• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English as First Language 0500 P2 MayJune 2011

Reaction score
For the first point I talked about: Motivation, determination, I made up about his life being based on speed. Climbing is what he loves, he lives for the thrill, and his skill/ability as he was physically strong. >>> I forget to mention LESS WEIGHT = FASTER SPEED (how many marks would I lose)

2nd point about being foolish: Climbing is his passion, gives him self satisfaction, it is his life, and takes no notice of these sorts of comments. His self will makes him determined to do any task at hand. It is his personality which shines.

3rd point about their relationship: Strong relationship, not a partner more of a brother like figure. Friends outside climbing (I even mentioned that he was his best man at the wedding), good relationship, know each others techniques, rely on trust, hold reliance on another to strengthen bond. Know each other inside and out (sort of)

Is there anything else I could have added I AM SO STUPID and I am panicking missing out such a basic point of SPEED and equipment !!! Ahhhh *FacePalm*

CAN YOU RELATE TO ANY *OTHER* POINTS FROM THE TEXT ... There was not much to infer so I just made a few points up, which kind of related to the text. I covered most other points is there anything else which I could have written?

Help?

Reaction score
well...u cud have said in the first point that " I told O'Neill that our objective is not only to reach the top, but to be the fastest."
in the second point, u cud have added that " If theres something life has taught me, is that the only way to be satisfied n happy is to look on the brighter side." somethin like that.
for the 3rd point, u cud have told how they met. "In high school, I cud never really fit in. I didnt have many friends. Until second year, when we had a new kid in class, O'Neill. People didnt care much abt him, n I knew that lonely feeling he always had. Soon, we made friends n it was he who introduced me to rock climbing." somethin lyk that.

Reaction score
u can expect an A* in THIS paper at least, coz this time there was an interview. Threshold has always proved to favor students when an interview is to be written. :)
Good luck for the next one. :)

Reaction score
So what I wrote was alright ??

And what do you mean by threshold ?

I need to understand this please explain thanks, and the points at which he was at school you made up ... Just like I made up the point about him being best man at the wedding etc.

Reaction score
haochen said:
yeah merkyou69 is right :D
mentioning thing that r already given wont give u mark :)

That's wrong, it says in the question USE THE INFORMATION IN THE TEXT BUT BE CAREFUL TO USE YOUR OWN WORDS

I put some points but removed them as I am not sure if discussion is allowed.

Reaction score
does the questions have to be in order? or i can make up my own interview and added these questions in them?

Reaction score
You are not literally meant to copy from the text... You are meant to *infer*. Throughout the past examiner's reports they claim most of the ''weaker'' candidates merely narrated the passage in their own words thus not understanding much about it.

There was not much relevant information in the passage itself which you could talk about the foolish question and relationship, I know i missed a mark or so on content on the ''speed'' aspect of it :( as I forgot to write less weight = increase in speed. I tended to add my own assumptions and implement my own feelings after reading the text.

The question was pretty ambiguous as not a lot of information was given in the text ...

Only things which seem remotely key, is about ''shy'' - Which would reflect the tone ... and ''speed'' (however only 1 point about no equipment)

Where else was it possible to relate answers to the text?

Reaction score
there was information about the foolish question, you could of wrote people being sarcastic to him because of the nickname given to him or because he climbs giant rocks without any safety..got what i mean?

Reaction score
The question was what is your view when people say what you do is foolish... ?

So I did not know how to fit the nickname with anything :S
I talked about ''taking no notice'', (as he is painfully shy) and concentrate on his know abilities, focus on what he has to do and about the climb itself. As climbing is his life and his passion this is key to the idea that he seems focused on the task at hand...
Through these questions there were a 'few' content marks, but hardly 15 points I do not think... there were about 5 which you could expand which I think I did except 1 :(

Reaction score
merkyou69, ur rite. We could have made up points, but it shud match the text. for example, it was written that Dean was a shy guy, so u cant really write something like "He was a talkative person".

Reaction score
oh and threshold (im not sure thats how it spelt :p ) is created by the examiners. They look at the overall performance of students from all over the world on that paper. If the average performance was really good, then it would be more difficult or competitive to get an A*. If the overall performance was poor, then it would be easier for someone who did well enough to get an A*. Perhaps grades are also increased if average performance is poor. NOTE: Threshold for each variant is different! Got it?

Reaction score
Still do not understand LOL

So they base it on the percentage of people getting decent marks

So only the top 20% can get A* ???
I need to improve for the directed writing and the other thing then I guess :(

Reaction score
Vivek i have already explained to you. There was tonnes for content, he goes to the gym, intelligent as he knows obstacles, trsuts partner, I said they met when climbing. I gurantee ull get an A* :). The hardest part is directive writing in the next one.