• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

CIE grading!

Reaction score
What grades can I expect to score with the following marks in the following four subjects:

Physics
Paper 1: 36
Paper 2: 50
Paper 3: 32

Weighted total: 84.633/100

Chemistry:
Paper 1: 36
Paper 2: 57-58
Paper 3: 28

Weighted total: 88 on average/100

Biology:
Paper 1: 35
Paper 2: 54
Paper 3: 35

Weighted total: 88.65/100

Maths:
Paper 1: 63/75
Paper 4: 50/50

Weighted total: 90.4/100

Help, anyone? :/

Reaction score
i was thinkin of starting the same thread cos resltx are damn close now...4 As are sure...no doubt abt that....well wat u quote is weighted total....and i am sure that it must not equal UMS....Which according to CIE ,TELLS the student whether he is in middle or at the edge of grade..... i request from senior members to make some more clarification on UMS .....well cnsidering GTs.....A is at abt 101-106 out of 140.......this means these marks wud be set equal to 80 and then cnsidering ur marks on each ppr....ums score cn be dtermined.....and u i guess will have ums scores above 90.....

Reaction score
princess zahra or NIBZ....or hamidali....mathangel....plx do make clear what actually is UMS....ABOVE WAS JUST MY INterpretation of wat i read in a doc

Reaction score
The uniform mark grade boundaries in A-level are always at the following
percentages of the maximum uniform mark for the unit or qualification:
A 80%, B 70%, C 60%, D 50%, E 40%.

the maximum uniform marks are:
• 600 for a six unit Advanced qualification
• 400 for a four unit Advanced qualification
• 200 for a two unit Advanced qualification.
So the uniform mark grade boundaries for a four-unit qualification are:
A 320 (=80% of 400), B 280 (=70% of 400), C 240, D 200, E 160.

In A-level, grade A* is awarded to candidates achieving grade A overall and 90 per cent or more of the maximum
uniform mark on the aggregate of the A2 units. For example, in a four unit qualification, grade A* is awarded to
candidates achieving at least 320 uniform marks on the A-level overall and at least 180 uniform marks on the sum
of the two A2 units. Mathematics and Further Mathematics follow a different rule .

For a unit which accounts for 30% of the total assessment in a four-unit A-level, the maximum uniform mark is 120
(= 30% of 400). The uniform mark grade boundaries for such a unit are:
A 96 (=80% of 120), B 84 (=70% of 120), C 72, D 60, E 48.

In Applied A-level, the units are equally-weighted and all have a maximum uniform mark of 100, with grade
boundaries:
A 80, B 70, C 60, D 50, E 40.

HOPE THIS HELPS!
If you need more detail please let me know!
reagrds,
Zahra Muhammad.

Reaction score
well....suppose a person got in PHYSICS AS level : 36 in mcq.....30 in practical and 54 in theory.....where GTs are: mcq:32 theory:42 practical:30
now i cud simply get the total o0f both set of marks......bt the thing is that u HAVE to cnsider WEIGHTAGE also....which is: mcq:31 % theory:46%
practical:23% now cnsidering weightages.....calculate marks for GT.....set it to 80....this is calLed SCALING.........AND calculate student's mark....using this u cn find ums for student.......i searched after my last post abt it....and wat u described @princesszahra is the method used in OCR...EDEXCEL....etc.
well if u dint undrstood....u cn ask....bt cnsidering the fact it takes all the things into account....i guess this is the method used....that scaled up
term is written in a pdf by CIE

Reaction score
just tell me if suppose chem p4 gt is 64 for A acordng gt available here.i just cant understand how people fail to get just 64?i saw many people geting U that means they r geting below or almost 30% in p4 acordng to gt..in short just tel me is it confirm Percentile is thea?nd zahra i realy dint get anythng watever u told..v dnt even knw hw v get grades :s

Reaction score
hassam said:
well....suppose a person got in PHYSICS AS level : 36 in mcq.....30 in practical and 54 in theory.....where GTs are: mcq:32 theory:42 practical:30
now i cud simply get the total o0f both set of marks......bt the thing is that u HAVE to cnsider WEIGHTAGE also....which is: mcq:31 % theory:46%
practical:23% now cnsidering weightages.....calculate marks for GT.....set it to 80....this is calLed SCALING.........AND calculate student's mark....using this u cn find ums for student.......i searched after my last post abt it....and wat u described @princesszahra is the method used in OCR...EDEXCEL....etc.
well if u dint undrstood....u cn ask....bt cnsidering the fact it takes all the things into account....i guess this is the method used....that scaled up
term is written in a pdf by CIE
the method I told u is used in A levels CIE
well even now if u want more elaboration i could help you by asking a friend of mine who is in CIE!
plz pm me your query and ill pm u the answer that i get and how n where from i get it!
thanks!

Reaction score
A recent publication of CIE called "A guide to Grade A* and percentage uniform marks -- Additional results reporting for Cambridge learners from June 2010" says in FAQs:

"Are percentage uniform marks the same as
the Uniform Mark Scale (UMS) used by UK
exam boards?
CIE’s percentage uniform mark scale uses the same
approach as UMS. However the UMS is not always
shown as marks out of 100, whereas CIE percentage
uniform marks are always out of 100."

A document on OCR website says:

"How to Calculate a UMS (Uniform Mark Scale) conversion

This method can be generalised to apply to any set of raw marks and any uniform mark scale.

You must have the appropriate session’s grade boundary threshold information at hand.

I. Determine which grade the candidate obtained

II. Find out how many raw marks there are in that grade

III. Find out how many marks are in the equivalent uniform mark grade

IV. Calculate the conversion factor. This is the number of uniform marks in the grade divided by the number of raw marks in the same grade

V. Calculate how many raw marks the candidate had scored over the raw mark boundary

VI. Multiply this number (v) by the conversion factor (iv)

VII. Add the result to the uniform mark boundary for the grade. This will be the UMS for the candidate."

HOPE YOU GET IT KNOW!!!
there wont be any difference in the method of UMS!It is a generalized method!

Reaction score
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/A- ... at_A-level
What about CIE international A-levels?

It seemed to me that this A* thing was only for students sitting their A-level exams in the UK, not for International A-level candidates. I searched the Cambridge International Examinations website thoroughly and there is no information about this. I asked my Examinations Officer and he had no clue what I was talking about. Never mind. I wrote to CIE to ask, especially about the conditions (80%+ overall, 90%+ in A2 units) and got this reply:

"The first examination session that the A* grade at A level is available from is June 2010 (so this affects candidates starting a 2-year A level course in September 2008). The thresholds at each grade at syllabus (or option) level are calculated by adding together the thresholds for the individual components, taking account of any weighting necessary to match the weights of the papers stated in the syllabus. In some cases the threshold for a Grade A or B at syllabus level may be slightly less than the (weighted) sum of the component thresholds.

The candidate’s total mark, again incorporating any necessary weighting of components, is compared with the thresholds to determine the candidate’s overall grade.

Yours sincerely

Emily Veal Customer Services Advisor"

So apparently it is going to be introduced but since CIE does not disclose UMS or percentages and "grade A* does not exist at the level of an individual component", it seems like this is to become yet another of CIE's obscure grading regulations.

Reaction score
Does chemistry paper 3 (practicals) has a great effect on the overall grade? Uh, for exampla if a student did not do well AT ALL in P3, can he/she catch up on the other chemistry papers and get at least a B?

Reaction score
Does chemistry paper 3 (practicals) has a great effect on the overall grade? Uh, for exampla if a student did not do well AT ALL in P3, can he/she catch up on the other chemistry papers and get at least a B?
A friend got AAC in her components and still got an A overall!

Reaction score

Different subject, but still I can tell you this I guess

For my AS Level, I got A from practical (60%) and a D from theory (40%) but still got an A.

Reaction score
Different subject, but still I can tell you this I guess

For my AS Level, I got A from practical (60%) and a D from theory (40%) but still got an A.
Weirdest thing i've heard related to grading. P.S shouldn't you also tell MCQs grade ? cuz that plays a vital role in making grade.