• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Sorry I can't.all I can say is that for option a charge on the cation will only determine strength of metallic bonding and lattice energy.ratio of charge will only tell the formula.like Mg has charge +2 and cl-1 so compound formula will be mgcl2.Option c seems appropriate.never heard anything like sum of charges so no simply.
Listen what i can understand from this question without calculating anything is that the second equation shows the enthalpy change of atomization which is an endothermic process (the value is +ve) and the only value which is positive is D

Reaction score

You can check the ms (Mark Scheme).
The answer is both oxidation and reduction has occurred in one step.
Allyl alcohol is converted into propanal in two steps with out Catalyst:
The first step is reduction (Reduction is Gain of hydrogen, in this case two hydrogen is gained) from the figure while the second is oxidation (As primary alcohol is converted to aldehyde )
But with catalyst as in one step reaction in c, the oxidation and reduction both occur. So that's it.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score
Abby, did you have time to find any physics "factsheets" ?

I've them spread over my hard drive I'm just compiling them. Having a tough time finding the individual documents in data over a terabyte. Their names are weird numbers so cant do a search. Slightly more time please. Hopefully will upload them tonite :)

Reaction score
How does oxidation and reduction occur when ally alcohol is converted into propanal using a ruthenium catalyst
You can check the ms (Mark Scheme).
The answer is both oxidation and reduction has occurred in one step.
Allyl alcohol is converted into propanal in two steps with out Catalyst:
The first step is reduction (Reduction is Gain of hydrogen, in this case two hydrogen is gained) from the figure while the second is oxidation (As primary alcohol is converted to aldehyde )
But with catalyst as in one step reaction in c, the oxidation and reduction both occur. So that's it.
Hope this helps!

Reaction score

i- The double bond will split. The left side will form a ketone and the right side a Carboxylic acid.

ii- both the side chains will change to COOH. I believe it'll be called 1,4 di-benzoic acid.

iii- The secondary alcohol (left) will change to a ketone, the primary (right) will change to a carboxylic acid [i believe aldehyde will be acceptable too as they haven't mentioned if it's heated under reflux or not].

e) Just add two OH across the double bond.

reaction 1: cold KMnO4
reaction 2: K2Cr2O7 + H+ + heat under reflux

If you don't get the products, let me know and I'll draw them.

Reaction score
i- The double bond will split. The left side will form a ketone and the right side a Carboxylic acid.

ii- both the side chains will change to COOH. I believe it'll be called 1,4 di-benzoic acid.

iii- The secondary alcohol (left) will change to a ketone, the primary (right) will change to a carboxylic acid [i believe aldehyde will be acceptable too as they haven't mentioned if it's heated under reflux or not].

e) Just add two OH across the double bond.

reaction 1: cold KMnO4
reaction 2: K2Cr2O7 + H+ + heat under reflux

If you don't get the products, let me know and I'll draw them.
thnx.....can u give me any link where I can read about the splitting of double bonds?

Reaction score
How does oxidation and reduction occur when ally alcohol is converted into propanal using a ruthenium catalyst
Actually with out catalyst you need two steps to convert ally alcohol into propanal, while when you use catalyst they both oxidation and reduction happens.
You won't be asked how but, but i guess ruthenium catalysis both reduction and oxidation so that's why you will get propanal, or else it won't make propanal.