• We need your support!

We are currently struggling to cover the operational costs of Xtremepapers, as a result we might have to shut this website down. Please donate if we have helped you and help make a difference in other students' lives!
    Click here to Donate Now (View Announcement)

Chemistry: Post your doubts here!

Reaction score
Reaction score

only 1 and 2 are correct ... in 1 u need to use ur info related to esters... the NaOH wil break the compound from wher -CO2 is present henca an alcohol and corboxylic salt wld be formed... in 1 they have shown the alcohol and in 2 they have shown u the salt! 3 is incorrect because if u look at the stucture in 3 they have totally eliminate the double bond, that is incorrect

Reaction score
here is another one can you help me with it please :)

LOL! I actually have the same doubts.. I posted them yesterday but no one answered yet!
:LOL:
daredevil Can u help here?
Nov 09 P12, can someone explain Q 18 , Q20 , Q22_Why not B? And Q40 ... :)
And in June 2010 P11 Q35?!!! How is it C?!! How is Carbon wrong while Sulfur is right?!!! I really don't get it!
Please reply asap ...

:D Thanks in advance :)

Reaction score
only 1 and 2 are correct ... in 1 u need to use ur info related to esters... the NaOH wil break the compound from wher -CO2 is present henca an alcohol and corboxylic salt wld be formed... in 1 they have shown the alcohol and in 2 they have shown u the salt! 3 is incorrect because if u look at the stucture in 3 they have totally eliminate the double bond, that is incorrect

can u help plz ;)

Attachments

• 2334.png
    2334.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    88 KB · Views: 7
Reaction score
Noo :( Q19 (B) and Q28 (A) according to the mark scheme
answer is B
amount of sulphite use = conc x vol
= 0.1 x (25/1000)
=2.5x10^-3mol
2 electrons are lost
amount of electrons lost = 2 x 2.5 x 10^-3 ==== 5 x 10^-3 mol
amount of electorns gained by metallic salt = amount of electrons lost by sulphite
= 5 x 10^-3 mol
amount of metallic salt used = 0.1 x (50/1000) ==== 5 x10^-3
amount of electrons gained PER MOLE of salt = (5 x 10^-3)/(5x10^-3) = 1 unit
hence oxidation state of metallic salt decreases by 1 unit meaning the oxidation satate becomes +2 from +3!!! this is for the question 9 , some other person posted it :D

Reaction score
here is another one can you help me with it please :)

LOL! I actually have the same doubts.. I posted them yesterday but no one answered yet!

Nov 09 P12, can someone explain Q 18 , Q20 , Q22_Why not B? And Q40 ... :)
And in June 2010 P11 Q35?!!! How is it C?!! How is Carbon wrong while Sulfur is right?!!! I really don't get it!
Please reply asap ...

strangerss Can u try to help here? :)

Reaction score

strangerss Can u try to help here? :)
SOSO247 OKay , in question 21 the only way to solve it is by drawing the displayed formula of the the compound. the first thing I did is I drew the cyclohexene ring you know how right? in the cyclo hexene there is 12 hydrogen atoms and 6 carbon atoms , then from the sixth carbon atom I drew a bond and counted till I reached the 11th carbon atom where I put a double bond because in the question the cis isomer is between the 11th and 12th carbon atom right? the I drew the remaing carbon atoms after the 11th one which are 9 at the last carbon atom I put the aldehyde group because it's pretty obvious it's always at the last. now the last and probably most important step is the number of double bonds between the carbon atoms , now we know that there are 12 hydrogen in the cyclohexene and two for the cis isomer and the total number of hydrogen atoms is 28(from the question) so 28-14=14 carbons atoms are left to be bonded to the carbon chain , so if you give each carbon atom a hydrogen till you used 14 , you add a double bond between the carbon atoms with only three bonds and you will get six double bonds ..I will put the pic. I drew if you didn't get it ok?...question 23 it's C because we get a polychroalkene when we polymerise the monomer given right? then by reacting with water a nucleaphilic substitution reaction takes place in which the hydroxide ions which acts as a nucleaphile displaces the weaker nucleaphile the chlorine atom , it's exactly like when reacting a halognoalkane with sodium hydroxide and we get an alcohol , in A we cannot hydrate an alkane because there are no double bonds , and in B and D it's the same case we cannot oxidise an alkane , so C is correct. question 28 I really got no clue :/ . question 29 it's B because we know that a halogenoalkane plus CN will give a nitrile and when we hydrolyse a nitrile we get a carboxylic acid , when CN displaces Br in B , the final product formed will have a carbon atom attached to an ethyl group which is shown in the diagram given , notice how all the other products formed will not have an ethy group that is the C2CH3 being attached to the carbon atom that was attached to the br , did you get it ?and question 31 I don't know :/ ..hope I helped :)

Reaction score
answer is B
amount of sulphite use = conc x vol
= 0.1 x (25/1000)
=2.5x10^-3mol
2 electrons are lost
amount of electrons lost = 2 x 2.5 x 10^-3 ==== 5 x 10^-3 mol
amount of electorns gained by metallic salt = amount of electrons lost by sulphite
= 5 x 10^-3 mol
amount of metallic salt used = 0.1 x (50/1000) ==== 5 x10^-3
amount of electrons gained PER MOLE of salt = (5 x 10^-3)/(5x10^-3) = 1 unit
hence oxidation state of metallic salt decreases by 1 unit meaning the oxidation satate becomes +2 from +3!!! this is for the question 9 , some other person posted it :D

can u answer plz ...
i posted it several times but no one answered :(

Attachments

• 2334.png
    2334.png
    44.2 KB · Views: 8
  • Untitled.png
    Untitled.png
    88 KB · Views: 8
Reaction score
SOSO247 OKay , in question 21 the only way to solve it is by drawing the displayed formula of the the compound. the first thing I did is I drew the cyclohexene ring you know how right? in the cyclo hexene there is 12 hydrogen atoms and 6 carbon atoms , then from the sixth carbon atom I drew a bond and counted till I reached the 11th carbon atom where I put a double bond because in the question the cis isomer is between the 11th and 12th carbon atom right? the I drew the remaing carbon atoms after the 11th one which are 9 at the last carbon atom I put the aldehyde group because it's pretty obvious it's always at the last. now the last and probably most important step is the number of double bonds between the carbon atoms , now we know that there are 12 hydrogen in the cyclohexene and two for the cis isomer and the total number of hydrogen atoms is 28(from the question) so 28-14=14 carbons (u mean Hydrogen )atoms are left to be bonded to the carbon chain , so if you give each carbon atom a hydrogen till you used 14 , you add a double bond between the carbon atoms with only three bonds and you will get six double bonds ..I will put the pic. I drew if you didn't get it ok?...question 23 it's C because we get a polychroalkene when we polymerise the monomer given right? then by reacting with water a nucleaphilic substitution reaction takes place in which the hydroxide ions which acts as a nucleaphile displaces the weaker nucleaphile the chlorine atom , it's exactly like when reacting a halognoalkane with sodium hydroxide and we get an alcohol , in A we cannot hydrate an alkane because there are no double bonds , and in B and D it's the same case we cannot oxidise an alkane , so C is correct. question 28 I really got no clue :/ . question 29 it's B because we know that a halogenoalkane plus CN will give a nitrile and when we hydrolyse a nitrile we get a carboxylic acid , when CN displaces Br in B , the final product formed will have a carbon atom attached to an ethyl group which is shown in the diagram given , notice how all the other products formed will not have an ethy group that is the C2CH3 being attached to the carbon atom that was attached to the br , did you get it ?and question 31 I don't know :/ ..hope I helped :)

Btw my questions r the same but with different no. due to different variant! :)
And.. check the part I marked with red above :)

Reaction score
hey I want p1, p2 and p4 questions of organic chemistry only....... exam is near n its total mess.:sleep:
Can anyone help me?????

Also,I have got problems in the isomerism: how im not gonna solve it?
.................... waiting for the tips