• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Confused between Business Studies and AICT

Reaction score
hi there..
I just started my AS levels.. and i'm confused between ICT and BST
i know its weird comparing them.. but my problem is..
i want to become a software engineer but BST has started to interest me nowadays.. and i can do any computer course after my A2 levels.. but that won't be CIE-certified..

plz help me ASAP..

Reaction score
What are your other subjects, or what other subjects are you planning to take on?

Honestly I would rather take Computing over AICT any day.. Since AICT is all general stuff and working with office (Excel, Access,Word, PowerPoint). Taking Computing at this point will benefit you.. since there is a whole programming paper in Computing, which will make your basics stronger from the beginning and you won't have spend as much time at University Level as others who are starting fresh.. You will also have learned Visual Basic or C# (Depending on what your school teaches you..) to a great extent by the time you are done.

And If you already have Computing, then there is no need to take AICT, go for BST.

What computer course were you planning on taking if you didn't take the AICT at A-Levels?

Reaction score
What are your other subjects, or what other subjects are you planning to take on?

Honestly I would rather take Computing over AICT any day.. Since AICT is all general stuff and working with office (Excel, Access,Word, PowerPoint). Taking Computing at this point will benefit you.. since there is a whole programming paper in Computing, which will make your basics stronger from the beginning and you won't have spend as much time at University Level as others who are starting fresh.. You will also have learned Visual Basic or C# (Depending on what your school teaches you..) to a great extent by the time you are done.

And If you already have Computing, then there is no need to take AICT, go for BST.

What computer course were you planning on taking if you didn't take the AICT at A-Levels?

my other subjects which are confirmed are english, maths, chem and physics

thanks for the info on computing bro.. but my school doesn't offer computing or other computer courses.. my only option is AICT..

Reaction score
Leave AICT and BS both then since all your other subjects are tough ones.. Since AICT isn't of much use to you if you are planning on taking Software Engineering as a field... btw did you have Computing at O Levels? If not then I'd suggest you do take the AICT. As far as BS is concerned.. I am not familiar with the subject. Honestly it'd be beneficial to when you get into the market in the future so I'd suggest take it if you think the load won't be too much.

The subjects you have are perfect for SE.. and honestly if you take one extra the load on you will be a little too much imo.

The best combination for you would be: Maths, Phy, Chem (Take them all) and BS (Only if it won't burden you.) ..

I myself have quite a similar combination.. Phy, Math, Chem, Computing & GP.

Reaction score
Harsh Trush Ahead:
First of all AICT and BST are both not related to software engineering at all, one would assume AICT is related to computer studies but no. If software engineering is what you aim for then Computer studies should be your top priority above all other subjects you've chosen. I don't understand the fact that you're giving English either, 99% of universities don't need Engineering courses, IELTS or TOEFL are enough. If you like to study English then that's different but you can pick much better subjects like Computer Studies which actually benefit you. Lastly AICT and BST are both for commerce students, if you're even a little into computers you would probably know 50% of AICT syllabus already, I'm saying this because I registered for AICT last month and just started studying from scratch and it's not hard even though I'm giving full A Level. Lastly if you really have to choose between AICT and BST then go for AICT, BST is considered a soft subject by many universities.

My Advice: Take Computer Studies instead, and if you really want 4 subjects then perhaps English is better than both AICT and BST.

Reaction score
Leave AICT and BS both then since all your other subjects are tough ones.. Since AICT isn't of much use to you if you are planning on taking Software Engineering as a field... btw did you have Computing at O Levels? If not then I'd suggest you do take the AICT. As far as BS is concerned.. I am not familiar with the subject. Honestly it'd be beneficial to when you get into the market in the future so I'd suggest take it if you think the load won't be too much.

The subjects you have are perfect for SE.. and honestly if you take one extra the load on you will be a little too much imo.

The best combination for you would be: Maths, Phy, Chem (Take them all) and BS (Only if it won't burden you.) ..

I myself have quite a similar combination.. Phy, Math, Chem, Computing & GP.
thanks bro.. but i've not done BS in my in IGCSE.. will that be a problem?

and i did ICT in my IGCSE..

Reaction score
Harsh Trush Ahead:
First of all AICT and BST are both not related to software engineering at all, one would assume AICT is related to computer studies but no. If software engineering is what you aim for then Computer studies should be your top priority above all other subjects you've chosen. I don't understand the fact that you're giving English either, 99% of universities don't need Engineering courses, IELTS or TOEFL are enough. If you like to study English then that's different but you can pick much better subjects like Computer Studies which actually benefit you. Lastly AICT and BST are both for commerce students, if you're even a little into computers you would probably know 50% of AICT syllabus already, I'm saying this because I registered for AICT last month and just started studying from scratch and it's not hard even though I'm giving full A Level. Lastly if you really have to choose between AICT and BST then go for AICT, BST is considered a soft subject by many universities.

My Advice: Take Computer Studies instead, and if you really want 4 subjects then perhaps English is better than both AICT and BST.

AICT is not realted to software engineering ?? thanks for clearing my misconception :).. i thought it'll help me coz i wanna do software engineering..

my school offers AICT.. not computing studies and English is a compulsory subject..

again.. thanks for your reply :)

Reaction score
AICT is not realted to software engineering ?? thanks for clearing my misconception :).. i thought it'll help me coz i wanna do software engineering..

my school offers AICT.. not computing studies and English is a compulsory subject..

again.. thanks for your reply :)

No AICT is not related to Software Engineering in any way. Since you say you did ICT in IGCSE .. I'd say taking AICT is really pointless for you.. since you already know like 60-70% of the syllabus already. And No it shouldn't affect you if you have taken BS in IGCSE or not .. You'd just have to put in some extra effort to get the hang of the o levels BS.

But honestly .. BS won't do you any benefits as well .. take English, Phy, Chem, Maths.. that should be enough for you. It's too bad that your school doesn't offer CS.. or else that would have been the most important subject for you to offer.