• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry Ya Rab .

Reaction score
ok the ph of water is 7
when water is added to the acid the ph of the solution will be from between the pH of the acid and the 7 (ph of water) it cant be more than 7

The same is for alkali

Reaction score
ok the ph of water is 7
when water is added to the acid the ph of the solution will be from between the pH of the acid and the 7 (ph of water) it cant be more than 7

The same is for alkali

Aha , So When we add water over Acid the PH increases but doesn't exceed the PH of water , So does the PH of an alkali increases also When we add water ? Since the presence Of OH ion ?

Reaction score
Look when u add water the water will increase the pH(incase of acid) or decrease the pH (incase of alkali) to the pH 7 it might be any number between the pH of the acid/alkali and 7
It depends on the amount of water you put

Reaction score
Aha , So When we add water over Acid the PH increases but doesn't exceed the PH of water , So does the PH of an alkali increases also When we add water ? Since the presence Of OH ion ?
i will try to explain it, the substance only shows its acidity or alkalinity only when it is dissolved in water, this is because pH is the measure of the concentration of H+(which only form when the acid or the alkaline dissociate in water) the higher the concentration of H+ the lower the pH, u might then ask how does it show alkalinity well when an alkaline substance is dissolved in water it forms OH- ions these react with the H+ ions reducing its concentration and so increasing the pH. i hope i didnt confuse u, i just tried to explain to u why this happens, i dont like ppl who memorize only :D

Reaction score
Not if ur in skool.. we r gonna do the same things in AS and in A level and in College so no need to really study that much for p1

Reaction score
Not if ur in skool.. we r gonna do the same things in AS and in A level and in College so no need to really study that much for p1
i didnt study for paper 1 at all, i just did papers, this i studied for paper 3 :rolleyes:

Reaction score
i will try to explain it, the substance only shows its acidity or alkalinity only when it is dissolved in water, this is because pH is the measure of the concentration of H+(which only form when the acid or the alkaline dissociate in water) the higher the concentration of H+ the lower the pH, u might then ask how does it show alkalinity well when an alkaline substance is dissolved in water it forms OH- ions these react with the H+ ions reducing its concentration and so increasing the pH. i hope i didnt confuse u, i just tried to explain to u why this happens, i dont like ppl who memorize only :D
So simply when we add water to acid the PH increases and when we add water to a base the PH increases too ?I am i right :rolleyes: ?

Reaction score
So simply when we add water to acid the PH increases and when we add water to a base the PH increases too ?I am i right :rolleyes: ?
a water is like a medium that tells us if this substance is acidic or alkaline and as you know from the pH chart acidic is from 1 to 6 and alkaline is from 8 to 14 and so when an acid dissolves in water the ph will decrease this is because the original pH of the water is actually 7, however when we add an alkaline it will increase this is because obviously 8 to 14 is bigger than 7
if u dont understand ask again :D

Reaction score
a water is like a medium that tells us if this substance is acidic or alkaline and as you know from the pH chart acidic is from 1 to 6 and alkaline is from 8 to 14 and so when an acid dissolves in water the ph will decrease this is because the original pH of the water is actually 7, however when we add an alkaline it will increase this is because obviously 8 to 14 is bigger than 7
if u dont understand ask again :D

I think that what i meant ? sa7 ? :D , The Ph of an ACID , when the water is added to it , increases since the PH of an acid is less than the PH of water due to the presence of OH , And When we add water to a BASE , the PH of the BASE increases .
I hope that is right Incha'allah :)

Reaction score
I think that what i meant ? sa7 ? :D , The Ph of an ACID , when the water is added to it , increases since the PH of an acid is less than the PH of water due to the presence of OH , And When we add water to a BASE , the PH of the BASE increases .
I hope that is right Incha'allah :)
nope it isnt, i think u got confused, an acid doesnt show its acidic properties unless dissolved in water and so before dissolving in water it is techinically not an acid (thats why litmus paper have to be damp), the original pH of the water is 7 but when this acidic substance is added it decreases and the range is 1-6 pH, now doesnt this mean that the pH of the water decreased? and vice versa for the alkaline substance. leave the pH changes of the acid, all u need to know is how the pH of the water changes (recap it decreases with an acid and increases with an alkaline) thats all u need to know. :)

Reaction score
nope it isnt, i think u got confused, an acid doesnt show its acidic properties unless dissolved in water and so before dissolving in water it is techinically not an acid (thats why litmus paper have to be damp), the original pH of the water is 7 but when this acidic substance is added it decreases and the range is 1-6 pH, now doesnt this mean that the pH of the water decreased? and vice versa for the alkaline substance. leave the pH changes of the acid, all u need to know is how the pH of the water changes (recap it decreases with an acid and increases with an alkaline) thats all u need to know. :)

I understood it now . Thank you alot I really appreciate your help :) .Sorry for the confusion .