• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
I
There is a lone pair of electrons on the N, so there are 2 bond pairs and 1 lone pair. The closest angle would be 120 degrees.
Isn't it that atoma with 2 bond pairs and 1 lone pair have bond angle between 104-107??

Reaction score
I

Isn't it that atoma with 2 bond pairs and 1 lone pair have bond angle between 104-107??

Nope, 2 bonds and 2 lone pairs will be around 104.

Something like this
4 bond 0 lone = 109.5
3 bond 1 lone = 107
2 bond 2 lone = 104.5

Reaction score
3: x is 104 y is 109 z is 107 so C is correct.
y has no lone pair so greatest angle x has two so smallest.
20:

23: H2 does not break CO bond.

28: Reactant should have 1 less carbon as one is added by reaction with sodium cyanide. So C is wrong.
CN will be attached in place of Br and then it will form carboxylic acid. Only B will form the correct carboxylic acid.

33:The activation energy remains same at different temperatures.

40: A would mean polymer has same number of molecules as monomer and would be identical to it so not possible.
If all 6.02x10^23 molecules react, it will form one molecule but 1/6.02x10^23 moles.
I thought more the lone pairs more the replution and hence more the angle
Q20 i am confused about A and B??

Reaction score
I'll just add on to Q40 since Ahmed Aqdam has addressed the other questions.

Q40. Requires a bit of reasoning, if 1 mole of monomer join together, we will get less than 1 mole of polymer.
If we end up with 1 mole of polymer in the end, it means none of the monomer has joined to any other!

Its like 1000 bricks (monomer) will build one house (polymer) , the number of monomer is expected to be more than polymers.
Hope it makes sense.
so it can be any number more than 1???

Reaction score
I am terribly sorry. Here is the correct explanation. Hope this helps :)

equilibrium: x moles of R, therefore there must be 2x moles of Q (as the ratio of Q to R is still 2:1). P will be 2-2x moles (we subtract Q from P this time because P is the same as Q in equilibrium in this equation)
Add them up: x + 2x + 2 - 2x = x + 2 so B is the correct answer

Oh ok just one last question how did u get P as 2-2x shouldnt it be 2x same as Q

Reaction score
Metanoia , ZaqZainab ,@ EVERY ONE :)
Plz guys i need help in these :D
http://papers.xtremepapers.com/CIE/Cambridge International A and AS Level/Chemistry (9701)/9701_w05_qp_1.pdf
Q3...Answer B>>>I cant understand the question :s
Q12..Answer D>>>Shouldnt the answer be B ,cuz for Mg--> Mg+0.5 O2=MgO
for Al --> 2Al+1.5 O2=Al2O3
for S --> S+O2 = So2
Q17..Answer B>>>I cant understand a single word :p
Q18..Answer C
Q20..Answer B>>>Should i include the Structural isomer also ?
Q24..Answer C
Q30..Answer B
Q31..Answer A>>>Wat the exactly want??
Q33..Answer A>>> How could i know that 2 and 3 are also correct :confused::confused:
Q34..Answer B

Q_IS there any way that could help me to know if the reaction is Electrophillic or Nucleophillic?? :)
THNX GUYS
:D

w05qp1

Q5. Least tedious method is to use data booklet and look at the the 2nd IE of
A. Mg
B. Al
C. Si
D. P

You will see that Al has lower 2nd IE (1820) compared to the elements next to it on the Periodic Table, Mg (1450) and Si (1580)

Q12. Examiners report said this question is withdrawn. My suspicions is that students were expected to view sulfur element as S8, which many did not.

Q17. Ammonia donates a lone pair of electron to Ag+ and forms a ligand. This might not be in your syllabus since its under transistion metals.

Q18. Apply concept of ammonium salt + base --> salt + water + NH3.
Nitrogen nutrient would be lost in when NH3 is released.

Q20. Draw the isomers you manage to get, and we'll see what you are missing.

Q24. Are you able to draw the alkenes that each option gives? Then I point out whats missing.

Q30. Look at both ends, the polymer is held by ester bonds. So hydrolysis will break it up.

Q31. The chlorine molecule is made up of Cl-37 and Cl-35. Radius is the same for both. Nucleon and mass is different.

Q33. They gave the clue that its similar structure to graphite.

Q34. Statement 1 means eqm 1 shift to the right as OH neutralised, Ca5(PO4)3OH (s) thus dissolves

Statement 2 means eqm 2 shift to the left, PO4 3- decreases.
When PO4 3- decreases, eqm 1 shift to right, Ca5(PO4)3OH (s) thus dissolves

Reaction score
w05qp1

Q5. Least tedious method is to use data booklet and look at the the 2nd IE of
A. Mg
B. Al
C. Si
D. P

You will see that Al has lower 2nd IE (1820) compared to the elements next to it on the Periodic Table, Mg (1450) and Si (1580)

Q12. Examiners report said this question is withdrawn. My suspicions is that students were expected to view sulfur element as S8, which many did not.

Q17. Ammonia donates a lone pair of electron to Ag+ and forms a ligand. This might not be in your syllabus since its under transistion metals.

Q18. Apply concept of ammonium salt + base --> salt + water + NH3.
Nitrogen nutrient would be lost in when NH3 is released.

Q20. Draw the isomers you manage to get, and we'll see what you are missing.

Q24. Are you able to draw the alkenes that each option gives? Then I point out whats missing.

Q30. Look at both ends, the polymer is held by ester bonds. So hydrolysis will break it up.

Q31. The chlorine molecule is made up of Cl-37 and Cl-35. Radius is the same for both. Nucleon and mass is different.

Q33. They gave the clue that its similar structure to graphite.

Q34. Statement 1 means eqm 1 shift to the right as OH neutralised, Ca5(PO4)3OH (s) thus dissolves

Statement 2 means eqm 2 shift to the left, PO4 3- decreases.
When PO4 3- decreases, eqm 1 shift to right, Ca5(PO4)3OH (s) thus dissolves
Great :)
The soloubility of Group 2 oxides and sulphates and hydroxides in water increases down the group?? :)

Reaction score
If 3 bond, 0 lone would be 120.

If 2 bond, 1 lone, would be slightly below 120, still approximately 120 given the 4 options in the MCQ.

Can u explain this question to me as well?

Attachments

• 1402235365352.jpg
    1402235365352.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 7
Reaction score

w12qp12

Q23
The molecule must be broken in two and
1) contain same carbon atoms
2) both parts must have isomers

So this eliminates D, as 9 carbons molecule cannot form 2 smaller parts with equal carbons.
Isomers from when hydrocarbon have 4 or more carbon, so minimum we must have 8 carbons in the original chain to start with.

The bottom text is the examiners report, if what I typed earlier don't make sense.

"29% of candidates chose the correct answer, C. The most commonly chosen incorrect answer was A, chosen by 41% of candidates. If n=4 (option A) then the molecule C4H10 must be splitting to give C2H6 and C2H4, neither of which have structural isomers. The answer is C because if n=8 the products of cracking are

C4H10 and C4H8, both of which have structural isomers

Q29. Option A takes place under room temperature. The rest requires heating.

Reaction score