• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Can u explain this question to me as well?
Is the answer C?

The description means we have a mixture of carbonate
1) one which decomposes under heat to give CO2 (CaCO3)
2) one which does not decompose under heat, but later reacts with acid to give CO2 (BaCO3)

Reaction score
Thank you... Yes its C
Is the answer C?

The description means we have a mixture of carbonate
1) one which decomposes under heat to give CO2 (CaCO3)
2) one which does not decompose under heat, but later reacts with acid to give CO2 (BaCO3)

Reaction score

Calculate the number of moles of oxygen using Pv=nRT
n=0.0121

they have given us the mass of the elements (1.15g) so we need to check which element will react with 0.0121 mol of oxygen

2Ca + O2 ----> 2CaO
n(Ca)=1.15/40.1=0.0287
using mole ratio 2 moles of Ca react with 1 mole of O2 therefore 0.0287 mole of calcium will react with 0.0143 mol of oxygen (so this is incorrect)

4Na + O2 ----> 2Na2O
n(Na)=1.15/23=0.05
using mol ratio 4 mole of sodium react with 1 mol of oxygen therfore 0.05 mol of sodium will react with 0.0125 mol of oxygen (so this is correct)

answer = D

Hope this makes sense.

Reaction score

An easy, albeit time consuming way to figure these questions out is to simply draw the isomers. You know there's a double bond, so it must show geometric isomerism - cis and trans, that makes 2. But they aren't asking for just geometric isomers, they're asking for all the isomers. Another one would be but-1-ene. So that makes 3. I know this isn't the best way to work it out, but it's better than nothing. :)

Reaction score
An easy, albeit time consuming way to figure these questions out is to simply draw the isomers. You know there's a double bond, so it must show geometric isomerism - cis and trans, that makes 2. But they aren't asking for just geometric isomers, they're asking for all the isomers. Another one would be but-1-ene. So that makes 3. I know this isn't the best way to work it out, but it's better than nothing. :)

but there is a differenc betweeen structural and stereo isomers isnt it :/?

Reaction score
but there is a differenc betweeen structural and stereo isomers isnt it :/?
The question says 'structural or otherwise' :S I don't know, I could be wrong.

Could you or someone else help me with the questions I posted earlier? Just on the previous page.

Reaction score
I thought more the lone pairs more the replution and hence more the angle
Q20 i am confused about A and B??
More repulsion when more lone pairs so the bonding pairs are pushed closer together and hence less angle.

20: The cis isomer is the one in which the two H are on the same side of the C-C double bond.
The one in B is trans as H is on different side.