• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Confused regarding AS Math Grade Boundaries.

Reaction score
Hey guys, as the title suggests, there's a little confusion i'm having which i'd appreciate if you folks could clear it up.

Basically, I'm taking P1 Math and S1, i've seen in all the Grade threshold documents that for a minimum grade in each respective paper, (p1,s1,p2,etc...) there is a threshold.A minimum number of marks required to achieve that grade.

For example : Minimum A for P1 : 60. Minimum A for S1 : 35.

Now, the confusion is that in the combined AS grade/125, i'd expect the combination of p1,s1 above to require a minimum of 95 for an A grade. ( By simply adding them up.)

However i've seen a few examples where the combination of the two would be something like 85, and obviously for an 85 you wouldn't need to get an A in BOTH P1 and S1 ( mathematically speaking).

So are we required to satisfy the A grade minimum for each component so we can get the overall AS grade? Or can i get an A for say P1, like a 65/75, and only a 20/50 ( adding up to 85) and get away wth an overall A grade? Since 85 would satisfy the overall AS A grade minimum. Or do i need to get 60 minimum for p1 and 35 minimum for s1? Which would then amount to 95 and then kinda defeats the purpose of the '85 required for overall AS A grade.'

Would really appreciate your help guys. Cheers.

Reaction score
No, i don't believe that that is how it works. The sum of your components must meet a certain grade in-order to achieve an A. You don't need to count it yourself, because they give you the boundaries for all plausible cases.

Reaction score
No, i don't believe that that is how it works. The sum of your components must meet a certain grade in-order to achieve an A. You don't need to count it yourself, because they give you the boundaries for all plausible cases.

That's the thing, the sum of the components have boundaries whereas the individual components themselves have their respective boundaries too. Obviously i don't need to calculate but i've been doing past year papers and i get confused when i try to gauge what level i'm at currently with respect to these boundaries.

Let me rephrase the question : If i fail to get All A's for individual CIE components, but surpass the overall A boundary, do i get my A?

Regards.

Reaction score
That's the thing, the sum of the components have boundaries whereas the individual components themselves have their respective boundaries too. Obviously i don't need to calculate but i've been doing past year papers and i get confused when i try to gauge what level i'm at currently with respect to these boundaries.

Let me rephrase the question : If i fail to get All A's for individual CIE components, but surpass the overall A boundary, do i get my A?

Regards.
Ofcourse, the grade listed in the summary of results will be "A." But if you look at the individual component grades, you won't have As. Those do not matter though, universities only look at the summary of results, so just the overall grades.

Reaction score
Ofcourse, the grade listed in the summary of results will be "A." But if you look at the individual component grades, you won't have As. Those do not matter though, universities only look at the summary of results, so just the overall grades.
Ah yes yes yes, thats what i needed to hear. Thanks buddy.