• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Do extra A grades even matter?

Reaction score
I am very enthusiastic abt giving extra subs and have given four already but i have heard from someone that they hardlly matter and dont increase ur chaces of getting an admission in a good university.... is it true? :( :sorry: :unknown:

Reaction score
Well if that is the case then why on earth would CIE introduce Extra subjects ?? They do gave you a good impression as giving extra subjects means increasing your knowledge !! Universities do appreciate a candidate who has more As in Extra subjects as this would make the candidate multi-tasking !! If they were not worth it then why is Ali Moeen Nawazish so famous !! Extra As means your extra intelligent !! :)

Reaction score
basically the foreign universities look at your 7 o-level grades and 2 a-level grades( correct me if i m wrong) so extra subjects dont really care much IMO :)

Reaction score
You should give more subjects in one session rather than giving them in different sessions. Anyone can give 4 months to one or two subjects and get an A. So instead of giving 6 subjects in one session, go for 8 or 10 or 12, and then get As in all of them which will really show how capable you are.

Reaction score
IMHO if you are taking many extra subjects with the only intention of getting extra As, then you're wasting your time, money and effort. Taking some extra subjects like Statistics and Environmental Management is good, but I just think it's unnecessary to have like more than 10-12 subjects.

Reaction score
Quoting an Hadith of Our Holy Prophet(s):" The seeking of knowledge is obligatory for every Muslim." - Al-Tirmidhi so I believe that seeking Knowledge is not a bad thing !! If Allah has bestowed us with his blessings including wealth then a person could seek knowledge !! :) however one should also opt for subjects which are important like Statistics, Commerce etc. Environmental Management, Sociology and etc are of little use unless u want go in Social service field

Reaction score
awaisbuttrocksCIE said:
basically the foreign universities look at your 7 o-level grades and 2 a-level grades( correct me if i m wrong) so extra subjects dont really care much IMO :)
Foreign universities require minimum of 3 core subjects, like phy, chem and math if you are going for engineering.

Giving extra subjects do create a good impression. Sometimes universities prefer subjects like social science along with your core subjects. So giving them do no harm. But this doesn't mean you put your core subjects in danger. Core subjects are most important of all the subjects. If giving extra subjects require you to give more time on them instead of your core subjects, don't give extra because you don't want ending up getting bad grades in core subjects.

Reaction score
destined007 said:
awaisbuttrocksCIE said:
Foreign universities require minimum of 3 core subjects, like phy, chem and math if you are going for engineering.

Giving extra subjects do create a good impression. Sometimes universities prefer subjects like social science along with your core subjects. So giving them do no harm. But this doesn't mean you put your core subjects in danger. Core subjects are most important of all the subjects. If giving extra subjects require you to give more time on them instead of your core subjects, don't give extra because you don't want ending up getting bad grades in core subjects.
Exactly !!

Reaction score
but when giving extra subject u got to see they dont become a hindrance in ur normal subs and u dont neglect them and since most of the people who give see that they are poor in the extra sub and they do more there and do nothin for the sub they take normally and they do bad in these subs then in extra sub so yeah take extra sub they do increase ur chances in getting a scholarship and in a good uni but only if u can balance ur time evenly without harming ur career subs those which are required for that field u have chosen to study in university so be careful !
Also ive heard some people say to me that im taking extra sub so that if i dont get in my normal sub ill cover it with this thats a little dangerous also as u r overloading ur self with more burden but again if u can do it there is no problem !

Reaction score
well wht i knw is that universities abroad look more twrds the A levels thn da o levels grades.........

In o levels thy do see tht whether v hve secured good grades in difficult subjects such as maths physics chem etc rather thn securing As in subjects like sociology n othrs........

whereas in A levels thy do prefers subjects more thn 4 ,but thy shud match wth da field we wnt to go ........

GuysI may be wrong n if i m thn do corct me...

Reaction score
b/w i wil be gvn 10 subjects in olevels 4 i have gven n 6 i am due to gve ......... n i m plng to gve 5 sbjcts in alevels.....

So guys wht do u thnk r tht enough or nt ????