• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Doubt in deciding what subjects to choose for A/Ls

Reaction score
Peace and blessings of Al-Mighty God be on all of you! I have a teeny doubt, and I want to clear it. I've decided to do 4 subjects for my A/Ls. I've chosen maths, physics, bio and ict as my subjects. My question is, is chem a must when doing science, or can I do subjects as I have stated before? Because, if I have to do chem, then I have to drop bio or physics, and I don't want to, because I love these subjects. Doing chem will not be a problem, because I like chem too, but the thing is I've made preparations to do bio and physics.
Please advise me on this. Jazakumullahu khair, and thank you in advance!

Reaction score
Assalam!
If u want to pursue studies later in the science /medical field, then chemistry is a must. Chemistry and Maths are very important. According to me, the perfect combination 4 u is Bio, Chem, Phy and Maths. These subjects will make u versatile in any field of study. Hope i helped u ^^.

Reaction score
Assalam!
If u want to pursue studies later in the science /medical field, then chemistry is a must. Chemistry and Maths are very important. According to me, the perfect combination 4 u is Bio, Chem, Phy and Maths. These subjects will make u versatile in any field of study. Hope i helped u ^^.
of course you have. but do you think I can cope up? because I heard doing both maths and science is going to be very tough. :)

Reaction score
of course you have. but do you think I can cope up? because I heard doing both maths and science is going to be very tough. :)

Well i have friends who did as Alevels Physics, Chemistry and Maths and Biology as AS.
You wish to do all four at A levels right?
Maths syllabus is very short at A level.
From my experience Bio is bulky at A level and twice is chemistry. Maths is minimal.

My advice to you:
At A levels: Physics, Chemistry and Maths ----- These are very required subjects at A level.
At AS level: Biology ----- AS biology itself is bulky but u'll get used - it can be covered in 9 months.
You can do the A2 biology later.

I'm speaking of CIE huh!

Reaction score
Well i have friends who did as Alevels Physics, Chemistry and Maths and Biology as AS.
You wish to do all four at A levels right?
Maths syllabus is very short at A level.
From my experience Bio is bulky at A level and twice is chemistry. Maths is minimal.

My advice to you:
At A levels: Physics, Chemistry and Maths ----- These are very required subjects at A level.
At AS level: Biology ----- AS biology itself is bulky but u'll get used - it can be covered in 9 months.
You can do the A2 biology later.

I'm speaking of CIE huh!
I can't think of doing first three subjects for A/Ls, and then one later. That's impossible in my case!!
But hopefully, I'll be doing AS and A Levels examinations separately, as in, I'll do it in two different sessions. I want to do four subjects, btw. One more thing, I've got a cousin who's doing all four of the subjects now. He says it is not that hard! He's very hard-working, and he doesn't complain saying it's tough. I'm not like him. He's a genius, Masha Allah! I just want to know, is it worth giving a try?

Reaction score
Assalam!
Its also a question of self-discipline.
In your case, its better to do them in two different sessions. So you can concentrate on few but pass with good grades, in sha Allah.
If you have these 4 subjects, then consider that you've hit the jackpot! :p

Reaction score
Assalam!
Its also a question of self-discipline.
In your case, its better to do them in two different sessions. So you can concentrate on few but pass with good grades, in sha Allah.
If you have these 4 subjects, then consider that you've hit the jackpot! :p
Jazakillahu khaira for your help. what subjects are you doing?
btw, at first I wasn't sure If you were a Muslim or not, so I tried not to use words like Insha Allah, but I did accidently. I guess it's good I did that, when I come to think of it. :D

Reaction score
Ameen. Yeah i'm muslim.:)
Well i finished my A levels with:
A level:: Bio, Chem and Maths
AS level: GP and French
waiting for results....

Reaction score
Ameen. Yeah i'm muslim.:)
Well i finished my A levels with:
A level:: Bio, Chem and Maths
AS level: GP and French
waiting for results....
ATB, Please remember me in your dua's. I hope I've made the right decision regarding the subjects for A/ls. :)

Reaction score
Wow this seems more like a chat than a thread lol.
Well you need to first of all think if it's really worth it? I finished my A Levels last year with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry and achieved good grades Mashallah. I gave AS and A2 together because my teachers told me to do so but I really regret doing that because there's almost no advantage of doing it in 1 session except making life harder for yourself.
Just think about what you want to do in future, if you want to get into Medical then chemistry is a must, while if your intentions are towards Engineering then any university will prefer chemistry instead of ICT, some might even need chemistry necessarily. If you want to go into an ICT field then don't study Biology.
I completely understand that you're trying to open multiple paths for yourself by giving these different subjects but life would be much easier if you plan it now. The place to keep various fields open is O Levels, I gave 9 subjects in O Levels for that but in A Levels stuff is hard and requires big effort for good grades so you need to know where you're headed.
If you still want to give 4 subjects then I would say go for Chemistry instead of ICT because ICT is just for filling a third subject place if your field is not related to it, it has no other advantage. I kind of took a half gap year after my A Levels, which is why I'm writing here even after I'm done with A Levels lol. Now I'm going to give ICT just to make this time a little useful, so ICT is one of the easier subjects and if you want a 4th subject just to get that little advantage of having 1 extra subject then go for ICT because trust me Chemistry is hard, like real hard you need to memorize a lot of things and its quite confusing too specially the A2 part.
I know its a huge wall of text but just one more thing, if you don't intend to go into medical then just drop Biology, it's very lengthy too and not a subject you choose because you just want an extra subject, its a load for even Medical students.

I hope you make the right decisions and take my advice start planning, check universities and ask them their requirements and everything so you're already prepared.
May Allah help you and us all.

Reaction score
Wow this seems more like a chat than a thread lol.
Well you need to first of all think if it's really worth it? I finished my A Levels last year with Mathematics, Physics and Chemistry and achieved good grades Mashallah. I gave AS and A2 together because my teachers told me to do so but I really regret doing that because there's almost no advantage of doing it in 1 session except making life harder for yourself.
Just think about what you want to do in future, if you want to get into Medical then chemistry is a must, while if your intentions are towards Engineering then any university will prefer chemistry instead of ICT, some might even need chemistry necessarily. If you want to go into an ICT field then don't study Biology.
I completely understand that you're trying to open multiple paths for yourself by giving these different subjects but life would be much easier if you plan it now. The place to keep various fields open is O Levels, I gave 9 subjects in O Levels for that but in A Levels stuff is hard and requires big effort for good grades so you need to know where you're headed.
If you still want to give 4 subjects then I would say go for Chemistry instead of ICT because ICT is just for filling a third subject place if your field is not related to it, it has no other advantage. I kind of took a half gap year after my A Levels, which is why I'm writing here even after I'm done with A Levels lol. Now I'm going to give ICT just to make this time a little useful, so ICT is one of the easier subjects and if you want a 4th subject just to get that little advantage of having 1 extra subject then go for ICT because trust me Chemistry is hard, like real hard you need to memorize a lot of things and its quite confusing too specially the A2 part.
I know its a huge wall of text but just one more thing, if you don't intend to go into medical then just drop Biology, it's very lengthy too and not a subject you choose because you just want an extra subject, its a load for even Medical students.

I hope you make the right decisions and take my advice start planning, check universities and ask them their requirements and everything so you're already prepared.
May Allah help you and us all.
Jazakallahu khair for you advice!
Ameen! May Allah reward you for your kind words. :)