• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Hello Guys can you please help me: when there is a phenol group on the ring and you add Br2 (Aq) substitution occurs on 2,4,6 carbons. Many questions came where there are two phenol groups on the ring how will I know on which position bromine is added?
example is addedUntitled.png

Reaction score
Hello Guys can you please help me: when there is a phenol group on the ring and you add Br2 (Aq) substitution occurs on 2,4,6 carbons. Many questions came where there are two phenol groups on the ring how will I know on which position bromine is added?
example is addedView attachment 53048

I believe that the bromine atoms would attach themselves across the double bond. So I'd basically draw that same structure, without the double bond, and a Br atom attached to each carbon that was present in the double bond.

Reaction score
When Magnesium burns (in Oxygen/Steam) It burns with a white flame. For the observation of the reaction, should I use this or should I say Magnesium glows?? Because books mention how Magnesium burns with a white flame while Marking scheme says Magnesium glows??

Reaction score
When Magnesium burns (in Oxygen/Steam) It burns with a white flame. For the observation of the reaction, should I use this or should I say Magnesium glows?? Because books mention how Magnesium burns with a white flame while Marking scheme says Magnesium glows??
Magnesium burns with a sparkling bright flame. Better not to mention any colour for it, we don't consider white a colour.
Sodium burns with golden yellow flame.
Sulfur burns with a pale blue flame.
I think phosphorus burns with yellow flame not sure though.

Reaction score
example is addedView attachment 53048

On the benzene ring, you can add 2 bromine atoms. Next to the OH groups.

Reaction score
Anyone have a table of some sort or anything with all the reactions, reagents and conditions needed to be know for AS chemistry?
This would be for organic... :)
Please!

Reaction score
for anything to be soluble in water, hydrogen bonds should exist between water and that substance right??
but in this ques MS says
hydrogen bonding is absent between Ethoxyethane molecules :( why?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    394.9 KB · Views: 14
Reaction score
for anything to be soluble in water, hydrogen bonds should exist between water and that substance right??
but in this ques MS says
The hydrogens are attached to the carbons
For hydrogen bonding, you need a H attached to a F,O or N

Reaction score
but in this ques MS says
Firstly, not all soluble substances have hydrogen bonding. Does NaCl have hydrogen bonds? No. (this dissolves because they are ions)
Secondly, in this question it says they form two layers. So ethoxyethane or whatever it is did NOT dissolve in water.
Thirdly, the molecule they gave cannot possibly have hydrogen bonds, it only has permanent dipole dipole interaction.

Reaction score
a
Firstly, not all soluble substances have hydrogen bonding. Does NaCl have hydrogen bonds? No. (this dissolves because they are ions)
Secondly, in this question it says they form two layers. So ethoxyethane or whatever it is did NOT dissolve in water.
Thirdly, the molecule they gave cannot possibly have hydrogen bonds, it only has permanent dipole dipole interaction.
I think you didn't understand my question

in ans to this I wrote because Hydrogen bonds donot form between ethoxyethane and H2O
but the Ms says
hydrogen bonds cannot form btween Ethoxyethane molecules :/