• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

English 9093 A-level Help!!!!!!!!

Reaction score
Mahnoor Islam
->what did you study for A2?
->how do i prepare?
-> which paper is more difficult to score in? and as Lola_sweet said, what resources did you use ?
-> did you have a tutor?
->will using resources of other exam boards be helpful such as AQA?
->will reading these books be helpful?
For Paper 4, question 1, read Exploring Spoken English by Ronald Carter.
For Paper 4, question 2, read English as a Global Language by David Crystal.
For Paper 4, question 3, read The Language Instinct by Steven Pinker.
-> if you don't mind, can you tell me what grade you got in AS and overall A level grade ?
Lastly, for paper 4, can i choose which two topics i want to prepare for? for example, acquisition and global language, or must I be prepared for all the topics?

Reaction score
-As far as resources are concerned, I didn't use a specific textbook because of how broad the areas of study were. Rather, I found it more helpful to go point by point in the syllabus and cover each topic through different articles I could find. For example, since paper 4 has a big chunk on language acquisition I had to read up on quite a few articles detailing Chomsky, Paget and Skinner's linguistic theories (there are more theorists mentioned in the syllabus but these are the three I chose to focus on), including all the technical terms they used because I wanted to incorporate them into my answers too. Other questions concentrate on social language so I went through articles about differences in male and female speech, different dialects/sociolects/idiolects and their implications, different forms of language used according to status, etc. Basically paper 4 involves a lot of background knowledge so my batchmates and I tackled that by making sure we knew the syllabus top to bottom and covering each point individually and through different sources so we had more diversity in our answers. As for paper 3, it's more or less analysis. Less background knowledge involved, more about how adept you are at picking out details. Although, yes, The Language of Conversation was one book I found useful for it because of its examples. I'm not familiar with the books you mentioned so I can't say how useful they would be, but considering how paper 3 sets no specific boundaries about what you need to know, I think you should take whatever you can get. I'm pretty sure you'll find something useful in whatever book you pick up. But like I said, what books you use or how many will not get you a good grade; it all comes down to practice. Find transcripts wherever you can (interviews in magazines are a good source) and start analyzing and comparing them.
-I personally found paper 3 more challenging for the reasons I mentioned above; it requires A LOT of in-depth analysis and there's no way to learn how to do that except practice like crazy. Make sure you do the specimen papers and past papers (if they're even available right now, they weren't in my year) and especially with the mark schemes.
-Yes, I did. I didn't do Language privately so I had a teacher for guidance and to provide resources.
-Like I said, take whatever you can get. Literally, there's nowhere you can go wrong if it's for practice. Anything will do as a potential question. The mark schemes for different boards might not help you though, so it's a good idea to solve as many CIE papers as you can find first so that you know how to analyze based on CIE's mark scheme.
-No, of course I don't mind. I had an A in AS and an A* in A2.
-Yes, you can choose. Of course it's better to prepare for all three topics in case, but you can choose which two you want to focus on more.

Reaction score
-As far as resources are concerned, I didn't use a specific textbook because of how broad the areas of study were. Rather, I found it more helpful to go point by point in the syllabus and cover each topic through different articles I could find. For example, since paper 4 has a big chunk on language acquisition I had to read up on quite a few articles detailing Chomsky, Paget and Skinner's linguistic theories (there are more theorists mentioned in the syllabus but these are the three I chose to focus on), including all the technical terms they used because I wanted to incorporate them into my answers too. Other questions concentrate on social language so I went through articles about differences in male and female speech, different dialects/sociolects/idiolects and their implications, different forms of language used according to status, etc. Basically paper 4 involves a lot of background knowledge so my batchmates and I tackled that by making sure we knew the syllabus top to bottom and covering each point individually and through different sources so we had more diversity in our answers. As for paper 3, it's more or less analysis. Less background knowledge involved, more about how adept you are at picking out details. Although, yes, The Language of Conversation was one book I found useful for it because of its examples. I'm not familiar with the books you mentioned so I can't say how useful they would be, but considering how paper 3 sets no specific boundaries about what you need to know, I think you should take whatever you can get. I'm pretty sure you'll find something useful in whatever book you pick up. But like I said, what books you use or how many will not get you a good grade; it all comes down to practice. Find transcripts wherever you can (interviews in magazines are a good source) and start analyzing and comparing them.
-I personally found paper 3 more challenging for the reasons I mentioned above; it requires A LOT of in-depth analysis and there's no way to learn how to do that except practice like crazy. Make sure you do the specimen papers and past papers (if they're even available right now, they weren't in my year) and especially with the mark schemes.
-Yes, I did. I didn't do Language privately so I had a teacher for guidance and to provide resources.
-Like I said, take whatever you can get. Literally, there's nowhere you can go wrong if it's for practice. Anything will do as a potential question. The mark schemes for different boards might not help you though, so it's a good idea to solve as many CIE papers as you can find first so that you know how to analyze based on CIE's mark scheme.
-No, of course I don't mind. I had an A in AS and an A* in A2.
-Yes, you can choose. Of course it's better to prepare for all three topics in case, but you can choose which two you want to focus on more.
Can we have your written practise essays? they would be great as samples and guidance!

Reaction score
I would've loved to help you out but I've already given all my notes to my juniors! Really sorry!
You don't have to do this but, could you please ask them if they can send you a copy of it ? perhaps scanned, i'm really in need of it, but if you can't, then it's fine :)

Reaction score
I've done A2 and I got an A. I did it privately without any tuition. For AS I used the Helen toner book but do not WHOLLY rely on that. What really helped me with AS was EXAMINER REPORTS and the two STANDARD BOOKLETS. For AS I think the more difficult paper to score on is the first since the second you can tailor to accordingly as in ,it's English essays. I also used a website called EnglishBiz (just type that on Google and find the link) . That website helped me brush up in certain vital points you'd want to keep in mind . For A2 I used the English Language book by Mike Gould. I still have it and can mail it to anyone who needs it? Just let me know where you live. Anyways for A2, paper 4- text analysis is basically like paper 1. As for the sections I solely did the social group and English as a global language as I found it more less consuming then child acquisition. I used to the book which had pretty good quick statistics which I used in my essay. The textual analysis chapter in the book goes give pretty excellent points and stuff you NEED TO KNOW like back channeling etc which I also used during my analysis of scripts in the exam. So yes, if you need any more advice, do feel free to contact me

Reaction score
I've done A2 and I got an A. I did it privately without any tuition. For AS I used the Helen toner book but do not WHOLLY rely on that. What really helped me with AS was EXAMINER REPORTS and the two STANDARD BOOKLETS. For AS I think the more difficult paper to score on is the first since the second you can tailor to accordingly as in ,it's English essays. I also used a website called EnglishBiz (just type that on Google and find the link) . That website helped me brush up in certain vital points you'd want to keep in mind . For A2 I used the English Language book by Mike Gould. I still have it and can mail it to anyone who needs it? Just let me know where you live. Anyways for A2, paper 4- text analysis is basically like paper 1. As for the sections I solely did the social group and English as a global language as I found it more less consuming then child acquisition. I used to the book which had pretty good quick statistics which I used in my essay. The textual analysis chapter in the book goes give pretty excellent points and stuff you NEED TO KNOW like back channeling etc which I also used during my analysis of scripts in the exam. So yes, if you need any more advice, do feel free to contact me

can u email me the A2 textbook u have?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for offering to help. Do you by any chance have any sample answers I can refer to for A2? I have already done my AS exams I just need to focus on A2. So you didn't even go through child acquisition? That means we can choose what we want to prepare for right? One last question: how do we relate the questions in paper 4 to the theories?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for offering to help. Do you by any chance have any sample answers I can refer to for A2? I have already done my AS exams I just need to focus on A2. So you didn't even go through child acquisition? That means we can choose what we want to prepare for right? One last question: how do we relate the questions in paper 4 to the theories?

No problem. I don't have sample answers at all unfortunately. We'll I read all three first thoroughly and saw which one I liked. As I was giving 5 alevels I needed one which I suited more even though I had done elements of child acquisition inmy other subjects, however to Learn all the phases etc was too much for me. Yes you have to do 2 out if 3 and English In social groups and globally both interlinked much more smoothly than child acquisition I believe . We'll the theories are given in the book like with case studies etc p, that's why getting your hands on the book is pretty vital

Reaction score
Hi guys
I am planning to do the English 9093 in one yr privately
I already have the e-book for as level english language and literature by helen toner and elizabeth whittome.
incase any of u guys want it
here u go: https://www.xtremepapers.com/commun...erature-toner-and-whittome.36441/#post-934245

I needed some help and advice on how to get an A on this subject. If any member here has given the paper please let me knw :/
The link is not working :/
If you have already downloaded it please can you email it to me? :)

Reaction score
hey
ilovepineapples i need ur help for my as english exam . Please send me some resources that can help me in clearing my english . I am in trouble dude..... :/