• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
So I'm supposed to memorize all the information in it???
ummm I haven't actually started the application booklet yet in school but as far as i think... yeah i think you have to prepare it like you would prepare any other part of the syllabus. understand it, practice it and learn it.

Reaction score
ummm I haven't actually started the application booklet yet in school but as far as i think... yeah i think you have to prepare it like you would prepare any other part of the syllabus. understand it, practice it and learn it.
I just rechecked the syllabus content and yes like you said all the chemistry of life topics are included! (more pressure XS) thanks for answering :) , btw do you have any idea where I can find p5 notes or classified past papers?

Reaction score
I just rechecked the syllabus content and yes like you said all the chemistry of life topics are included! (more pressure XS) thanks for answering :) , btw do you have any idea where I can find p5 notes or classified past papers?
umm the past papers are available on xtremepapers' papers section.
the notes ... well there are no hard and fast set notes but check out the apparatus you are allowed to use in p5 as well as the volumes because mentioning the volumes in the p5 experiments is REALLY IMPORTANT. other than that search the xpc forum for paper 5 notes. I'm sure you'll get some help. I'll upload the ones I found too .... I found these on some forum or the other on xpc...
And yeah the most important thing is to practice past papers of paper 5 along with the marking schemes and examiner reports (all are available on papers.xtremepaper.com). My advice will be to start from 2013 and move backwards from there yearly doing your own variants first and then move on to the other variants. That will give you more than enough practice for paper 5

Best of Lcuk :)

Attachments

• Chemistry P5 notes.docx
    17.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Chemistry P5 notes.docx
    17.4 KB · Views: 22
  • Chemistry P5.docx
    16.9 KB · Views: 24
Reaction score
umm the past papers are available on xtremepapers' papers section.
the notes ... well there are no hard and fast set notes but check out the apparatus you are allowed to use in p5 as well as the volumes because mentioning the volumes in the p5 experiments is REALLY IMPORTANT. other than that search the xpc forum for paper 5 notes. I'm sure you'll get some help. I'll upload the ones I found too .... I found these on some forum or the other on xpc...
And yeah the most important thing is to practice past papers of paper 5 along with the marking schemes and examiner reports (all are available on papers.xtremepaper.com). My advice will be to start from 2013 and move backwards from there yearly doing your own variants first and then move on to the other variants. That will give you more than enough practice for paper 5

Best of Lcuk :)
Thank you so much for the help and advice :) :D , I could use all the help needed because right now .So do you think I should start solving p5 even if I still haven't finished the syllabus?

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the help and advice :) :D , I could use all the help needed because right now .So do you think I should start solving p5 even if I still haven't finished the syllabus?
Yes you should. do you remember the atp paper from o levels? paper 5 is more or less the same in essence as the atp paper. except that in this paper we need to DESIGN and ANALYZE the experiment procedure and not just work on the results. So it can be done (mostly) without the syllabus help as well.
I could give you the links for the papers and questions that we have done in class up till now if you want... we haven't completely done the syllabus but we did do these papers... they are just 8 questions btw.. so maybe it would be better if you see for yourself the papers and which questions you can do and stuff.... Best of Luck.
and no problem :)

Reaction score
how to find C and D ...?
i got C as blue and D as red ... but in marking scheme its the opposite ! ..
is it the mistake of marking scheme ?

Attachments

• Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    67.5 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
Yes sure if y
Yes you should. do you remember the atp paper from o levels? paper 5 is more or less the same in essence as the atp paper. except that in this paper we need to DESIGN and ANALYZE the experiment procedure and not just work on the results. So it can be done (mostly) without the syllabus help as well.
I could give you the links for the papers and questions that we have done in class up till now if you want... we haven't completely done the syllabus but we did do these papers... they are just 8 questions btw.. so maybe it would be better if you see for yourself the papers and which questions you can do and stuff.... Best of Luck.
and no problem :)
Yes sure if you don't mind :) thanks a lot :D

Reaction score
how to find C and D ...?
i got C as blue and D as red ... but in marking scheme its the opposite ! ..
is it the mistake of marking scheme ?
As far as I understand you're supposed to take the color opposite to that of the color absorbed , because the color absorbed is not the one that will be reflected into our eyes , that means anything other than the color blue absorbed is the one our eye will see get it? do you have an idea about the simple color wheel? in the question if blue was absorbed the color red is the one that our eyes will see because it is opposite to the color blue in the color wheel. Here take a look at this pic. I know orange is the opposite in the pic. but the option wasn't provided so red is the closest so blue is opposite to red and red is opposite to blue ..hope I made any sense hehe :)

Attachments

• ccjpeg.jpeg
    ccjpeg.jpeg
    8.4 KB · Views: 6
Reaction score
For converting Methyl benzene To Chloromethyl benzene .. in the Free radical substitution ...we need
Cl2 and hf as reagent and condition .. as stated in marking scheme ..
My question is what is ( hf ) ?

Reaction score
hydrogen floride :)
is it that simple o_O
But does it make sense adding hf to methyl beneze .. i mean there should be a flouride in the compound ?
we know that hydrogen fluoride is HF :p most probably it stands for a condition

Reaction score
is it that simple o_O
But does it make sense adding hf to methyl beneze .. i mean there should be a flouride in the compound ?
we know that hydrogen fluoride is HF :p most probably it stands for a condition
yeah well it does seem kinda weird ...
actually the way I have it in my notes, you need Cl2 as a reactant and ultraviolet rays (UV rays) as the catalyst typ ething you know the one you mention above the arrow...
I havent even ONCE used HF instead but thats what HF is i think.... google it? :p

Reaction score
For converting Methyl benzene To Chloromethyl benzene .. in the Free radical substitution ...we need
Cl2 and hf as reagent and condition .. as stated in marking scheme ..
My question is what is ( hf ) ?

Which MS has this answer ?? Plz let us all know :p

hf reminds me of that formula of Energy required for electrons to jump up from one energy level to one higher than that,where h is Plancks constant and f is frequency :p :p ;)

Reaction score
Reaction score

The answer is C .
1 is not one of the answers as CO does not react with O2 in atmosphere,all of these reactions which convert CO to CO2 occur in some heated environment like on a catalytic converter so 1 is not the answer.
The other Nitrogen and Sulfur both oxidize in air. Nitrogen easily goes from NO +1/2O2 ---> NO2 while SO2 you may think doesnt form SO3 without the conditions that are present in Contact process but in reality this happens. NO2 + SO2 ---> SO3 + NO . Now this NO again converts back to NO2 by NO +1/2O2 ---> NO2 . You might say that SO2 is not reacting with O2 but it is with NO2 but NO2 is a catalyst here and so in reality u can say it reacts with the O2 provided by NO2 . Theres another way u cud answer this without even caring abt whether option 3 is correct is by finding that 1 is wrong so 2 and 3 is the answer which corresponds to C.

For this question again you need to prove option 1 wrong and then you have your answer. You have 1 mole of a monomer which has 6.02*10^23 particles now lets assume we polymerise these monomers and form a polymer will the polymer also be 1 mole meaning will it also have those 6.02*10^23 particles. the answer quite clearly is no because polymer is large and if u start with 1 mole of monomer you will never form 1 mole of polymers but a fraction of this. In reality you will form 1/(6.02*10^23) moles of polymer. this is option 3 and so it is correct. Once again dont wait to find if option 2 is correct since you know that 1 is wrong tick C because there is not anyway to have 3 in answer without having option 1 .

Please feel free to ask any problem regarding these explanations .:)