• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry - Salt Preparation

Reaction score
Hey, I see there are a lot of you having difficulties in making salts, so I made these notes for you:
There are two types of salts, soluble and insoluble, and the methods for each is different than the other.
For soluble salt, you may use a solid base (or metal) and an acid, OR a soluble base (alkali) and an acid..
For an insoluble salt, you use the titration method.
So therefore, we have three types of experiments we need to learn:
1) Solid base (or metal) and an acid to make a SOLUBLE salt.
2) Soluble base (alkali) and an acid to make a SOLUBLE salt.
3) Precipitation method to make an INSOlUBLE salt.

Here are the steps you need to learn for each experiment, and you should be able to recognize from the reactants they give you which method you need to talk about, because if you misread the question, and write another method, all your answer will be wrong...

1) - Add excess metal (metal oxide or metal carbonate.. Etc) (for example zinc) to acid (for example sulpharic acid) in which zinc sulphate and hydrogen gas will be formed. Excess solid settles down.
- As the gas (hydrogen) escapes, filter the mixture to remove the excess solid.
- Collect the filtrate ( aqueous zinc sulphate solution).
- Heat to evaporate water to collect salt.

2) - I will use sodium hydroxide as an example for alkali, and sulpharic acid as an example for acid.
- Transfer sulpharic acid from a biuret gradually into a flask containing an alkali (Sodium hydroxide) and universal indicator.
- as the colour of the solution changes, stop adding the acid in which neutralization has been reached. This method is called TITRATION!
- Repeat the experiment using same volumes of acid and alkali but without indicator.
- Heat the solution (sodium sulphate) to evaporate water and collect the salt.

3) - To precipitate an insoluble salt, you should mix a solution containing it's positive ion with another solution that contains it's negative ion.
- Add the correct solutions.
- Filture the mixture ( the residue will be the insoluble salt).
- Wash he residue to purify it.
- Leave the residue to dry then collect.

Last but not least, sometimes they ask you for crystals, so you writ the appropriate meod above followed by:
- Heat the solution till point of crystallization which can be figures by placing a glass rod in the beaker and observe the formation of the first crystals on it.
- leave the solution to cool gradually.
- Filter, dry and collect the crystals!

Here is all what you need about making salts. I beg you if this helped you, pray for me and my teacher who helped me write these notes because I really need it.
Good luck for all of you and I wish this supported you.