• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry unit 2 6CH02 exam.How was it?

Reaction score
so will i get a mark ? as final product is same i guess
The question was out of 2 marks right? The marks tend to be for the curly arrows, but I guess you'll lose one for using the SN2 mechanism though
How was the rest of it?

Reaction score
what did u guys put for the MCQ that was like why is sodium chloride more soluble in water than hexane?

also..
why do you acidify to prevent hydrolysis?
and on that question what was the colour change?

Reaction score
sn2 is for 1 degree haloalkane and sn1 is for 3 degree haloalkane,,,but the question was 2-chlorobutane so CH3CHClCH2CH3 so 2 degree ,,,,now for 2 degree if it is c-cl bond then sn2 if c-i c-br then sn1 so chill out guys its sn2

Reaction score
sn2 is for 1 degree haloalkane and sn1 is for 3 degree haloalkane,,,but the question was 2-chlorobutane so CH3CHClCH2CH3 so 2 degree ,,,,now for 2 degree if it is c-cl bond then sn2 if c-i c-br then sn1 so chill out guys its sn2

haha, no.
for secondary halogenoalkanes, they will react by sn1 AND sn2. Although, sn1 is the dominant mechanism.
I think they should accept both :)

Reaction score
haha, no.
for secondary halogenoalkanes, they will react by sn1 AND sn2. Although, sn1 is the dominant mechanism.
I think they should accept both :)
guys it said suggest the mechanism, calm down!
and i put for the sodium chloride one thaty hexane cant get between the ions. then
for the HCL one, HCL disscoiates in H+ and cl- in solution, clocking the correct attracted cathode/anode if you get me..
the colour change was orange to colourless as you were going from bromine water to chlorine water

Reaction score
what did u guys put for the MCQ that was like why is sodium chloride more soluble in water than hexane?

also..
why do you acidify to prevent hydrolysis?
and on that question what was the colour change?

the energy released during hydration is greater than the lattice enthalpy

I checked the equation and it was like
Br2 + H2O <==> 2H^+ + BrO^- + Br^-
So, if you add the acid, you increase the concentration of the Hydrogen ions, so according the Le chatelier's principle, the equilibrium will shift to the left producing Br2, thus opposing the change

emm.. from pale yellow to colorless for the titration (i think)

Reaction score
the energy released during hydration is greater than the lattice enthalpy

I checked the equation and it was like
Br2 + H2O <==> 2H^+ + BrO^- + Br^-
So, if you add the acid, you increase the concentration of the Hydrogen ions, so according the Le chatelier's principle, the equilibrium will shift to the left producing Br2, thus opposing the change

emm.. from pale yellow to colorless for the titration (i think)

I don't think that was one of the choices lol... they were;
A) intermolecular forces in water are stronger than that in hexane
B) the hexane molecules can't get in between the ions
C) energy is released when the ions are hydrated
D) the sodium and chloride ions can form hydrogen bonds with the water
... so I'm guessing you went for C?
That makes sense about the acid!
And I don't mean for the titration, I mean for the one about chlorine and bromine! xD