• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry practical went rather badly partly centre's fault, anything I can do about it?

Reaction score
I appeared for chemistry practicals at a different centre and before practicals they advised us to go to the toilet before the paper.

I went and unfortunately I slipped and fell and got myself soaked in dirty toilet water. Hence during the paper I was uncomfortable, embarrassed and dirty and couldn't think well.

At the seat I got right in front of the chair there was some broken floor and they had filled a hole with gravel and it was very uneven.

It was not easy to stand on this surface and I was wearing high heeled shoes which made matters worse. Since I do most of my practicals standing it was even painful for me to some extent.

I slipped and broke some test tubes and spilt solution on my question paper. They made me sign a form stating that I broke the stuff.

After that I broke a boiling tube but didn't tell them anything and hid it under something.

Can I lose marks for spilling on question paper?
Is the form that I broke stuff sent to CIE and will I lose marks?
Do I get another report or something for not telling supervisor about broken boiling tube?

Can I contact cambridge and let them know about the problem with the flooring at the centre?

I had asked the supervisor about the floor and said it was bothering me and he said to remove my shoes. Barefoot on rocks would be worse! And others were also unhappy about the floor in some seats but my footwear made this much worse.

I can't believe this went so badly, I normally work well.

Reaction score
Im sorry but why would you even wear high heels to an exam?

I'm used to it, didn't expect the floor to be like that. For physics I did too and it was ok. However this was at a different centre so I didn't know. I didn't think this could happen else I wouldn't have. But others didn't like the floor as well as it was uneven

Reaction score
Usually if you face any problems you're suppose to write them on the question paper but since you cant do that email british council? If you know anyone that took the exam in the same centre make them email too the more complaints they have the more seriously they will take it .. Good luck

Reaction score
Usually if you face any problems you're suppose to write them on the question paper but since you cant do that email british council? If you know anyone that took the exam in the same centre make them email too the more complaints they have the more seriously they will take it .. Good luck

Others were not really too bothered as I was the only one wearing heels which is hard to stand on gravel. I expected it to be a normal floor. Would cie consider this as a valid reason or is it my fault? I don't want them to see me as a complainer or something. I think I did ok overall but my concentration was less.

Do I lose marks for breaking equipment?

Reaction score
Well I guess its your own fault then if only you had a problem because of what you chose to wear .. But email anyway about the floor condition not like they'll cut your marks for emailing you can atleast try
And i dont think you will ... Mistakes happen
Try not to wear heels to a practical again you never know what kind of centre you'll be in!

Reaction score
Well I guess its your own fault then if only you had a problem because of what you chose to wear .. But email anyway about the floor condition not like they'll cut your marks for emailing you can atleast try
And i dont think you will ... Mistakes happen
Try not to wear heels to a practical again you never know what kind of centre you'll be in!

I know that now, this was really unexpected for me and an awful experience.

Reaction score
Would cie consider it inappropriate for the centre to have such a floor or would they consider it my fault for wearing high heels?

Reaction score
Would cie consider it inappropriate for the centre to have such a floor or would they consider it my fault for wearing high heels?
i am afraid they will not consider centre's fault.. maybe because it was never the centre's fault if u tell them that u wore high heels then they would be like why did u wear it in the first place

Reaction score
i am afraid they will not consider centre's fault.. maybe because it was never the centre's fault if u tell them that u wore high heels then they would be like why did u wear it in the first place

Hmm, well if the floor was normal I would have been fine and the instructions didn't say not to wear them etc.

Reaction score
since ur centre is so odd i thought aps hyd is worst but yours is certainly leading mail them mail cie n british council both. in british council pakistan there are many chutias i wanted to know split result and none of them knew what it was. later i mailed 10-15 times but all invain later i mailed one fella he then told me my splits good luck for yea but dont trust british council