• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
no bro answer is (C) please eplain
sorry i drew a ketone look HCN addition reactions CN acts as a neuclophile juse use the anion generated in its place ans since its an aldehyde it must have the anion an Oh an H group and a alkyl chain and only C fits the bill (Y)

Reaction score
sorry i drew a ketone look HCN addition reactions CN acts as a neuclophile juse use the anion generated in its place ans since its an aldehyde it must have the anion an Oh an H group and a alkyl chain and only C fits the bill (Y)

so u mean to say first cn gets attached then it is replaced by -ch2c00ch3?

Reaction score
no the anion acts as a neuclophyl itself instead of CN as CN is not present there read the question

so bro u mean to say first -ch2co2ch3 attaches towards the carbon in the aldehyde
then oxygen gets positive charge then the hydrogen released from the ch2c00ch3 attaches to the oxygen forming oh?
because thats what happens in the mechanism if only hcn would have reacted right?

Reaction score
so bro u mean to say first -ch2co2ch3 attaches towards the carbon in the aldehyde
then oxygen gets positive charge then the hydrogen released from the ch2c00ch3 attaches to the oxygen forming oh?
because thats what happens in the mechanism if only hcn would have reacted right?
you got it (Y)

Reaction score
Q1's answer is C. from the data u can infer that 50 cm3 of O2 was used to burn 10cm3 of hydrocarbon (CxHy)
make up an equation for the unknown hydrocarbon for ur aid and u'll c that 1 mol of CxHy requires 5 moles of O2 to produce 3 mol of CO2. 6 O go into the CO2 and the remaining 4 (from 5 O2) go to the H2O which means that 4 H2O molecules were formed. so we have 8 H and 3 C thus the ansewr.

Q2's answer is bcz 2 mol of NaN3 make 3 mol of N2 which means 1 mol makes 1.5 mol of N2 directly. then the Na produced also makes N2.
wth 2 mol of NaN3 we get 2 mol of Na so with 1 mol we get 1 mol of Na.
10 mol of Na produce 1 mol of N2 so 1 mol produces 0.1 mol
so total N2 produced is 1.5 + 0.6 = 1.6mol

i don't get q10 so if u get an answer for that tag me ^_^

Thank you:D yhh i got an answer for Q10 may-june-06

Kp= p2NO2/pN2O2
There are three molecules, 1 on left and 2 on right. So the pressure is shared by 3 molecules. The pressure on left should be 1/3 and on right 2/3. Using these pressure in the Kp equation:
2/3 ^2 / 1/3
We get answer of 4/3 which is (C).

Reaction score
umm i think an aldehyde will be formed bcz it is distilled (and not refluxed) so write out an eqation for the formation of an aldehyde from this alcohol.
calculate the moles of ethanol according to the mass given and then use mole ratio (as in the equation) to find moles of aldehyde. use moles and Mr of aldehyde to find mass. use the percentage yield formula and incorporate the theoretical yield and the percentage yield in it to find the practical - or actual - yield of the product i.e. aldehyde.
if u cant solve it then tell me and i'll do it. i don't have a pen and paper handy ryt now :p