• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

discussssss the ATP PHYSICSSSSSSS

Reaction score
sahar said:
is 100 degree da wrong answer for the frst question last part ??!

it's correct.!
the answer was from 100`C to 110 `C.! =)

above or below this was not correct.! :eek:

Reaction score
Angraiz said:
JAMES SMITH said:
2 AND 4 WERE CORRCET 100% CONFIRMED FACT

2 was using 2 students right?

I think the last 2 boxes were right, namely taking a wide range of readings, and transferring the oil quickly to the beaker.

Why was number 2 wrong? Because:
2 people should/are used for experiments when 2 quantities have to be measured, or 2 tasks have to be done in a SHORT amount of time, i.e less than a few seconds. 1 person cannot do both tasks within the time, so 2 people are used.

In this experiment, the tasks were to heat the oil, take its temperature, transfer it to the beaker, and then take the temperature of the oil every 30 seconds (I think). This is not a short amount of time, and all these tasks can be EASILY performed by 1 person, without it causing any inaccuracies in the experiment

Number 4; taking wide range of readings was right because taking many readings results in a more accurate graph being plotted, thus a clearer picture of the rate of cooling can be obtained, which is what you need.

Number 5: Transferring the oil quickly to the beaker was important because not doing this will make the experiment inaccurate. Suppose the oil is heated and the temperature is 69. If transferring takes a while, the temperature will decrease, and the actual temperature will be lesser than 69, say 68, and will result in an inaccurate graph being plotted. Transferring it quickly will ensure that the temperature of the oil measured is indeed the actual temperature of the oil when it is cooled in the beaker.

A.
u r right, i also ticked last two.

Reaction score
You've given the answer in your own post, Angraiz, but then you contradicted it ur self?
There are two quantities to be measured. You're claiming that there should be a larger number of readings to get a more accurate result, but the question already states the reading is to be taken every 30 seconds.. why would you take any more? They are more than enough :|
Secondly, it is not easy to accurately measure the temperature using 1 student. Suppose u have a clock in ur hand, it turns 30 u look at the clock, then turn to the thermometer and then read its meniscus.That's a waste of about 5 seconds which could be reduced to about 2 if 2 people are used.
The paper in M/j 2007 gives both the second and last as possible answers, but I think second was the more correct one.
As to the question on the 50 cm mark.. i also wrote it will rotate 360 degrees.. but that doesn't seem right lol.

Reaction score
xcalibur said:
You've given the answer in your own post, Angraiz, but then you contradicted it ur self?
There are two quantities to be measured. You're claiming that there should be a larger number of readings to get a more accurate result, but the question already states the reading is to be taken every 30 seconds.. why would you take any more? They are more than enough :|
Secondly, it is not easy to accurately measure the temperature using 1 student. Suppose u have a clock in ur hand, it turns 30 u look at the clock, then turn to the thermometer and then read its meniscus.That's a waste of about 5 seconds which could be reduced to about 2 if 2 people are used.
The paper in M/j 2007 gives both the second and last as possible answers, but I think second was the more correct one.
As to the question on the 50 cm mark.. i also wrote it will rotate 360 degrees.. but that doesn't seem right lol.

rotating 360` is correct .!

and we have to tick the second and the last box .! confirmed .!! =)
i first ticked second and the last but unfortunately ticked first and second at last as i was double minded.!

Reaction score
one is 2 .....becoz 1 student ll pour the oil and the other will quickly take the measurement ....and thn the one tht said pour it quickly as it heats up

Reaction score
Actually I think that the answer to the metre rule question at 50 cm is that- at 50 cm itt is at centre of Gravity (midpoint), so it won't swing or oscillate when freely suspended. (This is my answer)

Also, what is the answer to the same question, about the time taken at d= 99.5?

Please Reply!!! :)

Reaction score
increasing the number of readings and using two people was correct.Pouring the liquid faster wasn't because if anyone remembers the pic of the experiment,a funnel was used.No matter how fast you pour the liquid the liquid will pass through in the same amount of time for a certain temp.

Reaction score
Aarthy said:
Actually I think that the answer to the metre rule question at 50 cm is that- at 50 cm itt is at centre of Gravity (midpoint), so it won't swing or oscillate when freely suspended. (This is my answer)

it was at 95cm not 99.5
95=5cm

Reaction score
Sharky said:
increasing the number of readings and using two people was correct.Pouring the liquid faster wasn't because if anyone remembers the pic of the experiment,a funnel was used.No matter how fast you pour the liquid the liquid will pass through in the same amount of time for a certain temp.
ABSOLUTELY CORRECT I AGREE WITH U

Reaction score
well i ticked tht one bcoz i hav read this in my book tht the liq should b pour as quickly as possible bcoz its reaadin was changin quickly......

Reaction score
Aarthy said:

Well, it was 95 cm. And the time taken for that length would've been as less from 0.4 to 0.7 seconds. I wrote 0.6 seconds as its answer! Explanation is that at very short length for oscillation the speed of that rule will be very fast and time taken would be as less as possible.

Reaction score
Since 95cm=5cm won't the answer be the same as what they had given for 5cm wen t was hung?

Reaction score
Number 5 wasn't pouring the liquid faster through the funnel, it was transferring the oil from the heating place into funnel/beaker faster. The temperature WONT be accurate if a long time is taken in transferring it.

30 second apart readings were used for the experiement. Things which could improve the experiment, i.e CHANGES, had to be ticked. So taking readings more frequently is right, as making changes is perfectly fine. You are altering the experiment with EVERY option, so if your logic is correct, none of them are right.

It doesn't take much longer to look at a stopwatch and a thermometer for 1 person than it does for 2. A fraction of a second faster maybe. Thats not as accurate as option 4 and 5.