• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE Phys/Chem/Bio/Psychology Books?

Reaction score
I'm going to be self studying A-Levels alongside using NEC (National Extension College) online services.

I'm really curious what an average CIE A-Level student studies their material from. What books do you use for the subjects listed in the title?

I live in Riyadh and I have found these books in Jarir Bookstore,
CIE Physics by David Sang - reviews are letting me have second thoughts about buying it.
CIE Chemistry by Roger Norris
CIE Biology by Mary Jones
I did not find anything for CIE A-Level Psychology. Where may I find it?

Are there are other better options than those books to self-study from?

Reaction score
I'm going to be self studying A-Levels alongside using NEC (National Extension College) online services.

I'm really curious what an average CIE A-Level student studies their material from. What books do you use for the subjects listed in the title?

I live in Riyadh and I have found these books in Jarir Bookstore,
CIE Physics by David Sang - reviews are letting me have second thoughts about buying it.
CIE Chemistry by Roger Norris
CIE Biology by Mary Jones
I did not find anything for CIE A-Level Psychology. Where may I find it?

Are there are other better options than those books to self-study from?
if you have an option to take IAL exams (international version of edexcel GCE) then I would advise you to buy the CGP revision guide and go over past papers and learn mark schemes by heart... those are literally all the things you need... I bought the official text book of edexcel for biology and it was literally of NO use !!!
so if you change you mind and you decide to do your a levels with IAL then dont waste your money by buying the textbooks that are useless, go on and on and on abt things that you dont even have to know for the exam... Sadly for CIE there are no CGP revision guides which are really good, concise and to the point...
Let me know if you wanna do your exams with edexcel so that I can give you the unit 1,2,4&5 notes that someone called assassin did by compiling many past paper marksceme answers together... which would be very useful for revision...

for unit 3&6 edexcel offers a written alternative for the practicle... so you wouldnt have to write a coursework...

Reaction score
if you have an option to take IAL exams (international version of edexcel GCE) then I would advise you to buy the CGP revision guide and go over past papers and learn mark schemes by heart... those are literally all the things you need... I bought the official text book of edexcel for biology and it was literally of NO use !!!
so if you change you mind and you decide to do your a levels with IAL then dont waste your money by buying the textbooks that are useless, go on and on and on abt things that you dont even have to know for the exam... Sadly for CIE there are no CGP revision guides which are really good, concise and to the point...
Let me know if you wanna do your exams with edexcel so that I can give you the unit 1,2,4&5 notes that someone called assassin did by compiling many past paper marksceme answers together... which would be very useful for revision...

for unit 3&6 edexcel offers a written alternative for the practicle... so you wouldnt have to write a coursework...

I do believe I can take the A-Level exams of Edxcel. Lately, I've been reading the A-Level version of Edxcel is far better than CIE for self-study and Cambridge's one is quite hard.

So, yes, please. Though, I'm really confused how I can "decipher" the syllabus PDF of Edxcel. I can quite understand CIE's syllabus easily, but Edxcel is confusing and I have no mentor or a tutor.

Thank you. Oh, and if Skype makes things easier, may I add you?

Reaction score
i need this book..
International a and as level physics revision guide........by richard woodside
i really need help