• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Dilutions-Biology As Level

Reaction score
i'm unable to do all those graticule measurements properly. Please guide me .. I'm having a hunch that it's gonna come tomorrow

Reaction score
i'm unable to do all those graticule measurements properly. Please guide me .. I'm having a hunch that it's gonna come tomorrow
The revision guide is the best way to go about it, but basically what you do is:

For example, they ask you to measure a cell... Instead of measuring one cell, you measure five cells. So line up the scale such that five cells fit in between two bold lines.

Let's say your reading was 5mm and the magnification was x10

So, divide the reading by the magnification, and you have the actual length. :)

So that's 5/10 = 0.5. But remember, you wanted the length of ONE cell, not 5. So, divide THAT answer by 5.

So, 0.5/5 = 0.1

Therefore, the length of one cell is 0.1mm

Hope this helped. :D

Reaction score
What if the entire procedure of eye-piece graticule and stage micrometer is given in the paper and we'd have to fill in, then ? You're concept is really helpful but i also want to have an idea of how to take readings through both the scales stated above.