• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Edexcel IGCSE BIOLOGY

Reaction score
Terrible Graph question!
And does anyone know, what were the dependent and independent variables? I know it's an easy question, but those small things freak me out!

Reaction score
what about that anchrodoplosia or whatever?...the last question why was it small in number despite of being dominant?!
what about the reason why male gamete differ in size and number from female gamete?
I wrote that is because there are few number of people that have the dominant allele, so the allele is not passed or spread

Reaction score
what about that anchrodoplosia or whatever?...the last question why was it small in number despite of being dominant?!
what about the reason why male gamete differ in size and number from female gamete?
Its actually supposed to be dat only a minority of the population is affected by this condition and its less likely for the parents to always suffer this conditon and its a heritable unit dis condition will occur within a family from generation to generation if the allele is present.
Terrible Graph question!
And does anyone know, what were the dependent and independent variables? I know it's an easy question, but those small things freak me out!
It was actually easy. The dependent variable is the mean temp and da mid point of the year or watever dat was is the independent variable....
It was a really gud paper and pretty sraight forward and quite easy thoug it was 24 pages long......

Reaction score
The dependent variable is the rate of carbon dioxide bubbles given off and the independent variable is the temperature .
By the way, is there a chance of someone uploading the paper in a few days?

Reaction score
And the gamete thing, Vishmie?

The female gamete for all females whether they're plants or animals always stay inside the body. It is also where the zygote develops, from the female gamete.
Male gametes (pollen/ sperm) are small and are in huge numbers because they have to get to the female gamete. Pollen sometimes travels in the wind so you would need loads of it to reach an ova. Sperm has a long way to go, we often get quoted it's like someone from Southampton swimming to Edinburgh, a long way so there needs to be a lot of them as not all of them make it

Reaction score
For the achondroplasia one I wrote that they're less likely to breed, I couldn't think of any other reason. It felt kinda harsh

Reaction score
The female gamete for all females whether they're plants or animals always stay inside the body. It is also where the zygote develops, from the female gamete.
Male gametes (pollen/ sperm) are small and are in huge numbers because they have to get to the female gamete. Pollen sometimes travels in the wind so you would need loads of it to reach an ova. Sperm has a long way to go, we often get quoted it's like someone from Southampton swimming to Edinburgh, a long way so there needs to be a lot of them as not all of them make it

I am sorry but i think you misunderstood the question. They specifically mentioned it was for human gametes not the gametes for plants.
And the gamete thing, Vishmie?
I am not 100% sure about my answer but for the size i am assummin the male gamete is elongated due to the presecence of the tail and the gamete is the stationary one and also male gamete have to be present by 200000000 per cm3 out of which 60% are the ones healthy who will most likely fertilize the egg cell (female gamete) and the fact dat sperms have to be present in large qauntities is coz a few sperms out of which one is very unlikly to fertilize the egg cell so to increase the possibility of fertilization many have to be produced.
I am not pretty sure about this kai but u cn chek it again over the internet.
tc

Reaction score
yeeeeeeeees I wrote that.....I wrote exactly that..except didn't mention the plant part of it...

Reaction score
I am sorry but i think you misunderstood the question. They specifically mentioned it was for human gametes not the gametes for plants.

I am not 100% sure about my answer but for the size i am assummin the male gamete is elongated due to the presecence of the tail and the gamete is the stationary one and also male gamete have to be present by 200000000 per cm3 out of which 60% are the ones healthy who will most likely fertilize the egg cell (female gamete) and the fact dat sperms have to be present in large qauntities is coz a few sperms out of which one is very unlikly to fertilize the egg cell so to increase the possibility of fertilization many have to be produced.
I am not pretty sure about this kai but u cn chek it again over the internet.
tc

this long essay for just 2 marks!!!!!!!

Reaction score
oh really? I probably did it right in the exam, I just couldn't remember what the question in the paper said
yeah pretty much dat was the question....
this long essay for just 2 marks!!!!!!!
And two marks or not if u got the knowledge better to ryt wat u know coz its da new syllabus dey basically find for the key points...so to be on the safe side and provided the fact that they hav given enough space u myt as well ryt it.....

Reaction score
what do we think is going to be in the next one? I think smoking and/ or heart disease