• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Economics, Accounting & Business: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
w salam
Real effective exchange rates are those which take into account the rates of inflation in both the trading countries as compared to the nominal rate which only shows you the transaction price of goods and services.Real effective exchange rate (aka purchasing power parity) adjusts the price of currencies with the inflation rate in those particular countries.

Reaction score
thanks alot
one more question, what is the major difference between normative and positive statements, i mean what is the straight forward differentiating factor when you solve mcq , like this one
Which statement about trade unions is normative?
A Since trade unions exist to safeguard the interests of their members, they deserve the legal
protection of the state.
B In countries where trade unions are strong, income distribution is more equal.
C Uneven trade union membership has resulted in a widening of the wage gap between
different industries.
D In industries where trade unions are powerful, technical progress tends to be much slower.
the corrext answer is a

Nibz

XPRS Moderator
Reaction score
^ Positive statements are statements of facts. Always presented in a verifiable manner. Options B,C and D come under this definition.
The phrase 'they deserve' is clearly an indication that it's a normative statement.
As soon as words like 'deserve' or 'should' or 'ought' or the likes of these are used in a statement, know that those statements are normative; the rest, positive.

Reaction score
can any1 takin accounts help me out with da fundamentals of accounting......im a business studies student but have da basics of accounting........like da 4 principles of accountin : accruals , n blah blah blah........

Reaction score
hmm.....well there is a lot more to accounts than these concepts. i dont think u can learn those basics here. i suggest you refer to textbooks and notes.
btw are u taking up accounts as a subject or is it jus for additional knowledge ? cuz there is a section on accounting in business studies as well.

Reaction score
The Accounting or the Average Rate of Return formula in Investment Appraisal.. it appears in both the Business Studies and Accounting courses but the formulas used vary from subject to subject. I learnt that ARR was simply the average profits/average investment *100, but when I applied the formula in one Business Paper, my answer was off... and the marking scheme had calculated ARR as average profits/ INITIAL CAPITAL INVESTMENT. Can anyone, please, shed a light on this? I will appreciate any help possible.

Reaction score
The Accounting or the Average Rate of Return formula in Investment Appraisal.. it appears in both the Business Studies and Accounting courses but the formulas used vary from subject to subject. I learnt that ARR was simply the average profits/average investment *100, but when I applied the formula in one Business Paper, my answer was off... and the marking scheme had calculated ARR as average profits/ INITIAL CAPITAL INVESTMENT. Can anyone, please, shed a light on this? I will appreciate any help possible.

im guessing this is A Level portion cuz i havent done Investment Appraisal in AS .

Reaction score
can any1 takin accounts help me out with da fundamentals of accounting......im a business studies student but have da basics of accounting........like da 4 principles of accountin : accruals , n blah blah blah........

hmm.....well there is a lot more to accounts than these concepts. i dont think u can learn those basics here. i suggest you refer to textbooks and notes.
btw are u taking up accounts as a subject or is it jus for additional knowledge ? cuz there is a section on accounting in business studies as well.

section of business studies in AS LEVEL

Reaction score
Hello can someone help me with a few past paper mcq's here?? It no 16, 19, 26 and 28 of M/J 2011 P32

Reaction score
hey can anyone help me with AS Business? i need some notes and tips that might help me revise.

Reaction score
w salam
If u see the date it is 2 oct 2010. This means it has been taken into account when calculating the debts at 31 dec 2010. That is why we wont deduct it.
If the question said sumthing like " this was not taken into account/no records were made for this" then we would hav to deduct it .