• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemo P5 tips

Reaction score
lol most of the people i know drew a line....sigh line of best fit probably means straight line

Reaction score
i also drew acurve..as most papers had curbes for the solubility question even if the ques stated for a best fit line..
though i made a mistake...wrote exo instaed of endo :S..!!!

and for the exp is water bath okay for different temperatures???

Reaction score
yeps, I guess so. But we had to realise that a curve can also be a line of best fit. Question 2 or P52 was pretty different from the previous papers

Reaction score
well i waxnt liking the staright line lol it wax very ajeeb si :p
so instead i drew a curve..

can u tell about the experiment??

Reaction score
yea.. it had to be a curve.. or else they would've mentioned "straight line" in BOLD
*sighhhh* so that means i lost marks for the anamolous points too :(

how did u guys do the calculation bit?

Reaction score
Value for the loss in mass when reducing the temperature from 85 to 35?? I got a total loss of 14g. What did you guys get? And yes, it has to be a curve, as solubility can NEVER be negative, it cannot be a straight line because the solubility will only fall to zero at 0 K (absolute zero). So yes, it would have to be a curve with the x-axis being its asymptote. :D

Reaction score
Come on people! What rings more of a bell in mind: solubility line or solubility curve? Google both, let's see what you get :D

Reaction score
i one of da past papers da one with transition temp said drw 2 lines but actually one of them was a curve...

so a curve rings drums!!!! to my ear.

Reaction score
ER of Physics M/J 2010 P2 clearly states that: examiners were surprised to find a firmly ingrained belief in candidates that the line of best fit couldn't be a curve. I think the same thing is playing out here.

Reaction score
WellWIshER said:
i one of da past papers da one with transition temp said drw 2 lines but actually one of them was a curve...

you are absolutely right my friend. I had bungled that paper by drawing two straight lines!!!

Reaction score
zeebujha said:
WellWIshER said:

you are absolutely right my friend. I had bungled that paper by drawing two straight lines!!!

Speaking of bungling, I am another victim of the straight line syndrome right here. It was just today that I learned to let go of that stereotype.

Reaction score
i got 82% in AS Chem. if iget a D in P5 component and manage to get an A/B in P4 component can i score more than 80% in A2 ??????

Plz REPLY ASAP

Reaction score
plz give tips on how to manage time on Paper 5 . most often i cannot finish two questions. this way ill end up getting a C . plz help

Reaction score
When you have to remove moisture from :

1. Surface:
Wash the surface with a stream of propanone. The water gets dissolved in the propanone and repeat it multiple times. Then gently heat the surface to evaporate the propanone from the surface

2. Vapour:
Use dessicants such as:
1. ANHYDROUS sulphuric acid
2. ANHYDROUS calcium chloride
3. Silica gel
You have to pass the vapour from the beaker containing the dessicant

Also, a useful property of soda lime is that it absorbs BOTH water vapour and carbon dioxide

isnt moisture and vapour the same thing...so if we pass vapour through these anhydrous substances wont the vapour too
get dissolved in it...?