• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English as a first language

Reaction score
Any tips on it? I have been taking eng as a second language in the past but this year im planning for first language,should i do it? And any tips?

Reaction score
Any tips on it? I have been taking eng as a second language in the past but this year im planning for first language,should i do it? And any tips?

You can definitely do it, but you certainly need a lot of practice if you're just transitioning from 2nd language English. You need to be comfortable with the types of writing they sometimes ask about e.g. reports, summaries, comparisons, etc. Plus, you also need a great range of vocabulary. You also need to be prepared for the second paper where they give you a selection of topics and you write your own story based on that. It's not that hard if you're proficient in English, I got an A* in it so I'm sure you can handle it too :) Remember, practice makes perfect and the best way I'd recommend is to see the kinds of answers written in mark schemes (for paper 1) and learn that they're looking for each time!

Reaction score
You can definitely do it, but you certainly need a lot of practice if you're just transitioning from 2nd language English. You need to be comfortable with the types of writing they sometimes ask about e.g. reports, summaries, comparisons, etc. Plus, you also need a great range of vocabulary. You also need to be prepared for the second paper where they give you a selection of topics and you write your own story based on that. It's not that hard if you're proficient in English, I got an A* in it so I'm sure you can handle it too :) Remember, practice makes perfect and the best way I'd recommend is to see the kinds of answers written in mark schemes (for paper 1) and learn that they're looking for each time!
Thankyou so much!,so we have to give oral and listening too?

Reaction score
Thankyou so much!,so we have to give oral and listening too?

No problem. The one I did was for IGCSE and it was extended; there was no oral/listening exam, it's purely paper-based and it consists of 2 papers.

Reaction score
the most important thing is to work through past papers and to make sure your writing is up to cie standard(use mark schemes and if possible get someone to mark and grade ur papers for u so u have an idea of where u stand - it makes a big difference). Also make sure u are able to write for all different choices (descriptive, argumentative etc) bcoz if u r not as proficient in a certain area and in the exam u are unable to write on any of the other topic choices - ull have a problem..:)