached him for he was guilty as charged for robbery. As the master stood right in front of him, Freddy could not bring himself to look him straight in the eyes, so he lowered himself down to his master's feet and begged for forgiveness.

Excitement : Little Emily's eyes sparkled as she eyed the big box wrapped in pink paper, which was a gift from her mommy and daddy on her 7th birthday. She could hardly wait to get her hands onto the box, and as soon as her mommy allowed her, she tore apart the wrapping sheet to discover the doll she had wanted since the previous year. Delighted, Emily's cheeks became rosy and she hugged her parents tightly.

I just came up with these right now, I hope they'd help you create some of your own, so that your story can have a polished touch. Good luck. :)

Reaction score
q: To celebrate the start of a special environmental project, a tree is being planted in your school grounds.
As secretary of the project committee, you are to make a speech to mark the occasion in front of the
Principal, guests, staff and students of the school.
Write your speech

. You must include the following:• details of what the environmental project hopes to achieve
• why you think this project is important
• how your audience could support the project.

q: You are a student and your Principal is retiring from your school. You have been asked to make a
speech at a special assembly to thank your Principal for what he or she has done for the school andto wish your Principal a happy retirement.
Write your speech

. You must include the following:

how long the Principal has been in charge and
details of how successful the school has been
during this time

the personal qualities that have made the Principal so successful and
one interesting story which
demonstrates the Principal’s character

some ideas for what the Principal might do during retirement.

i need introductory paragraphs for this 2 speeches! urgent!

Reaction score
Well, your question isn't all that clear, but here's my attempt at answering it.

A writer must remember while writing a story be that narrative, situational, descriptive or any of the other mode of writing, that your job as a writer is to show, not tell. This means describing the events in such a way that a picture is created in the reader's mind. Hence, using general adjectives like 'lovely', 'beautiful' etc makes your account sound hollow and incomplete.
Now coming about the emotions you just mentioned, here's how I would put them in a story so that the reader effectively and successfully understands what I'm trying to convey.

Anger : As Mark learnt the truth about his mother's murder, his ears flared up and his face became flushed. The tightening of his jaw and fists, along with the darkened sky, and his deadly glare, was enough to make the convicts understand that they weren't getting out of there alive.

Love : Looking at her daughter after about 5 years of separation, Katie's eyes lit up and tears of joy ran down her cheeks. Holding her in her arms, Katie felt alive, as though a lost part of her heart was intact again. The moment was too precious for words to explain, and Katie finally passed a smile, a faint one, but a smile after all.

Hate : As Jonathan eyed his arch-rivals arrival, his eyes filled with a mixture of abhorrence and pride. He walked towards him, and shook hands, not a hand of friendship but of the initiation of a cold-war.

Guilt : Freddy's eyes were scanning the floor as if he was looking for a black hole to get sucked into. Sweat ran down his forehead and dampened his palms, as his master approached him for he was guilty as charged for robbery. As the master stood right in front of him, Freddy could not bring himself to look him straight in the eyes, so he lowered himself down to his master's feet and begged for forgiveness.

Excitement : Little Emily's eyes sparkled as she eyed the big box wrapped in pink paper, which was a gift from her mommy and daddy on her 7th birthday. She could hardly wait to get her hands onto the box, and as soon as her mommy allowed her, she tore apart the wrapping sheet to discover the doll she had wanted since the previous year. Delighted, Emily's cheeks became rosy and she hugged her parents tightly.

I just came up with these right now, I hope they'd help you create some of your own, so that your story can have a polished touch. Good luck. :)

they are awesome... thanku so much :)

Reaction score
found them :)

1.3 FRIGHTENED / EXCITED

1 Terror seized us all.
2 Panic started to engulf him.
3 She was at a loss for words.
4 He froze for a few seconds.
5 I rose shakily to my feet.
6 A rude shock awaited them.
7 A chill went down her spine.
8 The sight of the ghost sent shudders down her spine.
9 A loud voice boomed, sending shivers down her spine.
10 I was powerless and frantic with terror.
11 She screamed at the top of her voice.
12 She screamed her head off when she saw the corpse.
13 She jumped in fright when her mother suddenly shouted at her.
14 His face turned pale and his skin felt cold and clammy.
15 Overcome with fright, she lost her balance and fell down in a swoon.
16 She experienced a feeling of weakness before blacking out.
17 She stood rooted to the ground.
18 The shock robbed him of speech.
19 I was too afraid to utter a word.
20 A haze of fear surrounded him.
21 The timid girl shrank back in fear.
22 Gary stood motionless with horror.
23 She was panic-stricken when she realised she was trapped.
24 Frightened thoughts raced through his mind.
25 They fled in panic when they saw the charging dog.
26 Our hair stood on end as a cry rang shrilly in the night.
27 Fighting back tears of fear, he stared motionless at the approaching danger.
28 With his sense of direction gone, he ran as fast as his legs could carry him.
29 Paralysed with fear, he was speechless.
30 The frightened child was screaming incoherently.
31 I woke sobbing, drenched in sweat and paralysed with fear.
32 I was roused by a sound which brought my heart to my mouth.
33 They huddled together and stared apprehensively into the darkness.
34 Terror gripped his whole being and perspiration started dripping from his forehead.
35 A chill ran swiftly up his back, causing the nape of his neck to tingle.
36 I was sick to my stomach at the horrendous sight.
37 Suddenly, he heard his children’s shouts from the garden, shrill with excitement.
38 Back in the room, Tom was simply quivering all over with excitement.
39 The crowd let out a stupendous cheer as the team scored a home goal.
40 Their pulses raced as they neared their final goal.
41 Henry’s skin tingled with excitement as he watched the hair-raising race.
42 They stared at him in blank amazement.
43 She rummaged frantically in her handbag for the revolver.
44 Ali crouched at the corner, shuddering in fear that the gangster might harm him.
45 Cold fear gripped me as I began to imagine all sorts of things that could happen to me in the haunted house.
46 I was about to turn the key when I heard something. I held my breath and put my ear against the door.
47 Susan returned home and told her mother in a shaky tone that she had been robbed in the lift.
48 Tom turned as white as a sheet when he was caught red-handed stealing Ali’s wallet.
49 I was shocked when my brother got home with a bloodstained face, and bruises all over his arms and legs.
50 He was scared stiff when he saw the ghost.
51 Her hair stood on end when she watched the horror movie.
52 The screams of terror gave way to dead silence in the haunted house.
53 Nervously, I opened the door and slowly tiptoed towards him.
54 My voice quivering, I felt goose pimples all over my body.
55 Trembling with fear, I handed them the keys
56 The piece of news hit us like a bombshell.
57 We were too dumbfounded for words
58 There was a lump in my throat when I saw the shadow.
59 Cold sweat trickled down my forehead when I woke up from a nightmare.

badrobot14

XPRS Administrator
Reaction score

In any literature.. not only the conent but the way you say it also matters... at least that's what I know from xperience...