• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Different significant figures everywhere [physics]

Reaction score
Ive been solving physics past papers, and the one thing that bothers me is significant figures. Answers are given to two or 3 significant figures in marking scheme. How am I supposed to know?

Reaction score
Ive been solving physics past papers, and the one thing that bothers me is significant figures. Answers are given to two or 3 significant figures in marking scheme. How am I supposed to know?

For long answer questions it does not make a difference. For for prac it needs to be to the least amount of sf of the quantities given. But never quote to 1 sf.

Reaction score

The answer is to have significance equal to the least number of significant figures used in calculation or one better.

e.g if the calculation goes like this :
(1.345 + 0.25) / 1.0
then the answer would be either 1.6 or 1.59 .
explanation : As the least significant figures used is 2 (i.e 1.0) ,so you can either quote the answer to either 2 s.f or 3 s.f .

This applies everywhere , so you can follow this blindly throughout your Alevels ( at least in Physics)

Reaction score
The answer is to have significance equal to the least number of significant figures used in calculation or one better.

e.g if the calculation goes like this :
(1.345 + 0.25) / 1.0
then the answer would be either 1.6 or 1.59 .
explanation : As the least significant figures used is 2 (i.e 1.0) ,so you can either quote the answer to either 2 s.f or 3 s.f .

This applies everywhere , so you can follow this blindly throughout your Alevels ( at least in Physics)
I follow this theory, but the marking scheme given Answers to irrelevant significant figures.