• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
upload_2016-3-11_21-51-11.png

(iii) why is the mechanism nucleophilic ? isn't it electrophilic with respect to the organic compound ?

Reaction score
That is free radical substitution.
upload_2016-3-12_10-51-16.png
Can you help me in this ? in the mark scheme, it's written the concentration of the complex is 0.1. Shouldn't it be 0.1 minus the concentration of c(i) ?

Attachments

• upload_2016-3-12_10-51-5.png
    upload_2016-3-12_10-51-5.png
    53.3 KB · Views: 2
Reaction score
26th one. How comes it's C?View attachment 59637

1. It has to be a tertiary alcohol, as it cannot be oxidised.
2. It is chiral, so it has 4 different groups attached to the main C atom.

VAQu30e.png

Reaction score
Are we required to know this? I've never heard of EDTA :/

No, don't worry, I do not think you need to know it for A-levels. I just answered since I studied about it in biochemistry.
Just for general knowledge, EDTA stands for Ethylene-Diamine-tetra-Aceticacid and is either used as an anticoagulent (prevents blood clots) for preserving blood specimens or as a chelating agent that binds calcium with other metals. :)

Reaction score
No, don't worry, I do not think you need to know it for A-levels. I just answered since I studied about it in biochemistry.
Just for general knowledge, EDTA stands for Ethylene-Diamine-tetra-Aceticacid and is either used as an anticoagulent (prevents blood clots) for preserving blood specimens or as a chelating agent that binds calcium with other metals. :)
Ah I see! Thank you :)