• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Confused :/

Reaction score
Ok so im abt to start my A lvls ..infact tomorrow is a one hour class for Accounting in my college
so basically ..i look forward to do MBA
BUT!
Uk unis and many others hv blacklisted certain subjects as Soft : dose can hinder our admission in top unis nd Unfortunately Both Business st. nd Acconting have been black listed too. nd they hv advised to take only one of the subs. so wat shud i take?
Business Studies or Accounting?
Kindly help me
The B-list for undergraduates

Taking more than one of the following A-levels will limit students' chances of getting in to Cambridge:

Accounting

Art and design

Business studies

Communication studies

Dance

Design and technology

Drama and theatre studies

Film studies

Health and social care

Home economics

Information and communication technology

Leisure studies

Media studies

Music technology

Performance studies

Performing arts

Photography

Physical education

Sports studies

Travel and tourism

Source: Cambridge University

Reaction score
Business Studies:Whilst not necessarily perceived as the best preparation, due to its vocational content, a number of applicants offering Business Studies alongside two other generally preferred subjects like Maths or English, do receive offers from LSE every year. However, the combination of Business Studies and Economics as two separate A levels is best avoided. :LSE
can someone explain fully!

Reaction score
Do not take Business studies.

Take Economics and Accounting, along with English/Urdu, Maths, or Sociology/World History.

Business studies is a useless subject at A-Level. Even if you want to do MBA, it is useless!
Even business schools prefer applicants with Sciences + Economics in A-Level.

And that list is for Cambridge University. Are you planning to apply there?

Reaction score
That means they (LSE) may consider applicants with business studies and 2 other "hard" subjects.
But Business and Eco out of 3 subjects would most likely not be accepted. (0ut of 4 subjects, then there is a possibility)

Accounting I think is considered a "hard" subject at most other universities.
Top business schools mostly require Maths too at A level for business admin. undergrad programs.
I would suggest Economics, Accounting, Maths. And you could add a 4th subject to your liking, perhaps English.

A friend who had 3As,1B/4As or something got into Warwick (a top UK business school) with Maths, Acc, Eco, Business.

DO NOT TAKE URDU if you intend to apply abroad.

BTW, this fall UK universities got increased number of available seats (new govt policy) and the A level grades fell, so a record number of university places were available.
Candidates who fell short of grades required on their provisional acceptance/"soft subjects" etc benefited.
Those who were selected at a uni were able to get into a better one with the same grades.
http://www.bbc.com/news/education-28772974

Last edited:
Reaction score
Do not take Business studies.

Take Economics and Accounting, along with English/Urdu, Maths, or Sociology/World History.

Business studies is a useless subject at A-Level. Even if you want to do MBA, it is useless!
Even business schools prefer applicants with Sciences + Economics in A-Level.

And that list is for Cambridge University. Are you planning to apply there?
Dont knw...but the some unis in UK decided this policy back in 2102..internet is flooded by articles related to it

Reaction score
the course of Business studies A levels changed in February 2014 and now it is revived so it won't halve your credits of Economics and neither is it a useless subject :)

Reaction score
sure? can i get the link.
I don't have a link... I had the same issues so I discussed it with my school's career counselor so he said it is a common misconception and Business and Economics are totally different subjects which teach totally different perspectives and are equally important. Plus he was the one who told me about the revised syllabus and if I can find anything to back up the theory I'll post it here ;)

Reaction score
so i gave my english and urdu paper in may/june my result came i got A in both the urdu paper andit got turned into an A* but i got A in both the english papers as well and remained an A is there any way i can find out y without getting my paper rechecked or anything!!1