• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Does Cambridge penalise the use of normative statements in essays?

Reaction score
It would be better if you ask a teacher about this... I never saw anything like this

Reaction score
Sometimes... even teachers do not provide reliable answers. No offence meant, they're humans, after all.

Reaction score
no unles its a part of your essay conclusion or backedup by a fact /statisticts etc because some maks are for evaluation and application

Reaction score
no unles its a part of your essay conclusion or backedup by a fact /statisticts etc because some maks are for evaluation and application

Thanks for replying.

Alright... and if I am given an essay on "happiness", "welfare" etc, where these words are themselves normative?

Reaction score
Thanks for replying.

Alright... and if I am given an essay on "happiness", "welfare" etc, where these words are themselves normative?

Provided you clarify the distinction between what is opinion and what is fact, back it up soundly and don't go overboard, Normative statements are perfectly fine. They show that you have an opinion of your own. After all, English and Economics are all about subjectivity and expression, which is why objective statements that are held by writers to be self-evident usually are punished unless they're distinguished as supported opinions. :p

Reaction score
Provided you clarify the distinction between what is opinion and what is fact, back it up soundly and don't go overboard, Normative statements are perfectly fine. They show that you have an opinion of your own. After all, English and Economics are all about subjectivity and expression, which is why objective statements that are held by writers to be self-evident usually are punished unless they're distinguished as supported opinions. :p

Thank you Einstein. Really appreciate it. :)
I will tell Adam Smith. :p